Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Cossonie and I am getting back into Warhammer 40k! I own the new space marine codex, the captain, (1) rhino, the dreadnought, and (4) space marines. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I have been working on a lot of lists and this one seems to be the cheapest for me right now. :crying:

Ultramarine Army List

Combined Arms Detachment Points Total (500)
Chapter Tactics: Ultramarines

HQ (115 pts)

Captain
-Boltgun (free)
-Artificer Armour
-Melta Bombs

Troops (250 pts)

Tactical Squad
-(4) Space Marines
-(1) Space Marine Sergeant
-Melta Bombs
-(1) Rhino

Tactical Squad
-(4) Space Marines
-(1) Meltagun
-(1) Power Fist
-(1) Rhino

Elite (135 pts)

Dreadnought
-Twin-Linked Lascannon
-Power Fist-built-in heavy flamer
-Extra Armour

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Hello and welcome to Heresy! :drinks:

Have you built up the models you own to have specific wargear already/are you fussed about models 'counting as having' a weapon they don't have, and also do you have any idea of what type of armies you'll be up against?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer that the models have the wargear as opposed to proxying. I'm not sure what armies I will be up against. I'm trying to build a list that will be good against multiple armies. I have a little bit of flexibility with the list because I am still trying to iron out what troops I will be getting. I'm not too excited about putting a power fist on a wound 1 sergeant, but I am trying to build up a pre-painted army. I'm not very good at painting and that was a big reason for not sticking with Warhammer 40k before because my miniatures look awful even after all of my practice. I'm ok with minor touch-ups but nothing serious. Thank you so much for the response!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
When I'm building a list I like to think about what I can handle as well. At 500 points there's only so much you can bring with SM but there's a lot other armies can bring; you could be facing more than double your number of models more often than you'll be facing something that needs a lascannon shot from 48" away. Chances are you'll likely be playing on a 4x4' area instead of 6x4' so mobility and range won't be huge issues to overcome.

Really you just need some flamers to help against large squads, missile launchers are nice because they can do good damage to a variety of targets. Your Captain is likely going to be a combat character since he doesn't buff squads in a support role in any other way really, I'd suggest looking at some wargear other than a bolter for him since he won't be able to charge after firing it (nor will his squad thanks to the rapid fire weapon rules).

Do you have any experience with magnets, or can you easily swap the Dreadnought arms? It's been a long time since I've bought a kit and despite owning four of them I can't seem to recall how they assemble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input! The Dreadnought does not have magnets but the arms just pop off so that's a plus, I have a Assault Cannon for him as well. I have thought about what you said so I made a new list with some of the recommendations. Here goes.

Ultramarine Army List

Combined Arms Detachment Points Total (500)
Chapter Tactics: Ultramarines

HQ (105 pts)

Chaplain
-Digital Weapons
-Melta Bombs

Troops (280 pts)

Tactical Squad
-(4) Space Marines
-(1) Flamer
-(1) Rhino

Tactical Squad
-(4) Space Marines
-(1) Meltagun
-(1) Rhino

Scout Squad
-(4) Scouts
-(1) Scout Sergeant

Fast Attack (115 pts)

Assault Squad
-(4) Space Marines
-(1) Space Marines Sergeant
-(5) Jump Packs
-(1) Power Fist
-(1) Combat Shield

Should I drop the rhinos at this point limit and pick up more space marines?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Should I drop the rhinos at this point limit and pick up more space marines?
Another option might be to drop one Rhino and give the foot slogging squad a heavy weapon to hold a backfield Objective while the transport embarked squad moves out to support the Assault squad, Scouts, or grab another Objective. You could then take those points and garnish your units with a bit of kit; camo for the Scouts, some special weapons for the Assault squad, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts