·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i don't care about winning GT. The only thing i've ever wanted to win was Best Army! Perhaps this will give me the impetus to actually paint an army to the standard everybody expects me too!

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder however! How do they pick the best army qualifers? Coz as much as it has a lot of convertions, Owen Reese get picked every time and his painting isn't all that good! It's just that he gets staff discount so can afford all the bitz and we can't/wont pay for them!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Brian for your comments!

Just a couple of things;-

1, yes, i think a second round draft would be good for the painting. Because the prize of a finals ticket is very important, i'd want to make sure the GT team get their nominations correct. I've seen some god damn offal up for best army in my time going so i like to think this would be better sorted out. Also an assurance that just because it's been done before, does not automatically disqualify you from being nominated! An example being a Tau player about 2 years ago didn't get nominated because he did the Takada Shinjin style army, and he didn't get nominated for that reason, and his army was georgous!

2, I'd like to see the minimum standard raised a bit! Not really high, but having a black mini with 3 different colours of dots is just ripping it! Also IMO dry brushed and inked doesn't count, but thats just me!

3, Alpha missions might be a good idea! Yes it would hurt my Guard army but i'd put up with it to stop all the infilrating marine armies!

4, On special charcters (and this has more to do with fantasy) If i wanted to use a special character but didn't like the model can i use another! For example. I thought about using Thanquol and Boneripper! Well Thanquol is quite an old model, and the new grey seers are very nice, and i could convert a really cool boneripper! So, can i?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Seems to me GW have caved to all the whiney players who don't like getting it handed to them by a better player.
Well i dunno! Gettin beat is still gettin beat! Whether its 3 points or 20 i don't think it matters! If you play somebody who knows the rules better than you then your in trouble!

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I had never played against a drop pod army, infact i had never even bothered to read the rules for them. I played Dakari at heat 3, and well. I never got kissed, he never even bought me dinner, he never calls! Shocking!

What im saying is that the point system doesn't really matter in the long run! Its winning the game that matters. Sadly i think GT might become slightly less friendly now the qualification spots have been reduced to 40! This just means i'll have to try and make a better army list, read everybodies rules, play against better people on a more regular basis, and paint better! lol

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I must admit, i can see TAC's point. I too think that this new system encourages "pop up" armies, but i concede that this system is probably more fair than the last. I is refresing to see other armies inside the top 10 at a GT than just the usual suspects.

IMO, resiliance and mobility are probably the key to doing well at GT's now! It just so happens that ( to take to examples anathema, dave's and dak's armies)

anathema - eldar, very manoverable and his vehicals are hard to kill!
dave - Orks, everything moves, no heavy weapons, and there's hundreds of them!
dak - Marines, almost everything in drop pods (manoverablity) and he has apothicarys in every squad ( hard to kill)

So thats what my new GT armies will be like. Manoverable/infiltrate and resilient. Im going to try and make it a pain to get rid of! lol

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My problem is the practice! Going to a GT is a pretty big step up from the people i usually play. The last game of 40k i lost was in the heat 3 of GT last year. Not trying to be big headed, but most of the time i have to be very creative to lose! I live in Glasgow, and i go to my local GW only occasionaly. Theres generally no point. I do go to Falkirk often but again, i dont lose.

Thats one of the reasons i like GT. I can test myself and play better players!

There is a club in Glasgow called G3, but i've never been and im not actually sure where the hell it is! Perhaps i should look into this as 40k is really starting to lose it's appeal to me.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
2/3 years ago it was different! Glasgow was a great place to play 40k. There was at least 6 regular GT players, including a guy who won GT. But that has all went Pete Tong and most have either moved away, or have given up 40k for one reason or another. (usually the byannual price hike)

I just feel that you learn more if you lose a game. So im not learning untill GT's

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Its weird how things turn out! I'll probably go out and about around stores i usually dont go to, but even then im guaranteed that sombody in that store will know atleast of me!

Imfamy i think! lol

The other reason that most of the people who were good stopped going to vets night is that although we have a rather large gaming room, the manager is such a whang!

Spoils the whole thing. So i guess i'll just have to find this G3 place

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.