Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what would happen if a Tyranid Hive Fleet flew into the Eye of Terror?

I am leaving that question open to every possible interpretation, seeing how there can be many different answers.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It is a very good question, and one that has been asked across the Warhammer 40k spectrum. Certainly with their deadly ability to evolve to adapt to any enviroment and overcome any enemy they would be all the more deadly. we could even consider they may already have had access to the Warp on their long journey from their distant home galaxy. We could argue that the psychic communication used as their primary form of Command and Unity was developed by Warp contact untold gazillions of millenia ago.

To allow the Nids to adapt to the Warp would be to invite certainy doom for both Chaos and Imperium. The individual organisms would probably all develop psychic latency/abilities that would give them a huge advantage over conventional forces. I think if a thing ever become reality that all the Chaos Gods would squirm in their thrones a bit. Plus with that power they could easily accelerate and further develop their biomass collection system(imagine a psychic shock that could kill an entire planet in one go).

At any rate I think forces would act to prevent sucha catastrohpy from occuring. Evemn the Gods would step in to the fray. For all intent and purposes though it would most certainly make quite the interesting story.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
The other consideration is biomass to consume and replenish the hive fleet. Tyranids would be in a hostile environment, where the laws of physics obey their enemies.

While there are certainly living mortal creatures in the eye, any of the daemons in the fray would be inflicting damage, would be swiftly resurrected, and if the Tyranids tried to eat the daemons they wouldn't get any nourishment.

Sounds like the eye/warp wouldn't be on the tyranids visiting list.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not to mention that there is only Chaos God in particular that could ruin a lot of the Tyranid's plans. That being Nurgle -- his plagues would be nearly impossible to adapt to since the Tyranids do not instantly mutate, but rather do so in waves.

Tzeentch would be another problem since he is the God of Change.

The only hope the Tyranids would have is their Shadow in the Warp where they could possibly weaken the hold of the Warp on parts of the Eye of Terror, allowing "reality" to exert its influence over it just enough for the Tyranid's biomass-driven evolution to be relatively unaffected by the Gods. But then you'd just have the Hive Fleet driving endlessly into the Warp, ever pushing onwards. To the Hive Mind there is probably little point to this idea.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
There have been a couple of throw-away examples in the lore of Tyranid Hive Fleets being infected by Nurgle's Rot or other warp plagues.

Moving into the Eye of Terror wouldn't end well for the Tyranids. Their ability to sustain themselves via biomass would be heavily impeded given that most worlds and inhabitants of the Eye are corrupted (I can't imagine trying to consume a Daemon World ending well).

Aside from that the daemonic legions can freely exist within the Eye so the Tyranids would potentially be up against infinite daemons.

I can't envisage any situation that would benefit the Tyranids from entering the Eye.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Completely unrelated question, but....

Would it be possible for there to be a Genestealer infestation in Commorragh?

·
Registered
364 Posts
They would be beaten, biomass is simply all corrupted and therefore useless as food, the genetics/physics and chemistry makes no sense.

However, you could say (Given how they kill eldar using psychic tyranids) that they could conceivably adapt to even that unadaptable environment and actually turn it to their advantage.

whatever happens, im sure at the very least the imperium would eventually suffer no matter who won.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Would it be possible for there to be a Genestealer infestation in Commorragh?
Oh completely. All living creatures have biomass; regardless of what race, ability, psychic latency, or enviroment they come from.I'm not sure if the Tyranid Hive Mind would be able to navigate the Webway but, if by some sheer chance of luck, they did Commorragh would be destroyed in a matetr of months.

Trapped inside their own world the Nids would easily surround and kill the Dark Eldar. To their advantage the Dark Eldar love close combat, something the Nids excel at, and would eat them piecemeal. It would be a sweet, ironic end to the Dark side of Eldar history.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I'm not sure if the Tyranid Hive Mind would be able to navigate the Webway but, if by some sheer chance of luck, they did Commorragh would be destroyed in a matetr of months.
Unlikely. The Dark City has endured gargantuan daemonic incursions and worse. Vect (seemingly) has the capability to isolate and remove sections of the City as it benefits him. Remember, Commorragh is not a linear City with physical dimensions it is effectively made up of nodes spread throughout the webway linked by gates. A genestealer infestation could be isolated and removed.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Unlikely. The Dark City has endured gargantuan daemonic incursions and worse. Vect (seemingly) has the capability to isolate and remove sections of the City as it benefits him. Remember, Commorragh is not a linear City with physical dimensions it is effectively made up of nodes spread throughout the webway linked by gates. A genestealer infestation could be isolated and removed.
Additionally assuming one ever even took hold. Eldar reproduction takes significantly longer than human, and would likely be detected immediately and removed/exploited by the haemonculi.

As for other races, I doubt the dark eldar would have any qualms about removing these the easy way.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wonder the impact the Hive Mind would have in the Eye, considering the shadow on the warp thing. Would this interfere with the free-reign of daemons within the Warp to renew, or possibly be a strong enough mental presence that the Hive Mind would be effectively a minor Warp God?

The physical side of the struggle is one significant aspect, but the huge mental presence of the Hive Mind would be another dynamic that doesn't sound like has been explored yet.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
There have been a couple of throw-away examples in the lore of Tyranid Hive Fleets being infected by Nurgle's Rot or other warp plagues.

Moving into the Eye of Terror wouldn't end well for the Tyranids. Their ability to sustain themselves via biomass would be heavily impeded given that most worlds and inhabitants of the Eye are corrupted (I can't imagine trying to consume a Daemon World ending well).

Aside from that the daemonic legions can freely exist within the Eye so the Tyranids would potentially be up against infinite daemons.

I can't envisage any situation that would benefit the Tyranids from entering the Eye.
This makes me rethink a lot of things.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Fall_of_Shadowbrink#.U0LZPahX-ub

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
IIRC a Tyranid fleet went through the EoT/a warp storm and came out disoriented and I believe mutated.
Source? This would be really interesting if I could lend it more than apocryphal weight...

As I recall, at the Fall of Medusa V event several years back (when Death Leaper was introduced), the Hive Mind abandoned its vessels in orbit around Medusa V while the warp storm enveloped the system. So we do have at least one instance of a Hive Fleet being trapped in the warp, but no word as to how it fared. Images of daemonically possessed hive ships dance like sugar-plum fairies through my head, certainly, but... no guarantees.

As a whole, though, I thought that hive fleets steer clear of warp storms in general, like they tend to Necron Tomb Worlds too.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Source? This would be really interesting if I could lend it more than apocryphal weight...

As I recall, at the Fall of Medusa V event several years back (when Death Leaper was introduced), the Hive Mind abandoned its vessels in orbit around Medusa V while the warp storm enveloped the system. So we do have at least one instance of a Hive Fleet being trapped in the warp, but no word as to how it fared. Images of daemonically possessed hive ships dance like sugar-plum fairies through my head, certainly, but... no guarantees.

As a whole, though, I thought that hive fleets steer clear of warp storms in general, like they tend to Necron Tomb Worlds too.
I either came across it via the codex or randomly on the lexicanum. I was hoping CoTE would provide a source.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
That is a really stupid story. No personal offense intended, Malus.

The hive "evolved" to defeat Nurgle's diseases? I call bullshit, even if it is in the codex. The whole point of Nurgle's diseases are that they aren't natural. Evolution doesn't help. No "natural" disease causes you to become massively hungry and explode into mounds of nurglings. No "natural" disease kills you and turns you into a warp animated zombie.

And suddenly Khorne doesn't want skulls and blood (ichor) because they're from tyranids? Again bullshit. Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows.

The other difference is that a single world 'out there in the galaxy' isn't the same as a world in the eye of terror. The entire fabric of reality is bathed in the empyrean in the eye of terror. I suspect the effect of the shadow in the warp would be much diminished by the ambient and really available power of chaos.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There's a log in the Chaos codex that literally has a Skull champion hunting nids for a new source of skulls.

In Demon World, they were using captured gaunts as slave miners alongside humans and a variety of other xenos.

Fall of Medusa V results showed that the Hive Mind cut its losses and left the Tyranid fleet adrift, while the Imperium captured the Lictor specimen it arrived to take.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts