·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd better show my cards.

HQ

Canoness Laurelia 1xCanoness- Eviscerator, bolt pistol, book of St.Lucius. 76
-Celestian Squad 5xCelestians- 2xBolters. 2xMeltaguns. 120
1xVeteran Superior- Bolt pistol, eviscerator.
-Rhino APC 1xRhino- Storm bolter, smoke launchers, extra armour. 58

Saint Alicius (Canoness) 1xCanoness- Inferno pistol, eviscerator, jump pack, cloak of St.Aspira, book of St.Lucius. 130

Elites

Celestian Squad 6xCelestians- 3xBolters. 2xMeltaguns. 133
1xVeteran Superior- Bolt pistol, eviscerator.

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor 1xOrdo Hereticus Inquisitor- Bolt pistol, close combat weapon, excruciators, frags. 28

Callidus Temple Assassin 1xCallidus Assassin- C'tan phase sword, neural shredder, polymorphine, poison blades. 120

Troops

Battle Sisters Squad 10xBattle Sisters- 7xBolters. 1xMeltagun. 1xHeavy flamer. 146
1xVeteran Superior- Bolter.

Battle Sisters Squad 10xBattle Sisters- 7xBolters. 1xMeltagun. 1xHeavy flamer. 146
1xVeteran Superior- Bolter.

Heavy Support

Immolator APC 1xImmolator- Twin heavy flamer, smoke launchers, extra armour. 73

Exorcist 1xExorcist- Exorcist launcher, smoke launchers, extra armour, dozer blades. 148

Exorcist 1xExorcist- Exorcist launcher, smoke launchers, extra armour, dozer blades. 148

Total: 1500pts
Faith: 8

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Looks good. That inquisitor is going to have fun in escalation games ;) looks a tad light on the ground, but that is always the case with mech lists, probably its biggest weakness will be vs ultra shooty lists.

moving to the GT and tournament Forum

·
Registered
154 Posts
A mech army that relies on rhinos. I can see it getting owned by shooty armies. The exorcists are the only real threat out there early on, so expect to see them popped early. The calidus is prob the best thing in your list, but mechanised lists shouldn't overly worry and if an army has decent counter assault they should be able to deal with her. For sisters it looks good though, but i wouldn't expect it to do well at a gt

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sisters it looks good though, but i wouldn't expect it to do well at a gt
That's what I hoped to hear. Everyone expects and prepares for IW's, BA, Eldar, SM's- no one ever expects the Inquisition.

A mech army that relies on rhinos. I can see it getting owned by shooty armies. The exorcists are the only real threat out there early on, so expect to see them popped early.
Half the games I will start with only the Inquisitor on the board. On the surface this seems an enormous disadvantage, but in practice it is actually better than deploying.

I can see where these static gunlines deploy and move up a flank to avoid them, or at least reduce the amount that can see me.

Some people may fall for the trap of advancing forward, or infiltrating into my deployment only to be gunned down when I arrive.

The other 3 games, yes I'm going to be praying for turn 1. But I've made some effort to negate this effect.
I have a lot of vehicles, saturating the anti-tank of all but the beardiest of armies.
I have a back-up ride in the form of the Immolator, should a Celestian or Canoness Rhino be popped.
I have 'A Word in you Ear' to move the biggest static threat (Havoc's, Dev's, etc) out of LOS on turn 1- giving me the vital first turn to speed forward and pop smoke.

The calidus is prob the best thing in your list, but mechanised lists shouldn't overly worry and if an army has decent counter assault they should be able to deal with her.
True, the Callidus is the only reason my army isn't 'pure' Sisters as Barney keeps reminding me. It is just too good to ignore.
True that Skimmer Spam Eldar and Mech Tau will be a nasty struggle for this list, not so sure counter-assault is that effective- Sisters are an amazing tarpit army, the mightiest Greater Daemon can find itself pinging of power armour whilst being slowly scratched to death.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jeridian said:
[True, the Callidus is the only reason my army isn't 'pure' Sisters as Barney keeps reminding me. It is just too good to ignore.
It isn't 'sisters' at all. :wink:

In truth, it is as good as you are going to get. I personally would try to fit some seraphim in there, but I know you don't like them.

On your flying cannoness I'd also scrub the inferno pistol and give her MC for the eviscerator, in a prolonged combat you will need as many hits as you can afford, otherwise she will just burn faith up. The pistol however, will either kill one bloke or nuke a vehicle, leaving you a bit more exposed.

I also like to give eviscerators to my Troops sister superiors but that would cost another 50 points!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It isn't 'sisters' at all.
All but 2 models are Sisters or Sister crewed vehicles, I like to think of it as Sisters with a cheerleader and a psycho groupie.

On your flying cannoness I'd also scrub the inferno pistol and give her MC for the eviscerator, in a prolonged combat you will need as many hits as you can afford, otherwise she will just burn faith up. The pistol however, will either kill one bloke or nuke a vehicle, leaving you a bit more exposed.
Maybe, but the Inferno pistol is a 'signature/trademark' weapon of the Witchhunters/Sisters. I have enough Marines with bolt pistols.

I see your point about taking her out of assault range against infantry, I'll have to be careful with this- but frying an Obliterator before she piles in is worth a lot to me.
As for vehicles, I have to disagree somewhat- if she kills it by shooting at very close range or by charging it, it is still destroyed- and she is still liable to be shot at either way.
But with shooting she usually has more of a chance of hitting it, with assault as a back-up if she fails. Against stuff like Defilers, Dreadnoughts, etc it is also better to melta it than charge it.

I also like to give eviscerators to my Troops sister superiors but that would cost another 50 points!
True, the Battle Sisters are fragile if charged- and who wouldn't try to charge them. But 50pts is removing an entire Rhino, etc. As you mentioned it is very expensive to give 2 Str 6 attacks going last, at WS 3, in a unit that is clearly not made for combat and should be there.

I include them in my Celestians because:

Preferred Enemy (Everyone)
WS 4
Small squad sizes for Spirit

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off, dump the inquisitor and the Calidus. Anything you face will either be marines (who the Calidus is not especially good against) or mechanized (ditto). The points of those units could be dedicated towards another entire sisters unit.

You also need more faith points (I ran 9 and two books in the LA Gamesday tourney last year) and some evisorators. I cannot stress enough how useful the evisorators are in ANY witch hunter list.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I faced 3 infantry lists and 3 hybrid at the gt heats, so he might not face all mech armies. the calidus is pretty useful against marines in cc. The only units that seem to pack fists are pod's and assault squads

·
Registered
966 Posts
Phazael said:
First off, dump the inquisitor and the Calidus. Anything you face will either be marines (who the Calidus is not especially good against) or mechanized (ditto). The points of those units could be dedicated towards another entire sisters unit.

You also need more faith points (I ran 9 and two books in the LA Gamesday tourney last year) and some evisorators. I cannot stress enough how useful the evisorators are in ANY witch hunter list.
sorry dude gonna shoot you down a little here but a calidus is even more devastating vs marines. Hello Mr Neural shedder for the kill - its evil vs them! And redeploying thier key units (which they don't have many off compared to say nids or guard) is gonna hurt thier game plan loads. And she aint bad either in CC.

Evisorators are good, they are S6 Pf's. But tbh a sister armies strength lies in not engaging the enemy and hammering them with focused torrent fire coupled with faith. This getting more multi shot guns in will do better than evisorators.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jeridian said:
All but 2 models are Sisters or Sister crewed vehicles, I like to think of it as Sisters with a cheerleader and a psycho groupie..
I Like to think of that as Witch Hunters :wink:

You make fair points for the inferno pistol, again i think it's just down to our personal preferences

And as you say eviscerators are nice, but if it's them or a rhino... Even I'd go for the same choice as you.

@ Phazael - do not underestimate the callidus 'word in your ear' to disrupt the other guys plan, then she appears wherever she wants and can fire and charge. I've tried all the assasins now and she is easily the best.

The inquisitor is there for the assasin, but for 5 pts the excrutiators can get you d6x10 vps per psyker. at the GT you are gonna face a few with libbys, seers and whatnot. You're especially laughing against nids though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Skcuzzlebumm said:
Phazael said:

sorry dude gonna shoot you down a little here but a calidus is even more devastating vs marines. Hello Mr Neural shedder for the kill - its evil vs them! And redeploying thier key units (which they don't have many off compared to say nids or guard) is gonna hurt thier game plan loads. And she aint bad either in CC.

Evisorators are good, they are S6 Pf's. But tbh a sister armies strength lies in not engaging the enemy and hammering them with focused torrent fire coupled with faith. This getting more multi shot guns in will do better than evisorators.
I know what I am talking about with Sisters. I have several tourney wins with them, including last years LA Games day (though eldar is my main army) where I completely annihilated a Templar, Cron, and Tau player, respectively. I did it with HtH and gratuitous use of Evisorators backed up with the Invul and Fearless acts. It gives maximum versitility in killing and makes it hard for tooled up elite units to harm your army. Most of what will be in the finals will be of the tooled up elite variety, as this is the point at which most people start packing in the cheese.

The Assassin is GREAT against several opponents and is the single best one to take of all four. But against what is likely to be there, the Calidus will have a minimal impact. This is especially true considering he is paying for both an inquisitor AND the assassin, taking his investment to over 200 points. If he happens to run into the right enemy, wonderful, but I would not trade what amounts to an entire other squad for a situational model. In my experience she kills roughly 5 MEQs then dies horribly and is completely worthless against Mech skimmer armies, Pod Armies, and most mobile MEQs. Her best possible use is to trade her for a heavy weapons squad and I honestly do not think many of those will be run in the Finals. Instead, it will be ACs, Preds, and Grav Tanks galore.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what I am talking about with Sisters. I have several tourney wins with them, including last years LA Games day
I'm not from the US, but is Games Day a tournament?

The Assassin is GREAT against several opponents and is the single best one to take of all four.
Agreed.

This is especially true considering he is paying for both an inquisitor AND the assassin, taking his investment to over 200 points.
I thought you knew what you were talking about with Sisters? I have no choice but to take an Inquisitor, it's mandatory to take an Assassin.

taking his investment to over 200 points
148pts more precisely.

If he happens to run into the right enemy, wonderful, but I would not trade what amounts to an entire other squad for a situational model. In my experience she kills roughly 5 MEQs then dies horribly and is completely worthless against Mech skimmer armies, Pod Armies, and most mobile MEQs.
It is not just about 'earning her points back', something just as powerful as her use on the table, is the 'Word in your Ear' before the game. This will allow me to move the opponent's most powerful long-range support unit out of LOS.

My army is a Mech list of Rhino mounted squads. The opponent's heavy support being unable to fire on me turn 1 (because it will have to move back into position) often means the difference between my force getting to rush forward and pop smoke, and my force never leaving my deployment zone.
So I consider the Callidus worth it for that alone...before she arrives.

Her best possible use is to trade her for a heavy weapons squad and I honestly do not think many of those will be run in the Finals. Instead, it will be ACs, Preds, and Grav Tanks galore.
That is indeed her best bet, and again she is reaching targets my Rhino borne army is too slow and short-ranged to reach, and she is preventing them shooting at my force and crippling it.

I'm taking a risk, apparently, but I'll bet that almost every army has infantry in it, and if she see's something squishy, she can go for it.

AC's? Armoured Co? Assault Cannons?

Predators- there'll be a few 6xman las/plas squads sitting around.
Grav Tanks- Warp Spiders, Space Clowns, ?

In the short term, she can appear near a target squad and Neural Shreddar the flame template such that it touches nearby vehicles too (often more than one)- granting an automatic roll on the Glancing Hit table with a D3. So she can stun and shake nearby vehicles, further preventing them shooting at my army.

Essentially her entire rules and wargear are centred around preventing the enemy army from functioning, from shooting at the rest of my army- rather than just as a blunt killing instrument.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well defended Si! :)
Have to admit the Inquisitor Is a waste but the assasin Is a must for your list, the amount of advantages she gains far outways anything 150pts could do for the list.
Any chance of this rematch at some point this year! :wink:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any chance of this rematch at some point this year!
But then I won't be able to say I have a 100% win record against UKGT Heat 1 3rd Place fame.

I could play on Monday 22nd. I'm playing Neil on the Tuesday, if he remembers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just had a Job offer today In Manchester :D but I've also got another Interview on the Monday afternoon so I could make It In for a game If you want?
Could possibly try and get this Prep League thing started In time for Monday?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had a Job offer today In Manchester but I've also got another Interview on the Monday afternoon
Yeah, yeah, rub it in- :wink:

I could make It In for a game If you want?
Could possibly try and get this Prep League thing started In time for Monday?
Sounds good, what time?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.