Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start off by saying I love the ultramarine iconography with how ancient Rome it feels. Now the color scheme I happen to like best is that of 2nd company (gold is shiny). The main problem I'm running into is the 2nd company is described in extreme detail in the space marine codex. Thus I'm at an impasse, if I were to field 2nd company marines, would I necessarily need to use Cato Sicarius as the commander or would a generic commander suffice? And the same question goes with the squads of the company themselves, do I have to necessarily outfit say devastator squad Tirian with two missle launchers and two heavy bolters, or can I go nuts on what equipment they use? I also see no company that includes terminators, even reserve companies, what are the fluff rules dealing with that? The easy way out of this is to make my own chapter and keep most if not all of the iconography of the ultramarines but I would prefer to avoid that because I like most of the heraldic layout and banners of the ultramarines, plus I like the special characters associated with the ultramarines..

Also would it be possible to combine different squads from different battle companies, or do I only have th option of drawing from reserve companies?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Sicarius would be the name of the Captain if you based your force as being in the 'present' of 40K but you could just as easily say it was Sicarius' predecessor OR that Sicarius was using different equipment (after all in the Medusa V campaign he had a pair of Lightning Claws).

The in depth example of the 2nd Company is just a demonstration of the weaponry they can use, they don't necessarily have to use that particular wargear.

Personally I'm making my force based around the 2nd Company, of a different Chapter, with support elements from the 1st, 7th, and 10th Companies but more than one force has been the combined elements of sections of different battle companies.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi JSE,

I had a large collection of Ultra's at one point. Its important I guess if your like me and want to get it right according to Codex stuff. This is to my knowledge how its evolved.

In earlier editions, and if you can grab a copy the Ultra codex 2nd ed tells you more than anything else ever printed, but the gold was an evolving thing. It was orginally yellow and if you do a search for tactical marines through google you will see some old ultra's with a yellow shoulder pad trim, not gold.

The Cato figure is an interesting one for two reasons. He himself in a evolved figure. GW did 2 or 3 marine captains back in the early days. One was a Cato orginal if you like who had the same helmet and a plasma pistol and sword, the other was a DA captain with a more native american headdress style helmet. (Both are readily available on ebay these days).

Until recently their have been a plethora of other Captains for the Ultramarines mentioned. I can recall a Captain Fabian... unsure if he was 5th company or 2nd company which is in the 2nd edition fluff. I dont recall Cato being at the Battle of Mac... so it might be his predecessor.

Their is nothing stopping you using the codex perfectly and doing the Ultramarines at a different point in the past. They have stuck with the codex so strongly with markings etc it makes little difference if you did an Ultramaine 2nd Company from 400 years ago.... after all their have been other Chapter Masters apart from Calgar... we just don't know enough about them, so your pretty safe to have it whatever way you would like.

I do know that the Ultramarines however would change layouts depending on a tactical situation, it is written quite clearly that devs for example are able to use the different weapons of war, and must be skilled in such. So I would assume the Captain of the company would change the loadouts depending on the situation. (I would, wouldnt you?)

On top of that, you also have a chaplain assigned to the company that I cant recall being detailed anywhere, I have a feeling Cassius was orginally 3rd company Chaplain but unsure where I remember this from. (perhaps the older codex).

Things like Honor guards however are a new thing though so you have plenty of free reign their same with sternguard and vanguard vets. Traditionally they were just tactical marines with better stats (2nd ed).

I do beleive standard layouts though weaponry wise are as follows.

ML and Flamer for Tactical squads
Chainsword for sgt with BP

Termiators with 1 assualt cannon or heavy flamer in a squad of 5.

Rhinos not razorbacks issued to each tactical squad

This was fairly GW friendly in modeling rather than anything else from memory.

Lexi.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see no reason why the generic Captain can't be an attache assigned to the 2nd Company from the chapter Command element of the Ultramarines. As for different tactical units, the reserve companies assign squads to the battle companies on an ad hoc basis, I believe. If you want to have a custom Devastator squad give it the blue trim of the 9th Company and say it was attached to the 2nd for this specific mission. This could lend credence to the idea of an auxiliary commander. The 2nd company has been expanded with the addition of 1st Company veterans, scouts from the 10th company, and Assault, Devastator, and Tactical Marines from the Reserve Companies that it has swollen to near 200 Marines and an XO is necessary to enable more efficient command. Finally regarding Terminators, the armor is so rare that it is only used by veterans from the first company who are then deployed to assist where ever it is felt they are needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts