Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mission: Prepared Assault (randomized from Battle Missions book)
Attacker: Ulthwe Eldar
Defender: Death Guard

Mechanized Ulthwe Eldar:

HQ
Autarch, Fusion Gun, Mandiblasters, Scorpion Chainsword 95

ELITES
10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch, Scorpions Claw 187
Wave Serpent, TL Scatter Lasers, Shuricannon 125

TROOPS
10 Storm Guardians, 2x Fusion Guns 92
Warlock, Destructor 35
Wave Serpent, TL EML, Shuricannon 130

10 Storm Guardians, 2x Fusion Guns 92
Warlock, Destructor 35
Wave Serpent, TL EML, Shuricannon 130

5 Eldar Jetbikes, 1x Shuricannon 120

HEAVY SUPPORT
Fire Prism, Holofields 150

Fire Prism, Holofields 150

Nightspinner, Holofields 150

Death Guard
HQ
Daemon Prince, Winged, Warptime and something else 175

TROOPS
6 Plague Marines, Powerfist, 2x Meltaguns, Icon, Rhino 238

FAST ATTACK
3 Chaos Bikers, Power weapon, 2x Plasma Guns 159

HEAVY SUPPORT
2x Obliterators 150

2x Obliterators 150

2x Obliterators 150

OVERVIEW:
I won the dice-off to see who would be the attacker and which side of the table I would deploy on. The Death Guard had to deploy first. Neither side could place any units in reserve which screwed with my initial plan for the list but also the Death Guards ability to deep strike his Oblits. Deployment zone was table halves and the objectives were place in accordance with the mission. Death Guard had to deploy first:

I decide to deploy my force as far away from his as I could on the left flank with a lone prism on the opposite flank for distraction and twin-linkage fun with the other prism;

The Death Guard fail to sieze the initiative which handed me the opportunity to open up. I concentrated on the nearest threats by webbing the biker squad with the Nightspinner and killing one and wounding another Oblit with comined firepower from the Scorpions Wave Serpent and one Fire Prism. The other two Wave Serpents opened up on the bikers killing two. Not a bad start as I wouldn't be facing too much return fire. The Jetbikes Turbo boosted along my table edge towards my strong flank hoping to screen my advance next turn.

The Death Guards turn starts with the lone biker going for a suicide run against my Scorpions Wave Serpent only to decapitate himself on the monofilament web. The lone Oblit manages to stun it though lessening my firepower next turn. The Plague Marines sit tight in their Rhinos on the objectives and open up on the Jetbikers downing one. The Daemon Prince is drawn towards the lone Fire Prism hoping to neuter the threat on the right after the Oblits fail to make a scratch on it.

Turn two sees my jetbikes maneuvre into position to screen my grav tanks with my only success in shooting being to web two oblits hiding in the wooded area. One Rhino is drawn towards my battle line while the other two guard the objectives and the Deamon Prince gives chase to the lone Prism which is turboboosting along my table edge towards my left flank hoping to outpace him.

Turn three proves more eventful as the oncoming Death Guard Rhino is blown up exposing the marines inside whilst the bulk of my tanks sidle along the left board edge and the bikers flying around trying to draw the Oblits fire. The Death Guard advance, destroying the Scorpions Wave Serpent with the Obliters shooting the EML off another Serpent

The Deamon Prince also manages to assault the other prism but only hits once due to the tank moving flat out. It proves enough though as he manages to roll double four against the holofields destroying the main gun.

With one of my prisms neutered I decided to ram one of the Rhinos one the objectives but only managed to destroy its weapon. The two lurking Oblits are killed by a well placed focused blast from the functioning Prism whilst the Death Guard squad in the open are thinned my mass shuriken fire before being assaulted and wiped out by the Scorpions who consolidate in a spread out fashion encircling the lone webbed Obliterator to avoid mass flamer death. One of the Serpents moves flat out towards one objective but is subsequently shaken by the Plague Marines in the Rhino. The Jetbikes encircling the table with the intention of claiming the far objective. The lone Oblit opens up with his twin linked flamer but only manges to kill one Scorpion before rushing in to his death in assault which allowed my Scorpions to consolidate even further towards the objectives. The Deamon Prince flies back towards the action but is out of assault range whilst the other Two Oblits on the right flank advance and manage to shoot down two more bikers who barely manage to keep their morale in check.

Turn five and the pressure is on to claim objectives. The Scorpions assault the Rhino and the Exarch manages to wreck it with his Scorpion Claw forcing the Plague Marines to exit out of the rear ramp and away from one objective whilst the other Serpent plus its Storm Guardian payload zooms in to within 3" to claim it whilst the Jetbikers zoom around to claim a second behind the Deamon Princes back. They don't last long as the DP decides to assault them before consolidating back towards one of my Serpents. The plague marines open fire on my Scorpions but manage to only fell two whilst the lonely Oblits in the backfield advance and shoot the Shuricannon off of the other Serpent. As it stands it is one objective each

As it stands it is one objective each and the roll is made for another turn. Turn six sees the final two Oblits die a fiery death thanks to my remaining Prism and the Scorpions and Autarch Assaulting and wiping out a squad of Plague Marines in their way before consolidating towards the final PM squad. The Deamon Prince assaults one of the Serpents exploding it and killing five Storm Guardians in the process, forcing the others to retreat into the wreckage of a Rhino but still on an objective. My remaining Serpent tank shocks the Plague marines sat on the other objective killing the Power Fist equipped seargant in his Death or Glory bid. Now nobody can claim either objective.

A final roll is made and another turn is fought B) . I open up with everything that can target the Demon Prince... one Fire Prism, the Nightspinner, 2x Fusion guns and some pistols and manage to reduce it to ONE wound plus it's webbed (please die when you assault my poor Guardians). The Scorpions assault the remaining squad of Plague marines but only mange to reduce it to the final man over two combat phases. I'd forgot to disembark the bloody Guardians in the Serpent which would have probably won the combat. The Deamon Prince braks through the monofilament web and assaults the Stormies on the objective but only manages to kill three with the remaining managing to suceed their morale check... locked in combat.

And the result.... A DRAW!!!

Overall a very enjoyable and tough game that went down to the wire. Whilst the mission rules hampered both our lists I think it affected the Death Guard more forcing him to deploy his Obliterators from the start and allowing me to pick them off.
Well played Stuart and thanks for the game!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this as it was an enjoyable read and congrats to both you and your opponent on very well painted models. I especially enjoyed the detail on the eldar grav-tanks.

PS. + Rep for you.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Very beautiful models! I loved all of the Eldar vehicles and the Nurgle Deamon orince was just kick ass! Very good pics and an enjoyable battle report!

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I really liked how well those models were made, but I was most intrigued by the great Eldar scenery.
Yeah, same here. The Eldar-themed terrain made the battle all the more cinematic. I'm surprised that the Eldar didn't win this one though since the Chaos Marines were very light in the anti-tank firepower department outside of the Obliterators (as meltaguns are far from scary most times to Eldar armies).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts