Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I finally started painting my biotitan. My local gw manager was kind enough to let me leave it at the store while I do to avoid nasty transport related damage, so I've been getting there the last couple weekends to work on it.

It is a hell of a job. I'm used to being able to sit and paint a monster in a day or two. This has far too much detail to paint in the same fashion, and that's even with leaving a few parts off the model...


Basecoating was easy, as it usually is. Blue for the carapace, grey for the skin. But before any of that I painted the base, because the way I do that is always messy and splashy. Afterwards, I picked out all of the bony ridges, claws and spikes with brown before a quick drybrush of rakarth flesh for a bony look. The carapace then got a second coat, this time sotek green on the upper edge gradually drybrushed to reach about halfway down each plate. The skin also received a heavier drybrush of a lighter grey, I forget what it was called. :scratchhead:







Once this was done, the ENTIRE model was given a shade of nuln oil. A job so big it had to be done in stages, the limbs, then the underside, then the carapace. While that was drying I started adding some grass tufts to the base. When the shade was completely dry (nearly an hour later because of the lackluster air conditioning the shopping centre has) I began to pick out some of the exposed flesh and musculature. Initially I was going to go with green, but it didn't provide any contrast and I soon realized that this model would definitely need contrast. So instead I decided to go with a red.

It seemed odd at first, but I stuck with it and have to admit it has grown on me.





There is still a lot to be done. The edge highlighting and spikes all over the carapace is going to be a nightmare, and there is still a lot of musculature hidden on the underside of the model as well as on the spore chimneys that needs to be picked out.

Overall I have enjoyed working on this. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More work done today. All the fiddly crap pain in the ass stuff. :laugh:

Such as the spores on his carapace being painted to match the ones in his chimney vents.



Some re-highlighting of the serrated edge of his mandibles and the spikes all over his body. Hard to see, but it looks good, trust me. :wink:



Some of the fleshy detail underneath.



"Doctor, there's this pain in the back of my throat, can you take a look?"



And finally, started the edge of the carapace plates.




All in all I'd like to think I'm on the home stretch now. The edge highlighting of each carapace plate is gonna be a pain, but that's the part that's really gonna bring this model home.

Feedback welcome, I'll post more pics when I can make them happen. :cool:
 

·
Pony Marine Master
Joined
·
284 Posts
Looking great Serpion. I am debating changing the blades on my army to a black or something to give it contrast to the armor plates. (atm they are the same color)

I just recently finished my Tyranocyte aside its base. I will post it soon to let it be picked apart for being so bad. XD

As always your stuff is really great looking!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top