Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some tyranids and I'd really like to paint them I'm just really not sure how to go about it, I was thinking of spraying them white and then using some washes to give the white a tinge in the crevices and then perhaps making the carapace the solid colour of it, but I'm not sure. I dunno I'm just having problems imagining a cohesive interesting scheme for them, so I was hoping you could help me with some inspiration.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This always bothers me too when looking for paint schemes of the more 'animal' races of Warhammer Fantasy and 40,000. I'm currently working on a paint scheme for a Troglodon (Lizardmen) and I've found a lovely picture of a spinosaurus on Google which I'm going to copy. For Tyranids, why not look up insects, arachnids and stuff?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
For Tyranids, why not look up insects, arachnids and stuff?
What he said! Reference! Just a quick search of 'colorful insects' came up with this!

(It's not technically and insect which does peeve me).

I can see that color scheme being cool! Same with something like this!

Reference is a great jumping off point for any project, just do your research :)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did google searches before but I think I was using the wrong terms lol, that black and white one looks interesting, although I doubt I'd be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I did google searches before but I think I was using the wrong terms lol, that black and white one looks interesting, although I doubt I'd be able to pull it off.
Priming the model white, then using (a lot of) shades of Nuln Oil (for black) and Agrax Earthshade (for a more organic looking white-ish color) will get you most of the way there. The red could be used for some of the back spines and maybe the talons or teeth. There's a dozen different ways to get the results you'd want man, you just have to ask :)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may do the original blue and purple scheme, you know the really old fashion version, don't tend to see many of them any more.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol No problem, btw just a question if I spray red over a black base coat will it be drastically affected or will it completely ignore the black?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Probably depends on the thickness of the coat. A light pass will no doubt be significantly darker than if it were on a white primer. But if you keep spraying over it it'll eventually just be the red on the can.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good site for testing tyranid schemes

http://www.fallensunasylum.org/nids/online_painter.html

I felt spoiled for choice when I was considering nid schemes! Practically any colour can work, and a huge array of colour combinations too. Pink isn't off the table, and all bright colours and pastels are doable. Similarly dark, earthy or pallid albino looking themes work nicely too.

I saw this video a while ago; loads of good ideas to be had here!

I spent about two weeks mulling over various ideas before I decided to go with a sort of green-blue carapace with a human flesh colour for the skin. Fleshborers and other guns are bone, stuff like tongues are pink.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have some tyranids and I'd really like to paint them I'm just really not sure how to go about it, I was thinking of spraying them white and then using some washes to give the white a tinge in the crevices and then perhaps making the carapace the solid colour of it, but I'm not sure. I dunno I'm just having problems imagining a cohesive interesting scheme for them, so I was hoping you could help me with some inspiration.
The way they do Hive fleet Kraken in the how to paint miniatures book is very similar to this - white base and wash the body then a solid red carapace. It really works, you just need to find 2 contrasting colours, if you are trying to a get a whit beody then try something like a green carapace, often when trying to find schemes I end up looking at other armies and look at colours that waork well for that faction. For instance try looking at lots of different eldar craftworlds as thy use a lot of ceramic colours that could be easily transferred to nid models

·
Registered
585 Posts
You're on the right track with washes. It's best to keep things simple with 'nids as every model will be in the same colours, unlike other armies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of what I am seeing is always to prime, but if I'm not mistaken the primer games-workshop has is chaos black, will this effect lighter paint schemes? I too am looking into how and what to paint tyranids I actually like the white/purple scheme they have going on on the site... lol

- T.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
No they do white too, and recently they have released several other (a blue, green and red I think), if you are going for a lighter paint scheme it is generally easier to prime in white

·
Registered
74 Posts
No they do white too, and recently they have released several other (a blue, green and red I think), if you are going for a lighter paint scheme it is generally easier to prime in white
Well that's good to hear, I all I have seen on the shelf is a can of chaos black that's why I ask :) What is the white base/primer called?

- T.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Skull white, there are also good primers that you can find online that will do the job just as well if you can't find any

1 - 20 of 40 Posts