Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so for my second army im thinking about making an ultramarine army, or maybe just one of their founding chapters. I was wondering if any of the ultramarine hqs would be good to use in a casual, but also serious game too. I have heard that Calgar is a lot of points but other than that I haven't heard anything about any of the other hqs. Would any be worth getting and using in my army, or should I just get a regular captain or chapter master and go from there. Plus what are some pros and cons of some of them. thanks

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It would really help if we knew what armies your were playing, but even more so what style you prefer and the points cost. If you tell us that we will be able to help you a lot more mate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright well id like to build up a 2000 point army, i really have no clue who i would be playing, i just moved and im still looking for a place to play, but if i ever play with my old friends id be playing, either btemps, dark angels, IG, chaos demons, or a salamander style sm army. as for style of play i am very flexible

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey guys, so for my second army im thinking about making an ultramarine army, or maybe just one of their founding chapters. I was wondering if any of the ultramarine hqs would be good to use in a casual, but also serious game too. I have heard that Calgar is a lot of points but other than that I haven't heard anything about any of the other hqs. Would any be worth getting and using in my army, or should I just get a regular captain or chapter master and go from there. Plus what are some pros and cons of some of them. thanks[/QUOTE
Dont' do ultra smurfs

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Dont' do ultra smurfs[/QUOTE said:
Ignore this^ Ignorance is great.

I really like Sicarus, his 1 hit nuke is great for Fex's Wraithlords, and enemy characters. He is also pretty fluffy. A good thing to keep in mind, especially if your playing a founding chapter is that you could just take say, Corax, and paint him up as your second founding chapter, and call him whatever you like. Thats the Beauty of the 'Nilla codex.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Ignore this^ Ignorance is great.

I really like Sicarus, his 1 hit nuke is great for Fex's Wraithlords, and enemy characters. He is also pretty fluffy. A good thing to keep in mind, especially if your playing a founding chapter is that you could just take say, Corax, and paint him up as your second founding chapter, and call him whatever you like. Thats the Beauty of the 'Nilla codex.
Second. There are a number of nasty little characters in the codex. You'll have to theme your army around them, but you can combine fluff with effectiveness. If you decide to use some of the non-ultramarine sub-chapters, separately Shrike and Vulkan have kicked my ass on several occasions when they were combined with a theme army.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Agreed Sicarus is the coolest ultra in the book imo.
I would stay away from the psyker one (his name eludes me) I was expecting more from the main man of the ultra libbies:/
as for Calgar..he is ok although i'm sick of the sight of him tbh lol the auto pass on ld can be quite useful but he is a lot of points.

Shame you are going ultra..alas eh:)

Edit: forgot what I was here for lol
Calgar offers the biggest advantage for your army but is a lot of points.
Sicarus is a nice model and isnt too bad either my favourite ultra so if you're set on ultra marines SICARUS IS YO MAN!!

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Tigerius isnt too bad, knows all SM powers, and can use three a turn means he will always be useful, two wounds is a bit of a drag, and I cant exactly recall if he has power armour or not.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thats the one!..he has power armor and no invun:| he can just gtfo imo.
Yes 3 powers a turn is good but they arnt all that great anyway plus he is quite expensive if I remember correct.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Tigirius costs less than a land raider, putting him at slightly more expensive than Sicarius and less than Calgar.

Personally, when it comes to Ultramarine HQ's I have found myself liking Cassius. Say what you might want, but for 25% over the cost of a chaplain he has some decent buffs. And when compared to the other HQ choices, he is one of the cheapest after stock chaplains and librarians. (And when it comes to chaplains, he is the better buy at stock setup.)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Ultras...(faceplam) uuugghh whatever. I would stay away from Sicarus, Tigerious, or Calgar. All are too much in pts and offer little in return. Pedro is a decent Chapter Master that allows your Drop Podding Combi Melta Sternguard score on Objectives, can be useful. More Importantly Lysander is the best if you want to lead your Deathstar Assualt Termies, EW yes please. Even that Ultra Chaplain is good for his points, T5 FNP with all the Chappy goodness. Then the best unit in the piss poor Ultra Happy Dex is Vulcan Hestan, In 5th Edition where Mech and Hordes are everywhere, twin link Flamers/Meltas and Reroll THs is the best thing for your Nilla SMs can get.

Ultras... uuughhh.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love Cassius and his high toughness. But I do think Vulcan is the best HQ. He is loaded out the but with abilities, and his chapter tactics make powerful weapons even better. I also use jump pack chaplains with assualt marines for a devastating round of close combat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the tips, when i get the codex this week too decide ill definetly take all this advice in account. thanks again

·
Registered
667 Posts
For Ultras i say Cato Sicarius all the way WS of 6 and BS of 5, 3 wounds, intiative of 5 and his tempest blade is great! :grin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
As an Ultra Marine player, and solid SM player since 3rd edition... you've made the right choice, welcome brother.

From what I have used, Pedro is amazing. Yes he tech isn't Ultra, but a small amount of converting and some blue paint and.....

Sternguard are your Friend! they are your bread and butter! use them wisely!!
lots of rhinos and razorbacks for your troops, mech. is key.
Back to Special Characters...... Ultras only... Chaplin Cassius... he is your man. The others are too expensive or too fragile. Also toss in Telion with some sniper scouts, cheap and effective IMHO... but YMMV.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You could make a nasty death star unit using some of the special characters in the vanilla codex.

As others have said, in the codex it states you can use any special character in any chapter, you just have to change the name and give it some new fluff. So try this setup.

Turn Shrike into an ultramarine and add him and cassius to a unit of 7-8 assault terminators, half with LCs and half TH/SS. You have infiltrating, fleeting, fearless assault terminators that will reroll all hits on the assault (and failed wounds with the LCs).

Granted, this is gonna run 600+ points, but it would be pretty nasty.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd definitly take Calgar. He's a freaking beast! He may be a ton of points but in a terminator unit he'll be a wrecking ball. Plus allowing your units to pass or fail any moral checks you want could be hugely successful.

Just my 2 cents. Smurfs... Everywhere I go... :victory:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
there are 4 ultramarine heros that i know about (the post boys getting all the toys again)

Calgar - Bast ass but as with many people can be gotten around in the same manner you deal with normal termaintors....shoot them so full with holes their legs are now looking like swiss cheese. Anyway he change how the army works in general meaning Ld tests are never needed (psychic test apply as normal) but he's expensive) He costs a fortune however and can't work effectivly in any army other than 1500+pts. He really neededs a landraider to stop him resumbaling cheese.

Sicarius - FNP, chance to instant kill anything, giving a tactial squad 1 of 4 special rules, everyone cna use his Ld and re-rolls for stealing the insative is great. However just like most marines he will die if hit by a power fist. He also is effectivly the same as a normal captain only with artificer armour. He's cheaper but and agian can change how you play but200pts instant killed is not nice.

Tigurius - Expensive for what he does and can't take hits at all as he jsuty has a normal libarian profile. Ya he has ALL the pyschic powers and can cast 3 per turn, can re-roll reserve rolls and has a master crafted forcde weapon but he's way too expensive. GW always seems to make all the psychers really expensive and not worth it (except Eldrad).

Cassius - I LOVE Cassius. for only125pts more than a naked chaplin you get a Hellfire Combi-melta, FNP and a Toughness of 6 meaning targeting him otu in combat is alot harder as well as instant death much more unlikly. If you EVER want a Chaplain go with him.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Its a combi Flamer, not melta :p

As said Sicarius is a nice choice with the FNP, one hit KO attack and All marines uses his leadership.

Another nice choice (in my opinon) is Shrike, That Fleet can come in handy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so it seems like taking cassius is a good choice, then im split between sicarius and shrike for another hq, would having 2 named guys in my army be good or bad?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts