Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I think I have finished my CSM force now and I'm pretty happy with it as it is. Time to move onto a new army. I'm sticking with a Tzeentch and Khorne theme and I'm completely new to daemons (I hope to pick up the codex sometime this week). Just using army builder and reading a few articles I've come up with the following 1500pt army.

Bloodthirster w/ Blessings of the Blood God 255pts

3 Bloodcrushers 120pts

11 Horrors with Bolt of Tzeentch 197pts

11 Horrors with Icon 212pts

12 Bloodletters 192pts

12 Bloodletters 192pts

5 Screamers 80pts

Daemon Prince w/ Daemonic Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT and Bolt of Tzeentch 250pts

1498pts

·
Handmaiden of Slaanesh
398 Posts
I would drop flight off the DP since you DS where you kinda want to be anyway and its pretty expensive for what it's meant to do. I would also drop the screamers since they sound good when reading them, but in action, they just get shot down before reaching something. I would use the extra points to get 2 more bloodcrushers. They're gonna need a few more bodies to get into cc and when they do, they're gonna demolish whatever they are facing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I do agree with deux on dropping wings on the dp and the screamers. I would get a unit of 3 flamers and use the rest of the points on the blood crushers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I included the screamers as they seemed like a decent anti-tank option but as you have said they are probably too fragile for effective tank hunting. I have made some changes to the list. I can't really squeeze in a single unit of flamers and still boost the blood crusher unit to a nice size so I have stuck with increasing the blood crusher unit. Let me know what you think of the new list.

Bloodthirster w/ Unholy Might & Blessings of the Blood God 275pts

6 Bloodcrushers 240pts

11 Horrors with Bolt of Tzeentch 197pts

11 Horrors with Icon 212pts

12 Bloodletters 192pts

12 Bloodletters 192pts

Daemon Prince w/ Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT and Bolt of Tzeentch 190pts

1498pts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Drop one/two of your Crushers and take an Icon, Musician, and Fury upgrade for the squad. Now you have a bunch of individual models for wound allocation making them much more survivable.

I'd drop the DP. Honestly, a Soul Grinder will inflict so much more damage the turn it enters. That big pie plate plus 6 harvester shots the first turn vs 1 bolt of Tzeentch? I use 3 in my army and have never regretted it.

Flamers are a must. Even if it's just 1 squad of 3. They kill everything they touch! With the points you'd save from the DP and a couple of Crushers plus losing a few troops you could easily get 3. I run my Bloodletters 8 strong and have no problems. Just remember you can DS into cover. If you do have to take the odd Dangerous Terrain test you still get your invul save.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I actually completely disagree with the point about Screamers. I run them in my list all the time (see NWGT report in this army list section as an example) and find they are a blessing in many cases:

Obviously against all round AV14 they are very handy with their melta bombs
The ability to turbo boost is great both for last turn objective contesting and if you need to screen an friendly unit (you gain 3+ unit gains 4+).

They are often too easily dismissed by people but in reality if you properly they are immensely helpful.

Regarding the rest of 2nd list you posted a few opinions and pointers:

Bloodthristers work best in pairs as they attract a lot of fire power and you will be surprised how quickly one can die.

As per Ulileam drop one crusher and convert the 40pts into Icon, Instrument and Fury for wound allocation more than anything.

You don't need or really want bolt in you Horrors. That unit is BS anti infantry, taking bolt means you are wasting all the other shots and only hitting 50% of the time. Also don't bother with Icon's in units, apart from saying shoot me they are actually not that worth it. I've been playing since the codex came out at a very competitive level and only twice have I ever really needed an icon to help me out, and in both cases I had Crushers which, as per above, have an icon.

Letters are killers in combat but not that tough. What this means is the second they look like they are going to be able to charge your opponent is going to rapid fire the snot out of them. Take a single big unit or don't bother. 20+ is normally how I field them (if ever).

If your taking a Bolt Prince just kit it out like this: Daemon Prince w/ MoT Daemonic Gaze and Bolt of Tzeentch = 160pts It is the most optimum build for you points and by taking Gaze you actually get some benefit from been able to shoot 2 weapons a turn as a MC. Finally as with Bloodthristers, Princes work best in pairs, or even 3. On their own they can become isolated and easily dealt with. Walking around as a group of Princes is another story.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, thanks for the tips.

I have now decided to show the following list which may seem a little odd but takes a lot of your suggestions to heart. Unfortunately I still can't seem to fit in the much touted flamers, although I have to admit I will certainly be giving them a try at some point in the future but maybe not in my first army.

I was very excited to hear from Skuzzle as you seem to be a top-notch player with Daemons. Consequently (and no offense to the other players on here) I have taken a lot of your advice on board. Any suggestions you have for the following list are definitely welcome.

Bloodthirster 250pts

5 Bloodcrushers with Fury of Khorne, Instrument and Icon 240pts

10 Horrors 170pts

10 Horrors 170pts

10 Horrors 170pts

5 Screamers 80pts

Daemon Prince with MoT, Bolt of Tzeentch and Daemonic Gaze 160pts

Daemon Prince with MoT and Iron Hide 135pts

Daemon Prince with MoK and Iron Hide 125pts

1500pts

All the Daemon Princes should be quite tough to kill (perhaps more so than Soulgrinders).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice list, but it's a little low on AT, so I would drop the khornate prince ( he won't do much because of his speed) and just use 2 tzeentch princes with bolt and gaze (BS 5 is great!). This leaves you with 102 pts. Next drop a horror or screamer and add a suicide squad of 3 flamers. Personally, I don't like em but then again, I've never used them and the people here seem to love em. Use leftover pts to add unholy might and/or BotBG to your thirster. Good luck with your list! Nightbringer

·
Registered
966 Posts
Cheers dude.

Ok my issue with that list is the Princes; if they are MoT don't bother spending 30pts on a 3+ save in addition to your 4+ inv. Codex Daemon's Princes are over priced as it is, keep the cost down or do not bother at all IMO. Also MoK its a pretty worthless upgrade to Daemon Prince, you have a walking semi ok combat MC who in truth is going to struggle to ever gain his points pack.

If you have the choice and want Princes then either just take naked 80pt Princes, if you fancy cheap CC MC's, and run them in a group of 3 towards the enemy, or otherwise be going with the 160pt Bolt Princes I detailed above.

If I was to run your list I would tweak it to look like this:

Bloodthirster: Unholy Might 270pts
*** Always take Might, you are no IDing most Characters in the game.

5 Bloodcrushers with Fury of Khorne, Instrument and Icon 240pts

8 Horrors 141pts
*** Changeling is such a bargain at 5pts that you always should take him.

8 Horrors 136pts

8 Horrors 136pts

6 Screamers 96pts

Total = 1,499pts

This way you are getting the most out of you Daemon Princes and Bloodthrister with only a small compromise to your troop choices.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to try skcuzzle's list to begin with and add some flamers (swopping out something to give them a go).

I'll start purchasing some models and test the daemons' metal in the hot crucible of battle.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts