Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since King Gary mentioned Tyranid hunting Dark Eldar in my thread about why alien races ain't as popular as marines, it got me thinking. How would this work? the idea appeals to me, I mean the Dark Eldar could have parts of Tyranid parts on them or even have their entire armour made out of tyranid carapace maybe?

How do you think the force could be transferred on to the table? Would it just be a generic dark eldar force but with a lot of Tyranid trophies etc, or maybe the army would be more focused, such as a wych cult that finds great pleasure in facing them? Maybe a Carnifex with loads of dark eldar implants and injections etc could be a talos?

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Given all the poisoned weapons, even standard warriors could hurt big things and have trophies.

For a themed army you don't need to cripple yourself against other foes, so build an army that would still work against other forces. Just lean towards more flavourful weaponry - multishot rather than lances, many attacks rather than high strength. Remember that poison would do the work of strength, you'd just need speed and the ability to hit a *lot*.

Enslaving things would be awkward, but not impossible. Anything big would need lots of brain implants and controlling gubbins, rather than drugs...

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
to be fair, in the DEldar fluff, they would generally avoid 3 kinds of armies. Necrons, as they dont have a soul, Nids, as they dont have a soul, and chaos as their souls are already spoken for.
Bit it's not all about souls. I can see Tyranids going down well in the arenas. Marines are Marines as far as the pits go. I can even see them taking some fun in in fight Necrons, soulless machines designed purely to kill, I can see a few seeing that simply as a challenge.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think this it's a great idea!

I'd love to see this army executed as dark Eldar with a Predator influence. They aren't hulking but they are brutal.

I'd still love to see the asymmetric armor, mesh, shoulder mounted guns, wrist claws, spears, bladed discs, etc.

And of course, skulls and trophies galore!

It would be epic. =)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bit it's not all about souls. I can see Tyranids going down well in the arenas. Marines are Marines as far as the pits go. I can even see them taking some fun in in fight Necrons, soulless machines designed purely to kill, I can see a few seeing that simply as a challenge.

Yeah that's what I thinking about, that the Dark Eldar would use them as sport, like putting beasts into their gladiatorial pits, which is why I thought maybe it could have a high amount of wyches in the force to emphasise that the army is one who likes to "kidnap" the tyranids to take them back for entertainment.

I think this it's a great idea!

I'd love to see this sent executed as dark Eldar with a Predator influence. They aren't hulking but they are brutal.

I'd still love to see the asymmetric armor, mesh, shoulder mounted guns, wrist claws, spears, bladed discs, etc.

And of course, skulls and trophies galore!

It would be epic. =)
:D Figured Mandrakes may make good Predators.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Would they have trophies on them though? In predator he takes trophies, but they aren't cluttered around his armour. The DE seem like they'd be more efficient than the bloodthirsty orks or the ritualistic space marines with their war trophies.

Maybe you could present the hunt & capture thing another way, like caged nids or gaunts on leashes as bait.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Would they have trophies on them though? In predator he takes trophies, but they aren't cluttered around his armour. The DE seem like they'd be more efficient than the bloodthirsty orks or the ritualistic space marines with their war trophies.

Maybe you could present the hunt & capture thing another way, like caged nids or gaunts on leashes as bait.
Yeah I'm still thinking through ways of how I could present it. Apart from the obvious trophies, I was thinking maybe the armour they wear could be painted to look like Tyranid carapace or maybe altered a bit to, like scourges with Tyranid helmets. I do like that idea about caged nids though, they'd be cool on ravagers or hanging off the back of Hellion boards or bikes etc.

·
Registered
602 Posts
make caged nids your objective markers, if your gunna go this route, as its truly the only thing that makes sense.

while not "everything" is about souls, the DE particularly live in order to satiate their never ending desires and empathic emotions that continue to be driven further into their extremes. Desire and Agony, Lust and fear.

killing nids has little value for the Dark Eldar, Capturing them alive holds some value, haemonculi could want to experiment on their bodies to adapt some parts into their wrack servants, or they could be used in the arenas but I dont think the dark eldar would ever have trophies of anything nids unless it was won in the arena and it was a BIG nid.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well they could use the Tyranid trophies to scare other races, I mean Tyranids are scary enough but then you're faced with Dark Eldar who've obviously slaughtered a lot of them, that would make them more terrifying I guess.

·
Registered
602 Posts
they might, but on the battlefield, with the dark eldars styles leaning towards more of a "get in, get what we want and get out" mentality, they would not get as much effect from a tyranid skull, the dark eldar are just as much of a fearful threat to the other races as the nids are. "oh you killed some tyranids? thanks for weeding out the herd of biogenetic locusts that are coming to annihilate us even if your coming to annihilate us instead" in fact, I feel the dark eldar would be scarier to some due to that the stories of Dark Eldar raids usually end similar to a viking raid, If your not killed, your going to be put through pain and fear, the likes of which you have never known before, and THEN they are going to kill you when they are finally done with you.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Well they could use the Tyranid trophies to scare other races, I mean Tyranids are scary enough but then you're faced with Dark Eldar who've obviously slaughtered a lot of them, that would make them more terrifying I guess.
I like this idea - using nid parts to cause terror makes some sense and could make for some nice conversions.

It's slightly amusing how this thread is proving the point of the topic where the idea originated - if you wanted a space marine army that hunts Tyranids we'd be done already and down the pub :wink:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't really know too much about the Dark Eldar's fluff, so hard to comment in any great detail on units, but I'm definately drawn to the idea of the helmets. Plus there's plenty of potential combining the more bestial elements of the DE range (Clawed Fiends, Khymerae, Talos even the Grotesque) with the tyranid range. They could be captured tyranids that a haemonculus has had success with.

It's slightly amusing how this thread is proving the point of the topic where the idea originated - if you wanted a space marine army that hunts Tyranids we'd be done already and down the pub :wink:
:goodpost: And arguably a lot more fun as a discussion? :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
:goodpost: And arguably a lot more fun as a discussion? :)
Absolutely! Plus it'll be a much more interesting Army when it's done, but so much more effort needs to go in to get it spot on :)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'll be going to my local store on Sunday to speak to the manager to put the idea past him, I represented my stores entry for army on parade this year but it was last moment, so this time I'm going to put a lot more effort into it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts