Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i brought the black reach set and the hobby starter set, i was wondering the best way to paint them with the colours i have. also if anyone could give me any tips on painting them it would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time painting mini's.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Well I'm not a great painter, none of my models are highlighted so they're literally painted UM Blue, Green shoulder trims (for the 4th Company), the gaps in the armour (back of legs etc) are black, red eyes (except for my red helmeted sgts who have green eyes) weapons are mix of Boltgun Metal and Chaos Black then the littler things like purity seals are scab red and a white/tan mix.

So my models look nowhere near as good as some of the fantasic work showed on this part of the forums but for my skill level I'd rather have some consistently average looking models rather than doing a terrible job of going into uber detail with them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
first skull white or chaos black under coat (imo)
then UM blue, hightlight with a mix of UM blue/skull white 70/30 then add more skull white to the mix. thats highlights finished.

then the shoulder trim is dependent on the company you want, 2nd company gold, 3rd comp red, 4th green ect. boltgun you should drybrush boltgun metal over chaos black aswell as other metal bits air vents ect. then the purity seals, red at the top then a mix of bleached bone and white at the bottom. eye lenses blood red.

if you have a steady hand paint squad markings on by hand or use transfers

sorry if i left any thing out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
for your next purchase, SM battleforce £50 which is not bad for 1 tactical squad, 1 5man scout squad, a rhino, 5man assault squad and a combat squad.

also post some pics when you have finished. Rep+ for you

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
So my models look nowhere near as good as some of the fantasic work showed on this part of the forums but for my skill level I'd rather have some consistently average looking models rather than doing a terrible job of going into uber detail with them.
Dude, I LOVE those eyebrows!! hehe. I never think of painting eyebrows on but i guess they are an essential part of the anatomy.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you just want to use the colours you have i'd recommend using mordian blue for the armour, black for the weapons, red for the eyes and then do the armour trim, chest eagle and weapon detail in gunmetal. Use the other colours just to finish up the detail.

Something like this:

For painting tips just check out the tutorial section & take it slow and steady. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Dude, I LOVE those eyebrows!! hehe. I never think of painting eyebrows on but i guess they are an essential part of the anatomy.

Haha thankyou! Now i just need a steady enough hand to do mouth detail, eyes, then figure out how to do flesh wash etc. and i'll be a quarter way to having them looking somewhere near everyone elses on these boards :biggrin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@crux cheers man
@varakir i like that design i think im gonna do my men in that scheme

I have already painted one to test your design varakir it looks like this:

In fact no the picture is terrible man but when i get the squad painted i will upload a good picture of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts