Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am orathis. I posted on the welcome thread. Anyway, I joined mainly because me and my friend are going to be playing each other tomorrow at our local GW, and I need help. He is playing necrons, and I am a tyranid player. I want to ask how to use my 'nids effectively in order to get the upper hand. The game is 1000 points, most probably annihilation or seize ground. Maybe both if we have time, so I would like two army's and tactics based on what I have and what he has that I know he will defiantly have. So, lets get on with it then.

My army (any upgrades and/or different weapons are aloud.):

30 termagants
8 hormagaunts
28 genestealers
3 warriors
1 hive tyrant (I may not be allowed to use it as it's in ba shape)
1 carnifex (I'm open to any way of using it dakkafex or any other combination.)
2 zoanthropes
2 lictors (again may not be able to use as currently unassembled.)
3 rippers ( if I can find them)
1 mycettic spore ( home made, bad quality)
1 biovore

My friends army ( that he is practically guaranteed to take)
Necron lord with destroyer body + resi orb
A number of warriors.
Possibly a tomb spyder
A number of scarabs.

Please note he may take extra things, but will 99% take these

Any and all help will be very much apricated, thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to do this but (bump)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Probably your best bet would be to try to close as quickly as possible, swamp him in close combat and force his squads to fall back, thus removing their RP counters.
To that end, I'd go 'stealer heavy, infiltrate them or outflank them to get close and charge in as soon as you can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for te advice. I already played him though. I lost due tue a lucky shot, but we're rematching soon.

My army choice went termagant heavy, using some borrowed models. Ended up with about 36. Swarmlord + 5 warriors & prime + broodlord & 10 genestealers + doom of malan'ti. It was a close game. Next time I'll go more stealer heavy, as my broodlord + genestealers went in turn one.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Swarmlord at 1000pts? You're a braver man than me.

I'd take one unit of 10 Termagants, use the Carnifex as a Tervigon, both Zoanthropes, and then fill the rest of the army with Genestealers which should outflank (Always reserve Genestealers).

Just my quick tuppence.

Midnight

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah he went 3 squads of warriors and a lord w/ destroyer body+resiorb, and a lord w/ resi orb, and a wraith.

Basically my broodlord and genestealers got killed in te first turn, but his wraith went down in the first combat. (tried to take on warriors. Wounded one to 2 wounds.) swarmlord battled destroyer lord and killed it ( was helped by gaunt squad.) then killed a whole squad of warriors before being shot down by his all his remaining units, 16 unit gaunt squad died about turn 4 or five in combat with 2 squads of necron warriors and a lord, backed up by the warrior squad. The doom of malan'ti took afew out but was killed. In the ends I surrendered with a remaining instinctive gaunts (4). It was a solid strategy, but was foiled by the lucky shooting, be because the swarmlord would have killed the other squad if it got into combat, which would have been next turn. Anyway it was an enjoyable and close game.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
swarmlord battled destroyer lord and killed it ( was helped by gaunt squad.) then killed a whole squad of warriors before being shot down by his all his remaining units, 16 unit gaunt squad died about turn 4 or five in combat with 2 squads of necron warriors and a lord, backed up by the warrior squad. The doom of malan'ti took afew out but was killed. In the ends I surrendered with a remaining instinctive gaunts (4). It was a solid strategy, but was foiled by the lucky shooting, be because the swarmlord would have killed the other squad if it got into combat, which would have been next turn. Anyway it was an enjoyable and close game.
Did the Swarmlord really need help killing a Destroyer Lord? He makes his opponent WS 1 for the majority of the time, and with Str 6 and ID'ing weapons he usually minces anything he touches. Saying this, I would, more often than not, use Paroxysm to disable a Warrior Squad for a turn.

You probably should have swamped him more, leaving him less time to shoot - bury his Warriors under a tide of Gaunts, hence my suggestion of a Tervigon. 30 Gaunts? Annoying, potentially dangerous. 30 Gaunts with FC and Poison 4+ (And re-rolling Hits with Swarmlord)? Lethal.

Midnight

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Apart from the fact that the Destroyer Lord is too tough to be IDed by the SwarmLord.

I would generally try to lock Necrons in CC asap. They are not helpless in CC, but they are worse at it than shooting so that is your best chance.

