Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Marines are probably the best starting army. They are the most tactically flexible and have some of the hardest tanks and armor saves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
pathwinder14 said:
Marines are probably the best starting army. They are the most tactically flexible and have some of the hardest tanks and armor saves.
I would concur.

Space Marines are the most forgiving of tactical mistakes (thanks mostly due to their solid stat line and weapon options).

They also have a large selection of available models.

Venerable Dred

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
What about necrons, their warriors have the same stats as a Marine and they do have the annoying tendency to get back up when you dont want them to, or do depending on your point of view. Also they have skimmer armed with heavy weapons so they move and shoot with a reasonable range.

·
Banned
677 Posts
I'm going with either Necrons or Death Guard. Any n00ber off the street can start Death Guard and destroy a few too many pants-loving players like ourselves. The heightened toughness is huge, as is the marine armor and abilities. And necrons just don't die and have such a small list its easier for n00bs to choose from and get about the same devastation.

Khaine

·
Banned
801 Posts
Actually, it's not. Necron lists are all so similar because there are very few ways in which you can use any given option and still have a chance at succes. To play Necrons well you need a huge amoutn of experience with the army, thus precluding it from being a beginner-friendly army.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
but their durability allows even a new player to last a long time against a more experienced player, plus gauss weapons cause an instant wound on a 6 to hit roll. and all gauss weapons cause a glancing hit on a vehicle on a 6 regardless of armour value. so i would say they would be a good army to start with because of their sort of all round firepower and durability. also they have a 3+ save. well most units do

·
Banned
677 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with that. 90% of good necron players I've seen were total newbies, with barely a dozen games under their belts. They all did pretty damn well due to WBB, nightbringer, and crazy glancing vehicle hits. The small amount of units(way smaller than other armies) is definitely easier for a new player to use. It is pretty much the strongest n00b army. I've played against many new players in my decade of 40k gaming and the hardest were the necrons. Nightbringer was always there, and they never stayed down, no matter the army I used.

Now, I've never been beaten by a newb using them either, but the small list and usefulness of most units makes it an easy yes. Next to that is either geared-out khorne or nurgle.

-Khaine-

·
Registered
966 Posts
ahh but they never had 3 Hotels of Doom and Destruction i'm guessing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personally I hate questions like this, there is no n00b army, there is no one army better than another and there is no guarantee of success.

It's all about the person behind the army, the one controlling it. In terms of a n00b army however I find that most n00bs will play the flavour of the month and switch between them, where I come from most n00b's decide on a race because of a special character because 'he is teh p3wnz0rz!'

I find that most n00b's however answer the call of chaos or space marines as a first army to play.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I concur with BM, but I do have to second the Necrons as a great starter army. Small model count means cheaper $$ to get into, very little upgrades to worry about, and very durable.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ultimate n00b powergamer army? Iron Warriors or shooty Khorne for the raw power.
Ultimate n00b starter army, marines. They're very flexible and forgiving have a good selection of extremely cost effective units and can mod up to hell with traits. Not so good as the n00b gets better and find that everyone tools to beat marines, but against fellow n00bs they're a good choice.

I'm saying they can indeed go wrong. It seems fairly simple to me, given that taking it as sarcastic involves me being epically wrong.
Well, you said it. Saying that assault cannon platforms are overcosted is, quite frankly, laughable for anything short of (arguably) the Crusader.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I would differ from many of the above posts,

IMO a good army for noobs would be Speed Freeks. A very important part of 40K is deployment but speed freeks are so mobile that almost anything you set up can be re-positioned easily.

With a couple of tips on concentrating your attacks you can be very successful.

I started with freeks as my third army and found it very difficult to lose with. Thats why I dont use them anymore.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Actually, as far as a suitable army for the newer player, I'd go with Chaos Marines. They have the durability and flexibility of Space Marines, but with the added advantage that it's very simple to build a pretty strong arm with that codex right now. Plus, the vast number of options means they have vast amounts of maneuvering room in adjusting their army to match them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts