Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SilverMK2 from dakka dakka came down to my place on Sunday night. Will be the second time I've met him now, I was thinking of playing with Imperial Fists or Tyranids I gave SilverMK2 the choice and he went for Tyranids as he hadn't played against them in the new codex.

Tyranids "Hive Fleet Krakken" - 2,000 points

HQ

Hive Tyrant - bonesword & lashwhip, devourers, old adversary & wings

Elite

2 x Hive Guard

2 x Hive Guard

2 x Zoanthropes w/ Myceptic Spore

Troops

5 x Warriors - rending claws, deathspitters & toxin sacs

30 x Termagants - fleshborers

20 x Hormagaunts - toxin sacs

20 x Hormagaunts - toxin sacs

Heavy Support

Trygon - Prime adrenal glands

Trygon - adrenal glands

Trygon - adrenal glands

Total: 1995

Chaos Space Marines - 2,000 points

HQ

Daemon Prince - wings & MoN

Daemon Prince - wings & MoN

Greater Daemon

Elites

5 x Chaos Terminators w/ Land Raider - heavy flamer

Troops

7 x CSM w/ Rhino - meltagun - champion w/ power fist

Fast Attack

5 x Raptors - 2 x meltaguns

5 x Raptors - 2 x meltaguns

Heavy Support

Predator - autocannon & heavy bolters

5 x Havocs - 4 x autocannons

5 x Havocs - 4 x autocannons

Game: Pitched Battle & Seize Ground

Deployment

I lost the roll off and SilverMK2 decided to go second. We put down the objectives with 4 ending up pretty close, we had the crater, tower, machine ruin and shrine objectives in the ruins respectively.

I deployed both units of Hive Guard on the shrine ruin with the Hive Tyrant in cover but outside the ruins footprint with a unit of Hormagaunts. Another unit of Hormagaunts deployed to the right of the shrine wall - my plan here was to flank forward and enclose the enemy units with a pincer formation. A Trygon supported the Tyrant and that hid in the shrine ruin. I deployed the Prime and supporting Trygon behind the tower ruin and then a the Termagants with the Warriors slightly behind - I plan to get the Warriors to claim the tower objective and keep the 'Gants floating around as I can string them out and claim several objectives at once.

CSM deployed with both units of Havocs in ruins then each Raptor squad behind those ruins. On the left flank was the Predator, in the centre the Raider and supporting Rhino with the Princes hide behind each and on the right flank was the two other Rhinos.

* Tactical Notes

I plan to move the Prime and Trygon duo up the board and take out the Predator and then the Raptor squads; the Raptors have meltas and can contest objectives quickly, I'll sweep them back down and corner the Princes. I'll use the Tyrant and Trygon combo to tackle Terminators, troops and Princes though I'll use the Hormagaunts to possibly bog them down, or get the normal troops. With all fast moving targets destroyed and no troops remaining I should claim objectives and win, hopefully ;)

Turn 1

I move the Warriors onto the tower ruin and they start to make the climb, the objective is at the top. Prime and Trygon move out towards the Predator. Hive Tyrant lands just outside terrain while the Hormagaunts and supporting Trygon follow I move the other unit of Hormagaunts onto the shrine objective while a single unit of Hive Guard moves out hiding behind the Trygon so they can be in range of transports first turn.

I run the Warriors onto the first floor of the shrine ruin and run the Prime and Trygon too. Hive Guard fire at a Rhino but do nothing.

Two Rhinos supporting each other move out 12" while the Raider and supporting Rhino moves 12" into the centre ruin (not placed due to room) with the Princes following behind, the Chaos Terminators then bail out ready to assault the Trygon.

Shooting the Predator fires at the Prime and the heavy bolters claim three wounds while the Havocs claim another two leaving the Prime with one wound! Other Havoc unit fires at the Hive Guard and wounds one after a failed cover save. Chaos Terminators blast the heavy flamer and it covers the Trygon, Hive Guard and a single Hormagaunt but only the Hormagaunt gets roasted.

In assault the Chaos Terminators charge the Trygon, the Trygon only manages to kill one and takes two wounds.

* Tactical Notes

Well, my Prime only has one wound left! I'm gutted it took that amount of punishment and lost those amount of wounds, I'm pretty sure that heavy bolter from the Pred got lucky! At least it as a single wound to start smashing some stuff!

I'm going to throw a unit of Hormagaunts into the Chaos Terminators and help the Trygon, I'll start blasting some armour and start shooting a Daemon Prince and throw the Tyrant at it - if I cast paroxysm ok it should be interesting.

Turn 2

Zoanthropes come in from reserve and land on target right behind the Land Raider.

I move the Prime and Trygon towards the Predator and Havocs nearby. I move the Warriors though terrain and they make it onto the top level and claim the tower objective. I fly the Tyrant over the centre machine ruin so it's ready to smash into a Prince.

Shooting the Zoanthropes fire but only managed to break a lascannon of the Land Raider. The Tyrant casts paroxysm on a Prince and scores a wound with devourer fire too. Warriors go to fire at Havocs closest to the Prime and Trygon but just out of range. A single unit of Hive Guard fires and wounds the Daemon Prince the Tyrant is going for while another unit fires at a Rhino and scores crew shaken.

In assault the Trygon slaughters the Chaos Terminators and takes no wounds leaving the Hormagaunts nothing to attack. The Hive Tyrant batters the Daemon Prince and kills it, all units then consolidate back into the centre machine ruin. The Prime assaults the Predator and autohits seems it hasn't moved and wrecks it though the other Trygon fails to move through cover and assault anything.

Chaos roll for reserves but the G.D fails to come in. Raptors by the Havocs near the solo Trygon move to intercept the Myceptic Spore, the remaining Daemon Prince goes after the Zoanthropes while the Land Raider backs 1" away from the Trygon while the squad in the supporting Rhino bail out and manage to move onto the top level of the machine ruin and claim that objective. The other squad of Raptors land by the Trygon and the two Rhinos come past stopping about 8" away from the shrine ruin.

Shooting the solo Trygon takes several wounds from a Havoc squad while the other finishes off the Prime but still hangs in with two wounds. The Raptors melt the Spore. The Raider, Raptors and CSM on the objective fire meltas and lascannon and polish off the Trygons last four wounds.

In assault the Daemon Prince charges the Zoanthropes but fails to score any wounds after saves.

(Hive Tyrant is actually under the centre ruin not where pictured)

* Tactical Notes

Damn those autocannons are starting to piss me off! I've lost the Prime and the supporting Trygon has taken several wounds thanks to them. Then to add salt to the wounds I lost another Trygon to mass AP1 and AP2 fire - bye bye Trygons!

Kill the Troop choices!

Turn 3

Solo Trygon moves to assault the Havocs nearby. Hormagaunts move out of terrain ready to tackle the Raptors which gunned down the Trygon while the Hive Tyrant moves through cover and gets ready to assault the unit of CSM on the objective.

Shooting Hive Guard pop the Rhino which has suffered no damage while the other Hive Guard fire at the CSM on the objective killing a few, the Warriors and a few Gaunts add to the fire power killing another one too. The Tyrant fires devourers and paroxysm at the CSM while the last Trygon fries a Chaos Space Marine with bio electricity.

In assault the Tyrant assaults the CSM and takes a single wound thanks to the power fist but two CSM survive and passes morale to fight another day. Hormagaunts charge the Raptors and end up locked in combat after two Raptors snuff it. Trygon mauls the Havocs killing them all.

Greater Daemon now arrives from reserve popping the Champion locked with the Tyrant. Land Raider and Rhino move out of terrain and target the Termagants.

Shooting the Raptors not in combat finish off the Trygon while one Havoc squad kills a Hive Guard and wound another as the other Havoc unit guns down some Termagants with support from the Raider and Rhino. The CSM out the busted Rhino hold position and fire meltagun and bolters into the shrine ruin at the Hormagaunts but all pass cover saves.

In assault the Hive Tyrant finishes off the CSM squad while the Greater Daemon puts a single wound on it. The Zoanthropes hold the Daemon Prince up some more and take no wounds. The Hormagaunts finish the last two Raptors off.

* Tactical Notes

I'm glad those Zoanthropes are holding out, they've kept the Prince tied up so he cannot go for any objectives or tackle any of my gribblies or buggers as I call them lol. I doubt the Tyrant will survive much longer but if I can wipe out the other two troop units then no troop units will remain and a single Raptor unit which is still some distance away.

Turn 4

Hormagaunts move out of terrain ready to charge the unit out the exploded Rhino. That's about my movement.

Shooting the Hive Guard and Warriors only manage to score weapon destroyed and immobilised on the shaken Rhino in a desperate bid to get the troops out.

In assault the the Tyrant falls but dishes out some pain to the Greater Daemon. The Hormagaunts wipe out the CSM squad. The Daemon Prince scores two wounds this time, the single Zoanthrope fails fearless saves and is killed.

Last Raptor unit moves up within 3" of the crater objective, the Greater Daemon just moves down a single floor. The Daemon Princes land at the foot of the tower ruin and then runs inside. The Land Raider moves through the shrine ruin and tank shocks the Hormagaunts which just move out the way - the Raider now contests that objective. The last working Rhino tank shocks the Termagants and they just move out the way.

Shooting the Havocs fire and start killing Hormagaunts but they get cover saves, luckily. The CSM unit which got out the transport fires bolt pistols and meltagun killing several.

In assault the CSM beat the Hormagaunts, they out of synapse and fall back.

* Tactical Notes

Ok I lost the Tyrant which was keeping the G.D tied up but I didn't expect it to last. At least it has two wounds left and I can hopefully deal with it. The solo Daemon Prince is hiding at the foot of the tower, if it moves up it can assault my Warriors and pull them off the objective so I'm gonna shoot it with Termagants and then assault it locking it in assault - it cannot kill the 26 remaining Termagants.

Turn 5

Hormagaunts fail leadership and fall back off the board. Termagants move to get LOS on the Daemon Prince which would be inside of the building.

Warriors fire at the G.D along with the Hive Guard and finish it off. Some how and I cannot remember how the last CSM unit is killed leaving no troops remaining.

In assault the Termagants assault the D.P and score a single wound but take several fearless saves losing four Termagants in total.

In the CSM turn nothing really happens movement wise as nothing can or wants to move or locked in assault. The Havocs fire at the solo Hive Guard and finish it off while the Daemon Prince swats more Termagants but remains in combat.

At this point we call it day due to time and SilverMK2 has a drive home. Tyranids win claiming a single objective and contest another while CSM contest two objectives.

Summary

Well I either underestimated autocannons or they got damn lucky - they were a pain in the ass and I think volume of fire did the trick with some unlucky saves from those heavy bolters too. On average I lost a monstrous creature per turn, I was hoping the Trygons would have lasted longer perhaps kill those Havocs a turn earlier and then assault Raptors and then the other Trygon with the Hive Tyrant tackle some other troops or maybe the other Havocs - though once the Havocs killed my Trygons there fire power did become limited.

Only mistake I can think of it I was firing a single shot each for each Hive Guard, god knows why because I know they get two shots each - perhaps I would have wrecked a transport sooner - who knows!?

If I was SilverMK2 I would have sent the Raptors after the Trygon Prime instead of the Spore, wasn't much point going after the Spore as it doesn't do a lot. Kill the Prime and Trygon with Raptors and Havocs and the Havocs probably would have survived. I would have also used the other unit of Havocs to gun down the Zoanthropes and use the Daemon Prince to smash infantry and the G.D should have appeared by one of the Rhinos, not the squad on the objective and then tackle my infantry and killing my troop numbers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yet another great report, I can't for the life of me understand why so many veiws and no responses. Keep the carnage flowing mercer!

What the hell, have some more rep for your commitment to the game!

(curses, I need to spread the rep love a little more)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love these battle reports. Particularly explaining why you make the tactical choices. You must be really good to keep such notes in the thick of it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love these battle reports. Particularly explaining why you make the tactical choices. You must be really good to keep such notes in the thick of it.
I make mental notes and taking pics reminds me of things. Tactical notes on reports is good so you know my thinking and what I'm planning.

You certainly seem to be on a winning streak! Unless we don't know of the defeats. ;)
Yes I am doing well. I report all my battles whether I win or lose, infact if you look at another report I posted recently Eldar vs Imperial Guard you'll see a lost due to my own stupidity and bad luck :(

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
way to win....

...though per your batrep, it seems that Tyrants and Trygons die much too easy, and (sorry i'm off topic here, but i'm thinking) would it be a viable option to bring back Carnifexes as a choice for the Nids?

i mean you could leave your HQs, Troops, and Elites as you have them, but would it be viable to take 2-3 'Fex Broods with backing Tervigons?

and since Doombreed couldn't rep you i will, so have have some. PM me about what you think on the idea; there's not many Tyranid players in my area, so i'd love to chew the fat on Tyranid tactics with you.

well done!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really about the Trygons. The autocannons just did plenty of wounds scoring about 5 wounds and the heavy bolter got very lucky scoring 3 unsaved wounds. Tyrants on the other hand do die more quickly than I like them too. Not really Carnifex because it has less wounds and slower than a Trygon and less attacks too. The Trygon is superior to a 'Fex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts