Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My problem is the practice! Going to a GT is a pretty big step up from the people i usually play. The last game of 40k i lost was in the heat 3 of GT last year. Not trying to be big headed, but most of the time i have to be very creative to lose! I live in Glasgow, and i go to my local GW only occasionaly. Theres generally no point. I do go to Falkirk often but again, i dont lose.

Thats one of the reasons i like GT. I can test myself and play better players!

There is a club in Glasgow called G3, but i've never been and im not actually sure where the hell it is! Perhaps i should look into this as 40k is really starting to lose it's appeal to me.

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
same problem for me, i only have one or two players that give me a challenge and the problem is also getting to play against different armies that are commanded by decent players. Its very different playing someone who knows what they are doing with a properlist than having your mate, who doesn't actually use and army give you a test game

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
2/3 years ago it was different! Glasgow was a great place to play 40k. There was at least 6 regular GT players, including a guy who won GT. But that has all went Pete Tong and most have either moved away, or have given up 40k for one reason or another. (usually the byannual price hike)

I just feel that you learn more if you lose a game. So im not learning untill GT's

·
Registered
333 Posts
We're quite lucky in that respect here in Manchester. A couple of years ago most of us in Flame On went to the GT for the first time after some time spent practicing against each other(and the guys who had been before like Sckuzz). The experience gained from the heat and final that season meant that we spread good practice between each other and came up with new ways of playing and tactics based on these and other experiences.

As a result of this you can get a hard challenging game against a damn good tournament gamer most of the time on a Tuesday night in the Manchester store if you want as well as normal fun'n'fluff games. This has helped a lot of our club members (including myself) to do better at tournaments as you have more chance of losing and learning playing against good players. It also leads to quite a few healthy rivalries! :lol:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Awwww Derek's harmless, he's just a posh little toff trying to slum it really!

yeah i remember about 7 or so years ago (god was it THAT long!) going up to glasgow to see my family for a month or 2 and getting some really intense games of 40k in. Lot more competitive than in preston where for a good few years me and my then mate had essentially ruled the stores 40k scene for far to long.

Its a shame its gone down really, lack of fresh new blood really. This is something i was thinking about with flame on, and why we still seem to be developing all the time. The secret is we constantly recruit in store and at tourneys. We don't alienate new gamers unless they are utter chumps/nobbers and when player ppl who aint as good are always helping them out, giving them advice and showing them how/why we do certain things during the game.

Best example i can think of is Skarr/Ben. He used to be a typical line up and shoot saturday gamer, a year on since starting to come to vets and listening to us lot he's become a tough opponent to play and has started to earn a fiar few scalps himself.

Its something that i've seen happen with too many gaming groups, they start out well, get clicky, alienate ppl with thier self imposed arogance and superiorority and then fall apart through lack of fresh callange and stagnation.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Its weird how things turn out! I'll probably go out and about around stores i usually dont go to, but even then im guaranteed that sombody in that store will know atleast of me!

Imfamy i think! lol

The other reason that most of the people who were good stopped going to vets night is that although we have a rather large gaming room, the manager is such a whang!

Spoils the whole thing. So i guess i'll just have to find this G3 place

·
Registered
137 Posts
The obvious thing to do is to move to Manchester.....

I think the other thing we as Flame on benefit from is the sheer ridiculous amount of tournaments we go to - think i've managed at least 14 in the last 13 months!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yeah and what surprised me again on saturday was how relaxed and chilled out our own BotC was! It was like everyone, even Bennettio had taken a bit of a chill pill. Looking around everyone was the most relaxed and subdued i'd ever seen them at a tourney.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.