Outflanking Genestealers is solid, depending on the enemy's choices regarding terrain manipulation.

A Hive Commander that lets you outflank the Warrior unit might also be useful instead of the SwarmLord.

If you go shooty then volume of fire will trump high-S shots vs Necrons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks for the advice

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
I would give my advice but much of it was said already by others. One thing to consider and i know many don't worry about it that much is if you have trouble with outflanking and getting into cc (granted most times it doesn't happen) you can take a look at a venomthrope. They aren't that great but the cover save can provide mobile cover to your units from the heavy fire armies like the necrons.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've only played 2 games against the new necron but it seems to me like the easiest way to deal with them is zoan's/Hive Guard for the vehicles and a crapton of devilgaunts for his troops. The necron I fought against soundly stomped me when I tried using genestealers, warriors, hormagaunts or termagaunts. His troops were always safely ensconed in some kinda cover so assaulting caused me to go at init 1, to where he smacked the crap out of my little crappy gaunts with everything.

·
Registered
211 Posts
acid blood and toxic miasma (sp?) i've lost 5-8 warriors to those two things alone in a single combat... rolling against a necrons initiative is so cheap it actual makes me cry a little inside.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Igni, you've made my day, I plan on rematching the Necron again and giving him the bugs with your idea. Muahaha.

Though, my biggest problem against Necron is getting across the field with the units that can destroy him. Deepstriking isn't something Tyranids are especially good at... sure we have infiltration and a few other things but its mainly the assaulting into cover that always kills me against them.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Igni, you've made my day, I plan on rematching the Necron again and giving him the bugs with your idea. Muahaha.

Though, my biggest problem against Necron is getting across the field with the units that can destroy him. Deepstriking isn't something Tyranids are especially good at... sure we have infiltration and a few other things but its mainly the assaulting into cover that always kills me against them.
Winged Warriors can DS, as can anything with a snotpod option. I like to DS Warriors usually, cutting off any retreating enemies.

·
Registered
458 Posts
and then fill the rest of the army with Genestealers which should outflank (Always reserve Genestealers)
Slightly off topic, but I would very rarely outflank genestealers. Infiltration is almost always better.

In this particular case a large squad of FNP/cover infiltrating stealers is panic inducing for the necrons (my current necron list includes a Triarch Stalker to hold units like this up).

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Stalker won't hold them up much. Stealers are a potent CC unit, but nothing special as far as Necrons are concerned. If you are I2 it doesn't really matter if your opponent is 2 or 4 points better than you.
Wraiths are possibly the best counter-CC unit the Necrons have, C'tan and Lychguard possibly the second and third but I have not decided in which order.

Quantity over quality is what is needed for the Tyranids to beat Necrons.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Stalker won't hold them up much.
Worst case scenario:

20 stealers on the charge-

60 x 2/3 x 1/6 x 1/3 = 2.2 glancing hits or ~ 1/3 destroyed stalkers, aka probably surviving the worst case scenario.

But if you let 20 stealers charge, you are an idiot so thin them out a bit before the combat to improve your odds (which are fairly good even in the worst case).

Stealers are a potent CC unit, but nothing special as far as Necrons are concerned. If you are I2 it doesn't really matter if your opponent is 2 or 4 points better than you.
I'm not really sure what this means- a large stealer squad will butcher any infantry in the cron army. Cover and FNP seriously diminishes return casualties and they can infiltrate for a turn two charge. This isn't true of gants or the like.

Wraiths are possibly the best counter-CC unit the Necrons have, C'tan and Lychguard possibly the second and third but I have not decided in which order.
All of which will fold like chocolate against stealers, except possibly for wraiths if you can tie up most of the squad with the walker.

Quantity over quality is what is needed for the Tyranids to beat Necrons.
A meaningless platitude. Woop.

A bit less posting of mantra and a bit more thought (and experience?) is required methinks, especially since large stealer squads are something I expect to see in competative nid armies. They were definately in mine, and the thing they hated most were av13 walkers.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My point was that Stealers are not especially better than any other CC unit in the Tyranid codex vs Necrons. Tyranid Warriors with rending and Scything Talons are probably better than Stealers at killing Necrons. Toxin Hormagaunts are probably better than Stealers.

And please 'woop' your own bunkum. I play Necrons and Tyranids, which is perhaps more than you can say.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts