Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of Warhammer and have been collecting and playing (in the loosest possible terms) a Tyranid army - they just seemed the most fun!

I have a query about cover on Monstrous Creatures as I'm a bit unsure - ie. short of being behind a building that covers 50% of their bodies, can they get one? I've read that MCs can get a cover save from a units, such as gargoyles, but not sure how this would work in practice, or if you can get a cover save from anything else...

Also, Raveners - is there a place for these in anything below 2000 points? (2k is generally the maximum I play at the moment).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just like infantry of normal size a MC needs 50% of its body out of LoS to gain a cover save. You can get this anyway you can, hiding it behind a building as you said, behind warriors (i think they can with some clever positioning ect). Also don't forget the ol venomthrope.

As for the Raveners, anything can be used it just takes time to learn how to use a unit correctly, however compared to other stuff in the codex Raveners are a bit lack luster. They can be used, but other stuff is easier to learn.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Yah, an MC has to be at least 50% obscured to gain cover. Easier just to use a venomthrope as panzerpig said.

Raveners are pretty straightforward to use, and very effective. Considering your other FA options, I think Raveners are the way to go. In less than 2k, probably go for a brood of 5-6, as the three you get in the box doesn`t form an effective unit. :)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Infantry get a cover save if 50%+ of the unit is in area cover, or obscured, or if other units are in between. How visible does not matter with regard to intervening units.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also, Raveners - is there a place for these in anything below 2000 points? (2k is generally the maximum I play at the moment). Any help would be much appreciated!
Personally I use Genestealers since they are scoring. However Raveners are Beasts so are slightly faster (12" charge). Use them to take out light tanks and heavy weapon teams. They are a one dimensional unit but can be put to good effect. They do not really need guns but at higher point levels you can put Spinefists on them.

210 Points - 6 Raveners with Rending Claws.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Raveners are great fun at around 1.5kand higher. much lower, and you're sacrificing too much to make it work. 4-5 tends to be a good size for the kind of target you're looking to take on (ranged fire support teams like long fangs/devastators/heavy weapon teams/etc) They really work well with rending, and dont really need anything else. Treat them as a fire and forget group, let them race to their target of choice and kill it. You'll either have a combat group splitting off from the front line away from all your incoming horm/stealer/warrior/trygon/etc to deal with it, or them getting free roaming to kill whatever they want once they've dealt with their primary target. Just avoid power fists like the plague.

MC's like anything else gain cover by having intervening models cover half of their body. gargoyles are pretty good for this, as by flying they tend to cover a significant % of the body relatively easily, while gaunts are stuck on the ground, so cover the ankles. The bit they dont get cover from is being in area terrain.
Theres some neat tricks you can pull off with some of them too - like a tyrant with a guard (tyranid prime+carnifex works too). The tyrant gets the cover save, so long as you can keep the guard in cover, and being a non-MC and smaller, he's a lot easier to give a cover save too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts