Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, coming up with my first list of Tyranids for a game against my buddy who plays space wolves....

But I know he's going to field a dreadnought, and frankly, I've got nothing that can touch it...

I've got:

Tyranid Prime - Spinefists
Tyranid Warriors (Venom Cannon and Barbed Strangler)
Termagaunts - Devourers
Hormagaunts
Genestealers - Toxin Sacs

Except for a very lucky shot from my tyranid warrior (I can't remember who has the more powerful weapon) I can't touch him. And even then, I'd need to shoot his back, with blast weapon, so after rolling to hit, and rolling to scatter, I can't see my chances being very good. Anyway, I've got about 120 points left until we're even, so I'm just wondering would you guys recommend zoanthropes or hive guards for dealing with it?

He's pumping an awful lot of points into his dreadnought, its going to have an assault cannon and flamer, so If I can knock it out in turn 2-3 before it does any major damage to the core of my units I'd be very very happy ^^

Suggestions? Is there perhaps any other unit I can get for 120 (ish) points that could take him out? :D

Someone did mention that I might get lucky with my stealers, but with armour value of 12 on the front of the dread, i can't see melee being a viable option with my stealers against him :(

Cheers,
//RWARR

·
Registered
365 Posts
Either would work, but I would favor the Zoans.

On the plus side:
Better chance of killing the dread
Hard to kill from range
Extra synapse

Drawbacks
They can be instant killed by a str 8+ weapon if they fail their inv save
If the enemy has a psycker, they can be shut down
They can't hide like the guard can since they need LOS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I'll settle with the Zoans :D

Here's hoping I pop it in the first round or two of combat, and can then turn my attention onto some of his other units....

Plan is to run along the outskirts with the devourer termagants, popping off shots. Try and use my warriors to pin his infantry and hopefully land a blast template on target. All the while keep my hormies and stealers behind cover, and then when i get a chance, Run at his guys, hopefully get into assault distance and then pop! Hormies take anyone, and stealers with toxin sacs take out his more elite units....

But all this will only work if I take out his dread :(

Can anyone help em clear up the rules... If I hit him with my toxin sac genestealers, and roll a 4 or greater, does that wound regardless of armour save.. or does he still get that? :/

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can anyone help em clear up the rules... If I hit him with my toxin sac genestealers, and roll a 4 or greater, does that wound regardless of armour save.. or does he still get that? :/
The toxin sacs is a replacement for looking up the genestealer's str verses the enemy toughness. So you ignore the To Wound table and always wound on a 4+. If you roll a 6 to wound, you apply the rending rule and ignore armor saves. Otherwise, armor saves are taken as normal.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think under the circumstances hive guard are the better choice, longer range than the Zoans plus the ability to hit it from behind impassable terrain are very useful, if he's got a rune priest the zoans could be shut down half the time, so I'd rather be able to fire 4 S8 shots than 2 S10 lances which can be stopped on a 4+. Plus a dred isnt that heavily armoured so the lance ability doesnt come into it.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Hive Guard all the way. You'd need to get entirely too close to him with Zoanthropes who aren't very good at defending themselves at close range. A pair of Hive Guard can sit a good distance away and fire away at the Dreadnought every turn until its dead or they are. With their high Toughness and good armor save, it can be a real pain for the enemy to kill Hive Guard, especially if they get into cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts