2x15 Guardians bright lance, Warlock w/ conceal

9 Pathfinders

Heavy Support
2 Fire Prisms w/ holofields

5 Dark Reapers
Exarch w/ crack shot, Eldar Missile Launcher

Total: 2500 Points
Model Total: 99 Models

Just wanting to know if this looks good on paper. The gun line consisting of the Fire Prism's, Dark Reapers, and Pathfinders. While the Guardians, Storm Guardians, Eldrad, Seer Council, Harlequins, Fire Dragons, and the Avatar of Khaine will move together keeping within 12 inches of the Avatar to make use of his inspiring presence, while the Wave Serpent with the Fire Dragons can either do the same or can use they're Wave Serpent to block the line of sight to the Avatar to keep the Avatar alive long enough to do his duty on the battlefield. So yeah just wanting to know how this looks on paper and what you guys and or girls think. Thanks ahead of time :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
your seer council will have problems walking across the table as they will probably be the focus of your enemies fire and because of this will die before they get to your enemy. One thing i might suggest would be to put them in a wave serpent and having them get there early on maybe to try and tie up your enemies forces as your foot base walks forward. You might also need to buff up their numbers becuase at 2500 4 with eldrad arent as scray as you think, i play 10 with yriel and eldrad at 2000. I might also suggest splitting the 10 fd squad into to 5 or 6 and getting them both transports because 10 fd is overkill and no matter how many you have if the enemy wanted to wipe them off the table the turn they get out they can so maybe making two squads will make them pick and it will also give you 2 dead tanks instead of one, also drop the exarch and his upgrades, I usually find that a bonus to one of the fire dragons shooting isnt that important id rather have another fd, so when you split them drop those for the higher numbers. because that would take up another elites slot maybe consolidate the harlies into one big unit, which will also save you some points. The storm guardians with bs 3 wont be to reliable for melta so i would maybe turn them into flamers which would soften up the unit they are about to charge. Id also drop the extra 5 guardians in each squad with the bl, because the bl is the only thing that squad is good for really and the extra 5 wont make as much as a difference as those saved points could.

and if you were to make all those changes youd have and army that has 3 real waves, first wave being the fds and the seer council which will do some real damage, then the footbase will arrive, and lastly the shooting base. This should be a pretty solid list but if you feel it lacking i would try and drop one of the waves. For example dropping the middle slow foot wave and just make them into a lot of people in transports to then support your fast wave.

Whatever you do good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright here is the revised list then.

HQ

Eldrad Ulthran
* 6 Warlocks
2 w/ embolden one w/ singing spear, 1 w/ conceal, 1 w/ enhance, 2 w/ destructor
Wave Serpent w/ bright lance, spirit stones

Elites
10 Harlequins
Troupemaster w/ power weapon
shadowseer
2 w/ fusion pistols, Harlequin kisses
8 w/ Harlequin kisses

5 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent w/ bright lance, spirit stones

Troops
2x10 Storm Guardians
2 w/ flamers
Warlock w/ enhance

2x10 Guardians
bright lance
Warlock w/ conceal

9 Pathfinders

Heavy Support
2 Fire Prisms w/ holofields, spirit stones

5 Dark Reapers
Exarch w/ crack shot, Eldar Missile Launcher

Points Total: 2500
Model Total: 85

So yeah, any better?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would drop the bls on the ws becuase those wave serpents will be moving fast and then after that the enemy will probably be trying to destroy them so you might not get to much out of the bls on those serpents. Another thing is that you dont really need conceal on the council because their save is a 4+ invuln, the onyl thing that cover save would give you is against things that ignore invuln saves, now if that was your reason for putting it there i understand but i was just making sure. I see what youre doing with the 2nd embolden and i think its a good choice because having a backup warlock when your first dies is always handy. I dont know how much one singing spear will do either and it also reduces your cc attacks so its something that is not really all that bad because extra anti tank is always good but it could be dropped if you find its just not cutting it.

Other than that looks like its ready for play test, sure maybe its not perfect but now would be a great time to try it out and see what you like/dont like. Looks like a fun list, tell me how it works out for you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I understand your point, not sure though if its worth it to just be sending two wave serpent's at the enemy, granted one is a seer council yet I find it to not have enough strength to hold its own. Still picking my target carefully then perhaps but otherwise all of those psychic powers to then stay close to the second wave and support them in all ways possilble, fortune, fortune, and DOOM! Using the Wave Serpent to block line of sight to the Avatar because if the Avatar dies... Then the second wave is toast! The power on the Warlock would be either conceal or enhance, while that same Warlock equipped with a singing spear will be a help in wound allocation to then be another body to take wounds and preserve the other Warlock with enhance. Plus I had three points left over and thought to use it and not waste it.

The bright lances on the Wave Serpents make sense, just not sure then what to put those points into besides then changing up for something such as starcannons, or EML and to use the spare points to further bulk up the Seer Council perhaps? Or see where that puts me and then see if I still then could possibly throw in a squad of Aspect Warriors of some sort. Still to move a few things around.

I will admit this, I've played Eldar before and really struggled with them. After seeing the Dark Eldar codex, new models, etc I was again interested by the Eldar in that unlike they're dark cousins they remained unchanged as best they could and did not indulge themselves in they're perverse pleasures where as the Dark Eldar did. I was also curious that given the Dark Eldar and the many new units that are available and will be released in November and again in the second wave launch that overall they all had the same dark paint scheme. Nothing really leaping out and taking presence over another while on paper they scream they're differences. I then was getting tired of working on a Flesh Tearer army and was looking for a distraction to then be able to split my time between the two and to better keep things fresh for the both of them without stretching myself too far. I knew Eldar and understood enough that tactics overall would come quickly and could pay off with good games. While Dark Eldar with new models, codex, the rage of the "new"ness of it would be much tougher to get a hold on its concepts without alot of games wondering what I had done wrong. So for now its on a work in progress which I will be posting soon when I have more to show. Before actually spending money and time in this army I wanted to get an army list on paper that I was happy with both how it would perform, its tactics, and its look and feel. So that is why I am brainstorming ideas and figuring it all out.

For now I have put together the Avatar, and five Warlocks, based, primed, and reprimed them. So it will be built up slowly or quickly depending on how some Space Marine models that I am trying to get rid of get sold fast or not. But yeah any help still with the list would still be greatly appreciated :) thanks,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Craftworld Eldar are vastly changed from the old ways of the ancient Eldar race. The entire race fell to depravity and it was the Craftworld Eldar (monks) and the Exodites ("Eurotrip" pilgrims) that broke off and changed.

My favorite part of an Eldar army is the various colorful units swirling around the board. Its almost an art that only Eldar can really pull off thanks to our distinctly colored Aspects. Most other armies are painted too similar across the board for my tastes.

However, it will be very tricky to get a list like this to perform very well at this points level. The list has a great deal of soft spots in it that will force your list to fold without too much pressure.

The softest part of this list has to be the troops. Of your five troop choices, four of them are minimally sized, not in transports, and have very little in the way of a saving throw. A flamer to any of your troops will not be savable at all. In this case I would almost prefer to see there only be 3 troops in transports rather than 5 living with that much risk.

I do not like to push Mech, but when it comes to these larger games 2 transports may well prove to be more of a burden than a boon. Those 2 transports will only attract more attention to the goodies inside, and your opponent will know that he doesn't want those units anywhere close. Similarly, the Avatar will not last very long without Fortune support. If the enemy focuses enough shots on him he won't even survive with that.

If Eldrad is staying back to Fortune the Avatar then his Wave Serpent is not going too fast, which is kind of cutting back on the point of having it up there to begin with. Sure transports keep the units inside from getting hit, but they should be willing to go fast should the opportunity arise. Speed is an Eldar thing! (I would almost rather see a unit of Guardians in this thing)

This is overall a fairly slow list with very little in the way of ranged firepower and long range anti tank. Guardians are very expensive and unreliable platforms for Bright Lances, but then again Wave Serpents are about as accurate of a platform for one as we can get.

And finally, the squad of Warlocks would definitely be better off with another Enhance rather than Conceal. But I would rather see another Destructor in the squad, to help thin numbers before an assault.

All in all, I'd give it a 5/10. Its not synced too well but it was made with heart. I am sure that it could be a winning list if you worked it just right, but I don't think it will grant consistent wins.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what catches people's eyes and attention the different colors that as you said swirl around the battlefield. The best part to that in my eyes are the Harlequins which have fantastic fluff behind them and would drastically help in a color scheme of the Ulthwe. But other than that I fear to be competitive would be to go with Saim Hann and they're trickery. But I already have a Flesh Tearer army that relies on its speed being in Rhino's, baal Predator, Stormraven, and jump infantry. So I would wish this list to be both following to Ulthwe's fluff and background and yet still be tactful and competitive on the tabletop.

As well as most armies that I play in my area and rogue traders are marine based armies, I'm just kind of tired of seeing the same thing, yet next rogue trader after Dark Eldar are released I will probably then see all of the Dark Eldar come out of the wood work and have to deal with them (granted that this happens with any 'new' codex that revamps the old). So this is to change out of the ordinary and to bring a fresh start to the table.

Note on the heavy support, fire prisms, yea or nay? Granted that my list calls for two of them to then be able to combine they're fire and kill marines to a devastating effect even with cover saves, armor (land raiders), and the Dark Reapers (I love Maugen Ra and the background surrounding him and his Craftworld) and they're ability to pierce through marine's armor.

Saying what your saying... what then needs to change to make this list a bit more viable yet keep its roots on Ulthwe's fluff? Is it even possible or is it too far fetched?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay fiddling around with the list and thinking about colors and how they would look on the battlefield together. So here it goes again...

HQ
Eldrad Ulthran
*9 Warlocks w/ embolden, enhance, 2 w/ destructor in a Wave Serpent w/ EML

Elites
2x5 Howling Banshees in a Wave Serpent w/ EML
6 Harlequins w/ a Troupemaster, Shadowseer, and 4 w/ Harlequin kisses

Troops
3x20 Guardians, bright lance, Warlock w/ enhance

Heavy Support
2x Fire Prisms w/ holofields
3 War Walkers w/ whatever costs 20 points each and two of those on each

Points Total: 2492
Model Total: 95

What do you rate this list?

There are two waves w/ the first being the Howling Banshees, Eldrad w/ seer council. While the second wave being the Guardians, Harlequins, and Avatar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts