Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Tyranid player, I love my big bad bugs (specifically, the big ones), and with the unbound list option, I now feel like I could do a strictly nid-zilla list.

However, If I am to follow Bound lists, I find my options limited due to spots available. Which begs me to question, how do I best utilize my heavy support slots?

Options are:

Carnifex - Best taken in a Brood, and pretty much the only reliable way to take out armor AV13+... which is heavy in my meta (So this is pretty much a must)

Biovore - Best use is to take out hordes or blobs, but this isn't so big in my meta (So these guys are out)

Trygon (Prime) - I personally like to take these guys as a Prime, and plop them up behind enemy lines to provide upfield synapse, and to take target priority away from my units charging across the battle field. Yet, when I look at other lists, I barely, if ever, see other people take them.

Mawloc - I match this up with the Biovore, better used against hordes or blobs to make use of their special rule, however, there isn't much of that in my meta, so it feels like a waste.

Tyrannofex - I personally have never used one of these guys before, so I can't comment too much. The torrent is the better weapon, but I don't see it being that effective for the points.

Exocrine - Again, another model I have never used before, but based on weapon profile alone, I rank this higher than the Tryannofex (mostly MEQ in my meta) and the AP2 seems better.

My question out to those of you out there who play Nids or regularly play against Nids... What combination of MC's (heavy's) do you typically see, and how would you rank them with the new 7th edition rule set?

Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
You don't have to go unbound to get extra heavies, just run two detachments. Six should be more than enough for a standard game up to 2000 points

Nids have a lot to choose from. Biovores are top tier and I think mawlocs, T-fexes, dakkafexes and exocrines are all very good. I'm not sure where I'd fit the trygon and trygon prime at the moment but now everything scores the tervigon loses even more ground and perhaps there could be value to trygon primes as ground based synapse.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Old One Eye, 10 guants, 10 more guants, Nine Carnifexes - allied with Hive Tyrant, Xoanthrope, Xoanthrope, Xoanthrope, 10 guants, ten more guants, Trygon Prime, Exocrine, Exocrine.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Exocrines are fantastic, but I think you're underestimating biovores usefulness.

My list runs two detachments. I have two exocrines and three individual biovores. The ability to split them up in a list now works wonders, I can force multiple pinning checks and potentially drop more spore mines in the enemy midst, forcing some reaction against foes with a lacklustre overwatch.

I have also found the tyrannofex to be surprisingly good, but I no longer run it due to everything it is able to do being handled better by someone else.

I rank the trygon and carnifex in together, both have their uses but I don't consider either essential to my play style or meta.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts