Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a project back a while ago, before all the system errors happened and it was lost, but I thought now I would start it again.

This is a project showing my version of an Ultramarine Color scheme. The thought behind it is the Marines start off primarily Blue and Silver and as they go up in rank ( Sergeant, Veteran, Captain, etc) more gold is added to there colors. I'm hoping this will make the higher ranking models stand out more. I don't have any fluff to back this Chapter as I am not a very creative writer.

Please feel free to leave any comments, critics, or suggestions as this is my first army and I have not been painting for that long so I am always looking for new ideas and/or skills.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ultramarine Terminators

These are my first attempt at Terminators as well as one of my first attempts at doing a Power Sword. These models are of course from the Assault on Black Reach set. I hand painted everything including all the symbols on the armor.
(Updated the Photos)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
They look pretty good from what I can make out, the pictures are quite blurry.

Check you're using the macro setting on your camera (the little flower symbol) and try and get a small tripod for it if you can, it will make taking pictures a lot easier.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Assault Marines

Please excuse the photo quality, I am still trying to learn how to take good quality photos of miniatures, as I get better I will replace older photos.

Here are my first Assault Marines. I again did all the painting by hand including the symbols and was trying for a bit more realism by adding the scorch marks to the jump packs. I also am trying to bring my army together by making things such as the Power Fist and Power Weapons all following the same color scheme, in the case of the Power Fist Silver hand with gold fingers and Power Weapons will be Red with white lightning.

(Updated Photos)

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on the photos, another of my issues is trying to get the right amount of lighting in my dark house as well as figuring the right distance from the camera :p I really just wanted to get some photos up and this project started. I'll go back and try to fix the pictures whenI have a bit more time to work on them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking good so far. As for the lighting, grab yourself a cheap desk lamp and some daylight bulbs, position the lamp behind and slightly above where you set your camera up with a white/ light blue background and you should find a vast improvement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HQ Chaplain

This was the first HQ I ever painted. I tried to keep with the Chaplains wearing black armor but still adding a bit more blue than usual to tie him into the rest of the army. I also liked the idea of making the parchment at his waist blue instead of the usual color.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tactical Squad 1

This was my first painted Tactical Squad. I actually made this squad from a bunch of bits my friend gave me when I first started putting my army together. Hence why some don't have power packs and the Sergeant has a Dark Angels power pack. This was also before I got better at dry brushing the flesh of the marines. I have another Sergeant that I need to finish the highlights on but hopefully I will be able to get him up tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rhino

Now what Tactical Squad would be complete without its transport. This was my first vehicle that I ever painted. I was happy with most of it except I went a little over zealous with the weathering effects. I have since learned and hopefully my next one will be better.
I also found I don't really like painting vehicles (especially since I do it all by hand). There is to much flat empty space and I get bored. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WIP Dreadnought

And for fun here is a Dreadnought I am currently working on as well. My friend plays Necrons and I figured I would give him a good slap in the face by making my Dreadnought ripping apart one of his models. I guess you could say it was my declaration of war! ;P

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Love the Dreadnought lol And I'm quite happy to see someone actually taking the time to set up a backdrop, instead of use seeing their dining room furniture lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ddraig, I saw a lot of other ppl who post good quality pics up using backdrops so I figured it was mandatory ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sergeant

Here is some pics of the Sergeant I mentioned in an earlier post. I kit bashed him together from a lot of the Commander set (if you can't tell :p).
The direction of the lighting is still not were I want it so I'll have to play with that a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The lighting looks too intense. If you could make a rig like you see at photography studios where a sheet is basically surrounding a lamp then that should soften it up a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Here's an old tutorial on photographing your minis KAZZAAAAMM!

I would also recommend using Photobucket as it has some pretty good editing stuff built into the site. As the tutorial says, don't use the zoom on your camera, its far better to use software and crop the picture instead. You can also brighten and sharpen the pics using Photobucket or you could use some editing software of your own if you prefer.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little, keep up the good work!

(Its also nice to know I'm not the only one who hates painting vehicles!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Ddraig: I'll try and play with your suggestion on trying to get the light to soften, right now I am using a desk lamp, probably have it to close and not at the right angle it needs to be.

@Norm: I'll look through the tutorial once I get a chance. Right now I am using Photoscape which I got from this thread:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121666

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chapter Master/ Captain

Here is my first Captain I painted. This was the first cape I did and know I messed it up, but I have some Dark Angels coming in soon that I am going to paint which should give me more practice doing robes and capes.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
not a bad log mate, if your using varnish mate which it looks like you are its a bit to glossy mate I find the best one to use is the army painter anti shine varnish mate its seals your models and they stay looking good

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there a brush on version? I have tried to use Spray on varnish before, I believe GW stuff, and it ended up frosting my models which ruined all my work. And then a friend of mine tried the same stuff different can and the same thing happened to his model. So I'm kind of scared to use spray varnish....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts