Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As I am bored at work I thought I should share my latest army list with you all, I want to expand it to 1850 but I am not sure what to add, My thinking is 3 x Dreads all with 2 twin-linked autocannons. I would have to find 10 points from some where to do this, so maybe drop a pred for a vindicator, Any ideas are welcome?
+++ Iron Hands (1500pts) +++

HQ

Master of the Forge
X 1 = 90pts

Troops

Tactical Squad
Lascannon,
Razorback with Twin-linked Assault Cannon
X 6 = 990 points

Heavy Support

Predator
2x Lascannons
Twin-linked Lascannon
X 3 = 420points

Total = 1500 points

Attachments

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hey, Get.
A couple of questions:
_what's your current meta (most common army, gaming style etc.)?
_how do you deal with fliers (say a 3 X valkirie)?
_how do you deal with outflankers?
_do you play statically or you move the razorbacks upwards while the rest stays back?
_is the Master of the forge alone or does he joins some unenmbarked unit?

Asking this because i might revisit a less spammy version of the list :)
Can't really add much.
To reach 1850, i'd go with a big bunch of Bikers with meltaguns. T5, FnP, speed and melta...nasty. Otherwise you could get 2 stock Dreadnoughts in drop pods (270) with a nice 6 Scout unit with 6 sniper rifles and sarge w/ meltabombs (77) that could add some Deepstriking and scouting nastiness.
cheers!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Fairly mobile army that would be undone by something quicker than you.

Things quicker than you = flyers and bikes

As has been mentioned, I think a good addition would be a big bike squad with meltaguns or a flyer.
I think the flyer, as I am a little concerned about the lack of AA.

Otherwise - Nice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have not played any flyers yet, guess I would target and deal with the ground threat first then use the assault cannons on them, as soon as he uses jinx I move on to the next target and hopefully keep them at bay.

After two games I have won both easy, first I played a white scars bike spam and they just could not handle the fire power - then Eldar wave serpent spam and again 6 assault cannons and 15 lascannons is just to much for most people to handle.

I would change tactics depending on what I was fighting and if I got the first turn.

Most of the time my plan would be leave 5 marine units back on home objectives with the preds - move the razorbacks up to mid range ready to charge onto objectives close to the end of the game. (tank shock maybe and I love being objective secured)
Master of the forge and the last marine unit would be in the most central razorback that is kept in cover and ready to repair on a 3+

next week I am playing a dark eldar player who used 7 venoms in his last game, here I would hide everything in the razorbacks and make his poison useless in the early part of the game.
This battle will be filmed and put on the guys new website guess I can post a link once it is out, if any one is interested?

I like this better then the bikes as I can opt to have only AV on the table if needed. The bikes would always be a easy first target.

Master of the Forge
Auspex
X 1 = 95pts

Elites

Dreadnaught with 2 twin linked Autocannons (here is more range and anti-air)
x 3 = 360

Troops

Tactical Squad
Lascannon,
Razorback with Twin-linked Assault Cannon
X 6 = 990 points

Heavy Support

Predator
2x Lascannons
Twin-linked Lascannon
X 2 = 280points

vindicator
X 1 = 125 points

Total 1850 points

Thanks

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
shure give us the link when its done!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Twin-Linked weapons don't equal reliable anti air in my experience, and S6/7 against AV12 (if you face it) only compounds your problem. With your list I would just ignore them and kill everything in the ground, at some point you'll out maneuver them and force Hover mode where Skyfire is irrelevant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well with that many auto-cannon shots you might scare someone into jinking if you target your first dread on them. Then shoot at anyone else with your other 2 dreads. You made their 'scary' flier worthless for a turn, then it most likely flies off the table. I personally love the list dude, and the paint job. Definitely post up that report for us.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Twin-Linked weapons don't equal reliable anti air in my experience, and S6/7 against AV12 (if you face it) only compounds your problem. With your list I would just ignore them and kill everything in the ground, at some point you'll out maneuver them and force Hover mode where Skyfire is irrelevant.
thanks and yes i agree - that was always my plan - i would like to test one twin-linked weapon however just to see if he will jink, so I would start my 2nd or 3rd turn by firing at a flyer and make him think i am going for them. If he decides not to jink you never know I may get lucky and would be happy with a shaken result.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow!

First of all, you sir are my Hero.

I have always been looking for ways to field as many tanks as I can with Space Marine, and this list you posted look so perfect to me!

I always wanted to play Tri-Las Predator, but so far only got one model, and it ain't doing a great job for me. :(

If you can, would you kindly answer some of my questions regarding this list?
I want to play it, and I want to know how it works so bad! Thank you in advance!

1. How do you deploy if you go second? Do you hide all your tank behind ruins/buildings, etc?
2. How do you utilize your MotF? Running around and fixing tanks I assume?
3. Have you encounter any race that gives you hard time on this list?

Yeah, these are the questions I have so far, a great and exciting list, want to hear more update from you!

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all, you sir are my Hero.

I have always been looking for ways to field as many tanks as I can with Space Marine, and this list you posted look so perfect to me!

I always wanted to play Tri-Las Predator, but so far only got one model, and it ain't doing a great job for me. :(

If you can, would you kindly answer some of my questions regarding this list?
I want to play it, and I want to know how it works so bad! Thank you in advance!

1. How do you deploy if you go second? Do you hide all your tank behind ruins/buildings, etc?
2. How do you utilize your MotF? Running around and fixing tanks I assume?
3. Have you encounter any race that gives you hard time on this list?

Yeah, these are the questions I have so far, a great and exciting list, want to hear more update from you!

Thanks!
Hi

Hiding tanks behind a big ruin is good as with the MOTF i can make its cover save 3++
More often then not I would protect the razorbacks before the preds as the key to this list is it has 12 objective secured units. If they want to fire at the preds on my back line which are in the open thats cool as they are not shooting my secured units and have to deal with armour 13 rather then 11, but if they want to shoot the razorbacks i will get a cover save.

The MOTF will be with a unit and in the most central Razorback just behind another to make sure it gets its cover save even when they charge forward.
He is great as he repairs on a 3+ and in the last 2 fights my warlord trait was reroll failed repairs. (IRON HANDS OWN)

The thing is when you have 5 empty razorbacks and one with the MOTF in more often then not his razorback will be the first to be targeted so make sure his one has a cover save before the rest. if his gets blown up he will just get into another and his main job will always be repairing.

So many targets to deal with and with all tanks having IWND and repairs from MOTF plus all troops being marines with FNP 6+ this army is so hard to take down.

I have not had a hard game yet but I am still waiting to play a flyer heavy list or a all out horde army.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just few more questions...

Hey, back for more questions!

I have played a few games with this set up, even though I didn't win, but I can see the resilience of this army. I was playing 1000 point game, so I had to adjust the list a bit to fit the point cost.

Do you think this Iron hand set up will still work in 1000 pts game?
I have tried to setup this way, and here is what I get for 1000 Pts.

--HQ--
MoTF x 1

--Troops--
Tactical of 5 with Plasma Gun x 2
Tactical of 5 with Meltagun x 2

--Dedicated Transport--
Razorbacks with TL-Assault Cannon x 4

--Heavy Support--
Tri-Lascannon Predator x 2

Total: 1000 Pts.

Note: I swapped lascannon for plasma gun and melta gun because of the point cost, can't afford them.

What do you think about this list? I am eager to hear thoughts and suggestions about this list, it's a shrink version of your 1500 pts army, but I got a tournament coming up that is 2v2 1000 pts, so I have to improvise.

***************************************************************************************

More detailed questions:

1. What do you think about the list by the link you gave us? (The one that puts 2 dreadnoughts and 1 Centurion) Have you tried the list? If you did, how will you compare both list in your opinion?

2. How do you usually capture objectives? Do you just drop tactical on the objective and drive your razorback elsewhere? Or do you keep razorback and the marines on the objective until the 4th or 5th turn?

3. What are your thought about marines and lascannon, do you expect marines to serve as a anti-infantry role, where they can Rapid fire enemy infantry with bolters and plasma guns (maybe flamers)? Or do you use them as camper on objective, and just fire lascannon at enemy MC/Tanks?

This is what I have so far, I know it is a lot of questions to ask, but even a slightest hint will make my day. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
My suggestion for your 1850pt list is to pay the extra 5pts per model on your dreadnoughts to upgrade them to Mortis dreadnought (Gains Interceptor and Skyfire if they want)
Aren't those only available to armies out of the Dark Angels Codex?

EDIT: Verified. There are Contemptor Mortis Pattern Dreadnoughts as well, but they're a whole different ball game in terms of weapon options and points value.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late replays - here is my game with a tourney winner dark elder player, who has his own awesome website, He has just started it but this is one to look out for.

I played a typical game here with standard and common deployment which i use in most cases when i get first turn.

He stole the initiative so put me on the back foot - watch how forgiving my army is as-well as simple but effective to use.

http://www.tabletoptactics.tv/battle-reports/dark-eldar-vs-clan-raukaan-space-marines-1500pts.html

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
good stuff :eek:k:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Forgot to post last time but I love your lists. I don't mind the dreads and vindicator additions for 1850 but I think 1500 points is the sweet spot for this army. I love seeing a purely codex based army built on classic units that aren't particularly intimidating themselves but come together to make an impressive whole

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your list is awesome and I want to know more.

Last night I fought against a Space Wolf, he had 3 vindicators, 3 rhino carrying marine that charges right towards me.

Knowing that vindicator will spell doom for my tank army, I pulled as much firepower as Predator can on his Vindicator first, While dropping one ironclad dreadnought behind his vindicator, melta'ed it's ass and got a first blood.

It was looking nice when he was in mid field, the assault cannon and rapid fire marine are taking good care of them. But once they reached my deployment zone I knew I am screwed. My ironclad was killed a turn later by a squad of marine.

My other 2 dreadnoughts (Riflemen) one-shot his land speeder after it scored a hull point on my predator. Once his army charges my tank, it was over. What I feared was vindicator, but in fact what really killed me was charging space wolf marines.

Is there anyway to deal with these kind of army? Because of vindicator I had to spread out for pie plate. But when I do that, it's harder to focus fire later on.

Do you have any suggestions that you will give? Thank you in advance.

Here is my list:

Point Limit: 1500 Pts
--HQ--
1 x MotF

--Elite—
2 x Dreadnoughts (TL-Autocannon x 2)
1 x Ironclad Dreadnought ‘Purifier’ w/Heavy Flamer and Chainfist

--Troop--
4 x Tactical Squad (5 Men) w/Plasma Gun
4 x Razorback w/Assault Cannon
1 x Drop Pod

--Heavy Support—