Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the nid Codex today just for something new to read. I can say that i really enjoy reading about them. Do you guys know of good nid storys? Novel or short storys that are filled with Tyranids? The Death of Tyran, from the codex is a good read , i enjoyed that alot! I have found a few Novels on the Black Library site but i would like to see what you guys can come up with as well. Thanks a head of time!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The second book in the Ultramarines series is full of nids I think its called "Defenders of Ultramar"

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Defenders of Ultramar... UM omnibus.
Let the Galaxy Burn!... has a couple.

Ciaphas Cain. the first book, and the fifth. Both have tyranids. (Especially the fifth)

That`s all I have right now...

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
In Horus Rising it details a campaign against the 'Megarachnid' Who are very very similiar to Tyranids and some would argue actually are Tyranids

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Tyranids also make a small appearance in Ravenor Rogue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There are nid like creatures in Salamander, Black Tide has some, Dawn of War 2, The original Space Marine has the Imperium's first contact with them, buts not 100% canon anymore, Desert Raiders (I think thats what its called) has Imp Guard vs. nids, the Last Chancers omnibus, specifically the first this of the trilogy, Dark Disciple, the second Word Bearer novel,. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for all the posts!! i made me a nice little list now.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I thought the fluff from the last nid codex was far more impressive than the current one. Mainly because not every fight was nids assault with massive numbers and are only driven back after many casualties suffered by the defenders. It also created the image of a galaxy under siege and that it was only a matter of time till all life was snuffed out.

On a personal note did you not think the hive fleet (the one that fought tau-dunno name) becoming IMMUNE to all tau weaponry, but not kroot weaponry, then becoming invisible was not only ridiculous but begs the question why the hive fleets in combat with the imperium did not develop since they could have swallowed the emperor already by now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
On a personal note did you not think the hive fleet (the one that fought tau-dunno name) becoming IMMUNE to all tau weaponry, but not kroot weaponry, then becoming invisible was not only ridiculous but begs the question why the hive fleets in combat with the imperium did not develop since they could have swallowed the emperor already by now.
The Race to adapt-Hive Fleet Gorgon^, its 7am here (up for class at 8am) I read that part twice just to see if i missed out on something. Out of all the things the nids where having hard time with where undergrowth of the forest world Sha'draig,and then the kroot weapsons and traps. I would like to see a Horm trap myself lol. yes to me that was a little odd that the Kroot with traps and common field arms held back the nids, while on the other hand the Tau had to come up with better weapons and ammo ever battle or so just to keep up with Gorgon's adapting.

This codex did make the Nids sounds like the end all to every race, i would think with a race like this moving around so much it would become more of prod. Thats kind of way i liked it to be true, i enjoyed the "nids, end all life" fill the codex gave them lol. I wish the nids would have more of a background, where did they come from before thay attacked Tyran? but then that would not make them so different i guess.I think im going to have to find the last codex and read it as well.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hive Gorgon was a fleet of particularly adaptive Tyranids. It cost them heavily to continue changing. They couldn't produce a lot of their larger forms.

Also the Imperium of Man uses a variety of weapons. Laser weaponry, purely kinetic weapons, explosives, flamers, ect. It's much more difficult to adapt to everything.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
It adapted so ALL tau manufactured weapons were ineffective against it. That means that neutron blasters, pulse weapons, rail weapons, ion cannons, plasma rifles, all types of missiles, burst cannons, fusion blasters, flamers. That is a lot of variety so saying the imperium has too many weapons for it to work on is not valid as an argument.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hive Gorgon was a fleet of particularly adaptive Tyranids. It cost them heavily to continue changing. They couldn't produce a lot of their larger forms.

Also the Imperium of Man uses a variety of weapons. Laser weaponry, purely kinetic weapons, explosives, flamers, ect. It's much more difficult to adapt to everything.
in the battle for macragge, the hive mind had already seen and learnt much of the tactics employed by the Master of Macraffe. The hive mind set the Swarmlord out(the hive tyrant later classified in imperial records as the swarmlord."). It was the swarmlord that lead the final attack against macragge.some where in the fluff its stated that the horms and other smaller nids had changed, they had a layer of slim on them to protect from flamers, and thicker amour plates.
You are right about the nids having a diffecult time adapting at times and it seems to me that the hive mind will make changes as it sees fit. I would think that Hive Fleet Gorgan tought the Hive mind alot. So its not that the nids cant adapt, its what the hive mind thinks it should adapt and the hive mind will keep note of the fail of Gorgan and spend its Biomass more wise. This i can see making the nids seem like they are having a hard time adapting in a long and hard war, where the hive mind is losing nids at a high rate and has to spend biomass on more nids rather then adapting faster.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It adapted so ALL tau manufactured weapons were ineffective against it. That means that neutron blasters, pulse weapons, rail weapons, ion cannons, plasma rifles, all types of missiles, burst cannons, fusion blasters, flamers. That is a lot of variety so saying the imperium has too many weapons for it to work on is not valid as an argument.
It adapted strictly to the Tau pulse-rifles. One line in the Tyranid codex is a bit ambiguous, but several other specifically note resistance to pulse rifle fire.

I've never had a Tau army, so I don't know specifically how much pulse rifle fire makes up an army, but I assume a fair amount.

Anywho, it begs the question why the Tyranids don't adapt to las weaponry? Probably more trouble than it's worth, I think. Better to spawn X more gaunts than spend the energy to reengineer them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It adapted strictly to the Tau pulse-rifles. One line in the Tyranid codex is a bit ambiguous, but several other specifically note resistance to pulse rifle fire.

I've never had a Tau army, so I don't know specifically how much pulse rifle fire makes up an army, but I assume a fair amount.

Anywho, it begs the question why the Tyranids don't adapt to las weaponry? Probably more trouble than it's worth, I think. Better to spawn X more gaunts than spend the energy to reengineer them.
i do not think the nids would even care for las, they have the zoanthropes with psyhic powers: warp blast, blast, warp lance.

Plus if the nids did ever come up with a type of bio las weapon, it would not do much to toops that have armour for such an attack IMO.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
No, no. You misunderstand. Why don't the Tyranids change their carapaces to resist las fire when fighting the IoM. Since that makes up a great amount of Imperial weaponry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, no. You misunderstand. Why don't the Tyranids change their carapaces to resist las fire when fighting the IoM. Since that makes up a great amount of Imperial weaponry.
oh i did im sorry! I do not know why they would not...i bet GW would sell us something that would have this info in it lol

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That would however include lascannons and can you see the outrage on peoples faces when they find out that carnifexes and trygons can no longer be taken down by lascannon fire.

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Because tyranids are already resistant to lasfire, as evidenced by the fact all tyranids get an armor save against the lasgun.

: D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Because tyranids are already resistant to lasfire, as evidenced by the fact all tyranids get an armor save against the lasgun.

: D
i learn something new each day here:victory:

Out of all the Hive Fleets i like how Karken has waged war, sinking its tendrils in a galaxy and stoping all warnings, and attacking more then one world at a time. A bold move having smaller fleets break off and go after different worlds. unlike behemoth attack as one large hive fleet.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well, particularly resistant. And I think it would be to a certain degree. Like a bulletproof vest could resist pistol bullets but not a .50 caliber round.

Besides! It'd be a hefty point penalty. Possibly giving negatives. Less toughness against other sorts of attacks or something along those lines. Like a normal toughness 2 against other forms of attack by toughness 4 against las weaponry. This would mean a las gun would have a much tougher time (combined with their usual sucktastic 6+ armor save) wounding them, las cannons would still vaporize one in a hit, and they're not running over every guard army they meet.

But that's TT and not fluff, sooo...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts