Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT 20-10-10: I decided to turn this thread into a project log for my nids. The last addition is a tervigon, on page 2. I'll edit the first page every time I add something new. Hope you enjoy

hey all,

I painted a hormagaunt today to test the colour scheme I'm gonna do on these tyranids. Opinions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's dheneb stone with devlan mud for the skin, and regal blue then ice blue, then badab black, then skull white on the scales.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
The scheme is really nice. The carapace colour looks like weathered metalics, and really suits the fleash colouring.

I agree with Khornes fist that a different base would offset this colour scheme better.

·
Registered
836 Posts
simple and effective - I like it. It'd be very easy to add more highlights and other stuff to it in order to give characters that extra bit of zazz. +rep.

·
Registered
548 Posts
like the colour scheme a lot :biggrin: but again, ditto on the base. only other thing i would do differently would be to paint the eyes a rich green rather than orange. i think that would provide a better point of contrast...

looking forward to seeing some more painted up!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I like it. How do you plan to paint the extras (like the banding of the bigger guns)? I don't know but you could look at turquoises and pinks - not too bright though. As for a base I think a dark blue sort of swampish could look good. Wouldn't take away from the model but would also tie in with the carapace. Mind you they could also look awful!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@piemaster: the somewhat poor lighting in the pictures doesn't show it, but I painted the little rips all over his body in a bright pink. I plan on painting the weapon feeders and other 'fleshy' bits in that colour.

thanks for the suggestion on the base, too. I'll see what I can cook up.

I've been working on a Tervigon conversion and some Hive Guard conversion too. I'll put up pictures of them when they're ready to paint

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like it! the muted tones work well, as en-mass the nids would like one big brown wave of living ness..... or something like that. I will be on board with changing the base..... a smidgen, if for no other reason than to create more definition between model and base.
It's simple enough to paint a whole lot of nids, and complicated enough so it looks great! good job +rep

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, the first finished model in my Nid fleet, a Tervigon. Colours used were Dheneb Stone, Devlan Mud, then Dheneb Stone highlight on the exoskeleton, Dheneb Stone, Baal Red, Blood Red / Skull White 1:1, then a final wash of Baal Red on the eggs, Regal Blue, Ice Blue, Badab Black, Skull White on the Caparace.

I'm quite satisfied with how he turned out. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
This is great; I'm trying to pull off a similar thing, as an idea for my own 'Nids, when I get them, come Christmas (When I can finally get a job to pay for these fucking 'Nids :laugh:)

Oly difference is; I'm gonna replace Red, where you did blue.
Any ideas?

+Rep for nice painting :3

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the way I did the eggs was I made 2 large half-balls (heh) and placed them on either side of the spine. The spine is elongated so he looks forward instead of being bent down and to give space for the eggs. one of these 2 large balls is the one where the gant head is coming out. After that, I placed smaller balls of greenstuff and covered them with a thin sheet of more greenstuff which I stretched over the eggs.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not sure how else to explain it =X

and thanks for the rep =)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so, I've been dissapeared for a while, but now that the semester is over I've had time to start working on these again. I have some hive guard converted from warriors which are almost done painting and I'll put up soon - for now though, my Tyrannofex. I just finished him today, tomorrow he'll get sprayed and in a couple of days hopefully I'll have pics of him painted up.

Enjoy!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Like your stuff! Great conversions on the Tervigon and T-Fex. I like the color scheme especially the carapace color and pattern. The only thing that I would suggest is that you add a another couple of highlights or another color to the claws just to make them standout a bit, similar to what you did on the horma. NIce work

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, I've started painting the Tyrannofex, so I'll hopefully have pictures of him in a few days. For now though, here's the newest addition - A Hive Tyrant

comments welcome!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts