Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question/debate not on the utility of Mycetic Spores, but on whether or not to arm them. I see quite a few lists with spods, but they never appear to have any of the additional available weapons. Here's how I see the tradeoff:

Pro - Spods are already 40 points of transport. They're immobile, but for those points you're getting a decent armor save, 3 wounds, and 6" of area denial with a pretty strong Ripper Tentacle attack. The enemy is likely to be more worried about what's coming out of the spod than the spod itself, so it would seem that adding a gun would increase the threat value of the spod and create further confusion and problems for nearby units. Any of the available weapons are either blast or multiple attack, and have an 18"-36" range which can cause trouble on the enemy's side of the board. They're going to have to devote time and firepower to take out the spod (or at least move to get out of range), allowing your "real" units a better chance to survive and do damage.

Con - You're adding another 10-20 points of gear to an immobile, non-scoring unit that is going to automatically choose the nearest target to shoot at. It doesn't have a good BS, so many of its shots are going to miss or scatter. You need to take a 20-point venom cannon to have any real chance of damaging vehicles. If you're facing a mech-heavy or mobile army, they're just going to be left in the dust a turn or two after they land.

That's how I see it anyways. That would lead me to conclude that I would want to weaponize spods if I expect to face defensive-minded players or armies, infantry-heavy armies. Also if I'm playing a mix-up style based heavily on deception and presenting multiple threats, or if I expect to fight most of the battle on the opponent's side of the map.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i can tell you why not,
- Expensive
- Tank shock kills them instrantly(unless by some mericle they stop it)
- Can't control what it shoots at
- Mech arms are the bees knees at the mo so they arn't that great.
- Like Drop pods they just sit there and contest objective and are not ment to fight/shoot

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Regarding your question, i like Spores, last week for example i was playing a 2vs2 opbjective game, i managed to deepstrike my Pod with 2 Zoans next to the objective, my Zoans then Lance a Chimera and imbolise it, then the Spore used the tenticles and managed to kill 5 IG Veterans, i think Spores are nice and ive found some people just kill the transport contents then leave the pods alone thinking they do nothing. But because of there increibly low BS and WS i fail to see the point on spending a fair few points for a VC/BS. Cluster Spines/SS/TL Deathspitter, any of those 3 are fairly solid :) Plus they are nice if you have a few points left over in places since you can usualy buy a weapon if you need to. But generaly Ripper Tentacles do just fine.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Tank Shock does not instant kill the drop pod spores.
It's immobile and fearless. It cannot move to dodge the attack, thus must do a death or glory, which it instantly fails without miracles. Then it dies under a tread.

Same as an immobile dreadnought, who can take it's shots. To argue otherwise would mean you could move immobile units, which makes much less sense then destroying them as they cannot exist overlapping an enemy.

Line of thought: Vehicle instigates tank shock
> spore has a ws, and no av, thus tank shock
>Spore is fearless, may choose DoG or Movement
_-Spore chooses movement
__-Spore must move at least 1" away from the charging vehicle
___-Spore -cannot- move
___-Spore -cannot- move
_-Thus spore does not move
__-Spore is now overlapping existing transport
__-Spore is occupying an enemy models area while not having been assault/in the assault phase
___-Spore is destroyed by most logical standards(Precedence being deep strike, and assault rules, separately)
>Spore instead chooses death or glory
_-Spore might fail or succeed
__-Death or Glory is end result

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It's immobile and fearless. It cannot move to dodge the attack, thus must do a death or glory, which it instantly fails without miracles. Then it dies under a tread.

Same as an immobile dreadnought, who can take it's shots. To argue otherwise would mean you could move immobile units, which makes much less sense then destroying them as they cannot exist overlapping an enemy.

Line of thought: Vehicle instigates tank shock
> spore has a ws, and no av, thus tank shock
>Spore is fearless, may choose DoG or Movement
_-Spore chooses movement
___-Spore -cannot- move
___-Spore -cannot- move
_-Thus spore does not move
__-Spore is now overlapping existing transport
__-Spore is occupying an enemy models area while not having been assault/in the assault phase
___-Spore is destroyed by most logical standards(Precedence being deep strike, and assault rules, separately)
>Spore instead chooses death or glory
_-Spore might fail or succeed
__-Death or Glory is end result
Tyranid FAQ says that while a sporepod can be moved by other models. ie mawloc's terror from the deep. I would assume that this gives you the option to death or glory, or not.

It would take a moral check, and if it passes, nothing. If it fails, nothing because it can never move for any reason. In the case where the tank would stop on it, it would be moved to within one inch of the tank as by the tank shock rules and the tyranid faq.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Tyranid FAQ says that while a sporepod can be moved by other models. ie mawloc's terror from the deep. I would assume that this gives you the option to death or glory, or not.

It would take a moral check, and if it passes, nothing. If it fails, nothing because it can never move for any reason. In the case where the tank would stop on it, it would be moved to within one inch of the tank as by the tank shock rules and the tyranid faq.
I forgot that they needed to sell tyranids. My mistake.

I keep forgetting that once you give a codex every single USR you need to start making up new ones.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
actually, it would be in the best interest of the pod to death or glory. it is an auto hitting CC attack at st 6 and 2d6 on the dice because it is a monsterous creature. it has almost a fifty fifty chance of glancing a landraider. 40pts vs 250... i would take those odds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I throw barbed stranglers or cluster spines on them and tend to drop into areas with relatively heavy infantry concentrations - notably dropping behind them lines ideally. That'll target priority their squads to a large degree and the templates big enough to scatter onto things unintentionally quite easily.

Its also there to deliberately attract a tank shock. The Spore has done its job by then - its got off a pair of attacks and delivered its payload - zoans/doom for instance. If you tank shock it, then you're giving my s6 MC a free hit on you that it wouldnt otherwise get, as well as driving in the wrong direction and not shooting things much. As a bonus, it stands a decent chance of doing something bad to that tank, up to and including wrecking it. If it even does any damage to the tank, its earned its points most of the time in kills, let alone its primary purpose of delivering its passengers to where they need to be.

Most people just end up shooting it with a damaged tactical squad equivalent. Or ignore it - so it gets to shoot again. Again - you're not dealing with the main swarm coming in, so i'm happy.

When you've got 2-3 of these things down, they require them dealing with too. with decent placement in the first place, you can pretty much dictate the targets it'll go for anyways.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Yeah, people thinking that it HAS to DoG when Tank Shocked is completely baseless.
It cannot move VOLUNTARILY, but it can be MOVED by other things, big difference between an active and a passive action, BIG difference.

Anyway, I always give my pods (which often have large units of Devour-armed Termagants in them :D) Twin-Linked Deathspitters.
Cluster spines and that are the only real options as I see it.

Cluster Spines is a Large Blast, so the BS isn't an issue, and it's fairly powerful.
The shortish range isn't an issue either, since this thing will ALWAYS be amongst enemy lines.

Deathspitter is the better option in my opinion, 3 S5 shots with a 55% chance of hitting, at the rear armour of a vehicle, in addition to the 6 S6 AP- shots at 6", with a 33% chance of hitting, means you're very likely to cause a bit of havoc on any non-heavy vehicle :>

But really, putting 20 Devourer-Gaunts in a pod is incredible, that's 60 shots!
Add to that the Pod can occasionally destroy a Transport, you're in business :D

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
But really, putting 20 Devourer-Gaunts in a pod is incredible, that's 60 shots!
Add to that the Pod can occasionally destroy a Transport, you're in business :D
Operation Meat Sheild is a Go! I repeat Operation Meath Sheild is a Go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts