Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have to chirp in again for the 3-1-0 system.

There are certain armies out there (Drop Troop Guard, Orks, non-Godzilla Nids) which are simply not designed for Massacres- they must by definition sacrifice large chunks of their army to get the win.
The 20-0 system dicked on them, and glorified armies that could easily get massacres with little return damage (i.e. IW's).

That aside I think the changes that would improve the GT are not GT specific- i.e. updating army lists like BA and Chaos.

As for pts 1500pts is the 'design' test level.

As for what is happening- the Events team are aiming for a 'standard template' tournament. So that they will all follow that format- i.e. 20-0 system, 1500pts. These things won't change for GT.

They stress that there are plenty of other tournaments out there with different systems and different pts values. GT is not the be all and end all of tournament gaming.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not necessarily, you could win 6 minor victorys and have less VP's than a guy who won 2 massacres.

It will always come down to this, who should win the tournament:

A) The guy with the most games won (3-1-0).
B) The guy with the highest VP's (20-0).

I vote for A.

As for encouraging Massacres as beneficial to the game, assuming for a moment the GT is "The primary purpose of our Tournament is to get together so that we can play our favourite game and meet other players who share our interests." quote from GT rulespack.

All Massacres encourage in my experience is gravitation towards armies like IW's, Seer Village, etc, and the uncompromising rules fighting to grasp every point. A Massacre usual occurs when one side is utterly bitch-slapped and that is rarely fun.
Whilst some armies aren't even designed with Massacres in mind- Orks, non-Godzilla Nids, infantry IG all must sacrifice large chunks of their army just to win.

So I'd much rather encourage consistent game winning, regardless of size. This gives armies like IG and Orks a chance, and rewards someone for consistent gameplay.

IW's, et al can still qualify without much effort, but there isn't the absurd situation where such an army has Massacred 2-3 of it's first opponents and doesn't really care about the rest as they've already qualified.

·
Registered
318 Posts
But, but we went to a discussion by Brian at the GT Final and he bluntly stated that the 20-1 system (with total VP) was in next year because it followed the rulebook Massacre/Major/Minor/Draw system.

What more do you want?

£10 that it is, :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.