·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... here are the new Vanguard formations:

1. Lictor Forest Brood
Formation - 1 Lictor Forest Brood consisting of 5 Lictors
Special Rule
Deadly Fruit: Shrouded instead of Stealth special rule and models can deploy within a Forest using the Infiltrate special rule and can be set up within 6" of an enemy model.

2. Manufactorum Genestealers
Formation - 5 Genestealer Broods
Formation Restriction - Manufactorum Genestealer Broods may not include additional Genestealers.
Special Rule
Hit & Run
Unsuspected: Models can deploy within a building or Ruins using the Infiltrate special rule and can be set up within 6" of an enemy model.

3. Deathleaper's Assassin Brood
Formation - Deathleaper & 5 Lictor Broods
Special Rule
Preferred Enemy (Character & Independent Character)
Paranoia & Ill Discipline: Enemy unit within 12" suffers -1 Leadership penalty.

4. Broodlord's Hunting Pack
Formation - 3 Genestealer Broods: One Genestealer Brood must include Broodlord. Only one Broodlord allowed in formation.
Special Rule
Hidden Beneath the City: Units arriving from Reserve can set up in unoccupied Building or set up in Ruins terrain as long as they are more than 6" away from enemy models.
Hunting Pack: Preferred Enemy special rule on a selected enemy unit by entire Formation when Broodlord is deployed.

5. Gargoyle Bio-Bombs
Formation - 3 Spore Mine Clusters and 3 Gargoyle Broods
Formation Restrictions - None
Special Rule
Wings of Death: If spore mine cluster starts a move (including Run & Charge) within 6" of Gargoyle unit, movement is 6" and does not halve the distance rolled for Run and Charge.

---
Unfortunately no sign of the Ymgarl Genestealers but the Broodlord's Hunting Pack has a cut-down version of the Dormant special rule.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
In the Eldar Ghost Warriors Dataslate it has this to say.

"When you choose an army, you can take a Formation as a special form of Detachment. Unless otherwise stated, you can take any number of Formations in your army, and each is considered to be a completely separate Detachment, regardless of how many units make it up."

So, I'd say HQ + 2 Troops, then any amount of Formations you have the Points for.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Well, the Gargoyle Bio-Bomb one is really nice, but I can't see why anyone would want that many Lictors and Genestealers that have a couple of weird extra rules.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I can see geanstealers that can setup within 6" of the enemy. Talk about insta-charge!
MSU Genestealers in 6" range are dead Genestealers, as they can't charge on the first player turn and nobody in their right mind is going to let them live. 25 Genestealers isn't that hard to neutralise.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
What does MSU stand for?
Many/Multiple Small Units. The Manufactorum Genestealers has to be 25 Genestealers in 5 squads of 5, making them practically scream 'I'M A KILL POINT! COME HERE, I'M FIRST BLOOD!', as well as being... well, simply not that great, even by Genestealer standards.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
MSU Genestealers in 6" range are dead Genestealers, as they can't charge on the first player turn and nobody in their right mind is going to let them live. 25 Genestealers isn't that hard to neutralise.
Why can't they charge on the first turn? (I don't run infiltrators as a general rule). I thought you couldn't charge from reserves...

And 5 units of 5 isn't as easy to completely wipe out as you think. Also, whilst you're doing that the rest of the army has gotten into charge range... :grin:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Infiltrators and Scouts can't charge on the first PLAYER Turn (Rulebook USRs respectively).
They can Charge in the First Turn if they go second.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
And 5 units of 5 isn't as easy to completely wipe out as you think. Also, whilst you're doing that the rest of the army has gotten into charge range... :grin:
25 Orks in Rapid Fire range of your entire army is easy as hell to kill. And the 'rest of the army' is going to be substantially less than it would have been, because 25 Genestealers isn't cheap, especially for a non-Scoring distraction.

I wouldn't mind so much if Genestealers didn't rely on numbers, but since they do it's hard to make an argument for bringing a bunch of small squads in my opinion. 5 Genestealers charging isn't actually going to deal all that much damage to even a Devastator Squad or something.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
25 Orks is a different story to 25 Stealers. If you are talking marines, then yes there's no difference. If you are facing something like Guard with lasguns, then the odds change a lot.

But that sort of thing is all subjective. I prefer Hormogaunts anyway :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I like the lictor forest brood. It has the potential to be devastating and hilarious.

Everything else... could be better really.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For the purposes of wounds coming in, Genestealers are as tough as Orks is the point he was trying to make; slightly tougher thanks to the 5+; but against Tau, Marines, Eldar, Necrons, etc, who all have AP base weapons, they not only get 1 turn of shooting but an overwatch.

Throw on flamers, and you've just thrown away what, 400 points?
400 and something, yes.

I'd rather spend that amount of points to throw in an inquisitorial detachment for a DCA deathstar on a land raider: I'd spend pretty much the same (likely more) for a scouting land raider and be assured that its occupants will mince anything they come in contact with. Granted, they'll be dead the moment after they do it and will do absolutely nothing if the land raider gets blown up, so it's a complete, utter and inexcusable waste of a huge chunk of points, but at least it does something and kind of feels like an actual threat.

But 5 squads of 5 genestealers? It wouldn't stand a chance against my extremely subpar sisters, an actual army will just laugh, say "gg" and start putting away their models, counting the game as a turn 1 table wipe.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The gargoyle bio-bomb thing is what I'm looking at, as it gives me extra fast attack for something I'd like to play with, but didn't have enough slots for, now I do.

If the Manufactorium brood wasn't stopped from charging turn one it'd be totally worth it. Otherwise? Flamers for the total wipeout!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts