Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm a relatively inexperienced player looking for some advice. I've just about finished painting my Tyranid force with just a custom base and some Ymgarl Stealers to finish. However, the two times I've used it, I've been trounced. I know a lot of it has to do with me not having played much, but I would like to get better and would like some specific advice on how to play my list.
My list is:
Tyranid Prime with lashwhip, bonesword and deathspitter
Warrior brood with 6 warriors, barbed strangler, deathspitters and scything talons
Lictor, two Zoanthropes
Broodlord, 11 Genestealers
30 Termagants
24 Spinegaunts
2x20 Hormagants
Trygon Prime with adrenal glands

I played against marines and got slaughtered closing in. I infiltrated my stealers into a bad position. I held the hormagaunts in reserve along with the Trygon, hoping that they'd come on after and be able to emerge in the back field. Naturally the Trygon was the last on. By the time I closed in I had too few units to take anything down and couldn't seem to wound anything to save my life.
I played Orks and did a little better, but still couldn't seem to wound anything. I ran the warriors behind a group of hormies with the spines on one flank and the other gaunts on the other flank. The trygon, lictor and stealers were in reserve. Was able to do some damage, but I still couldn't seem to wound anything, my stealers were massacred by Lootas and the Trygon failed it's 2+ reserve roll. I would like to make a better showing next game without changing the list too much.
I want to change the spine gaunts to fleshborers if I can find the time. The lictor will probably go and I don't think I'll be reserving the Trygon again. What other changes (minimal, please, until I have more money) and tactics should I try?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
First up, if you see someone post something in the wrong area, REPORT IT TO THE MODS. Don't just come into the thread telling them they put it in the wrong spot, after they've posted there's nothing they can do about it. Just hit report, and the staff will take care of it.

First off, Reserves. Holding back the Trygon and Hormagaunts just will really put a dampener on your damage output. One table, they can move about and attack when and where they are needed. In reserves, they just sit and twiddle their thumbs. Never try to use the Trygon hole, it's way too unreliable. Just use him as a hammer and smash some elite-killy unit he has.

The Lictor should either go, or get run as Deathleaper for a while. He offers so much more than the standard Lictor. Just make sure you keep him safe. Last turn appearing on Objectives anyone?

Use your Gants as screens. They give everything cover, and might even soak up a few wounds. Plus, they keep stuff out of assault with the rest of your force until you choose to attack.

Remember you can outflank with your Genestealers. They will be able to put pressure on your opponents flanks. He can still move across the board behind your Gant screen, but with a ton of Hormaguants, it's not as needed. They do all have Toxin Sacs right? >_>

Hormagaunts might like Toxin Sacs too, just drop a few (2-4?) guys from each. It will make them more maneuverable as well.

The Zoanthropes can benifeit from a Spore Pod, it helps them get intpo the thick of it really easy. That being said, they can still work on foot, regardless of what others say :p

The only other additions to your list would be some Hive Guard (2-3) to pop transports, letting your guys chew on the stuff inside. Also, considering the mass of Termagants you have, a Tervigon. Drop the 24 Spine Gants to let him in as a troop choice and have fun. Toxin Sacs +Adrenal Glands on your Gants will make them incredibly dangerous, and Catalyst is a great support power. He's also a T6 W6 Scoring unit ;)

That's a few really quick tips from me, ask if you have any more spefici questions and I'll be glad to help out :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops! Sorry for posting in the wrong section. I was scrolling up, saw "tactics" and didn't realize it was the wrong section. I shouldn't post when tired. I think I'm now sold on Toxin Sacs on the Hormies to help them get some wounds. Trying to pull of Subterranian Assault with the Trygon just doesn't seem reliable, so he'll be starting on the table from now on. I guess I just wanted some Starship Troopers bug holes on the table.
Hive Guard sound good, so I'll have to buy a couple, but I'll wait to see if they put out a Tervigon model before adding one; I don't want to convert something and have it look completely wrong.
Once again, appologies for posting in the wrong section.

·
Registered
201 Posts
long live the deathleaper ... he is a game winner...

deathleaper gives your reserves +1

so and give hormiguand spore pods..

infiltrate genestealers...

and make sure you get second turn ... that way you probably can steal 1 objective with the deathleaper

hope it helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts