Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to track down one of my al time favourite miniatures on ebay the other day. So much so, that I dropped everything else on my painting list to focus on stripping and repainting this model. This model goes right back to when I first started out in the hobby and featured in the first White Dwarf I ever bought (Issue 175). I dug out the issue and there, just as I remembered it was a picture of this model standing in a stream battling an Ork Dreadnought.

The model I talk of is the 1990 Ultramarines Captain.

In that issue he is called Ultramarines Commander and has white trim on his shoulder pads. So that would make him Captain of the 1st Company. His imagery however looks like like the New Sicarius sculpt. He has the same kind of helm and weaponry. Suffice to say, my 1st company will be led by a captain in terminator armour, and I have a 2nd company commander from the Masters of the Chapter formation, so I decided to give my classic Captain grey trim and make him Captain of the 8th Company. A reserve company that is made up from bikers, assault marines and landspeeders. I have a couple of landspeeders that are from the 8th company, so know they have a Captain.

The Captain of the 8th Company

8th Company Captain standing with my version of Uriel Ventris

8th Company Captain joined by the Masters of the Chapter

For more, check out www.thepainteddragon.co.uk/forum/

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
very awesome model, i also liek your masters of the chapter :) have some rep my retro model owning friend :L

-ste-

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If I had known you were looking for one I would have sold you one of the two that I have. I bought them new back in the day but never liked the model enough (he has no neck) to paint them. Yours in painted perfectly by the way, all your models you have pictured are, very cool!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Congrats on the find :victory:

I think remeber this chap from my days with my UMs when i first started the hobby. I spent about 20 mins in the shop trying to decide between him and tigirius, as i didn't have enough cash for both. I went with Tiggy in the end.

Is the dappled gold effect pasrt of the mini or did you paint it that way?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Excellent job on him Gareth :)

I have one of these that I painted up when I was about 15 or so, absolutely awfully! I stripped him down the other day and might consider a new paintjob for him in the future...

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
its one of my favourite models despite the U, and nicely painted for an ultramarine I guess, wish I had one again to be honest, got rid of my converted one years ago.

and surprisingly for an old model he doesn't seem to of shrunk as much as many models from back then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts