Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious as there is not a clearcut answer, but could I equip a carnifex with both crushing claws and a heavy venom cannon? the stat box says you can replace 1 pair of scything talons with claws, and the monstrous bio weapons says I can replace any pair of scything talons with a weapon in the list, which includes HVC, just curious if there is a rule I missed any where that says no cant do that

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
how many pairs of scything talons does a carnifex start with? and/or how many can It have max?

If the carnifex starts with 2 sets of scything talons then you can effectively make two upgrades (such as the crushing claws and HVC you mentioned in the OP)

----

If the carnifex starts with 1 set of scything talons, and no way to get a second set, then you can only have 1 upgrade that replaces scything talons.

Can't help out too much without the book.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes you can take CC and a heavy venom, but I'd recommend two pairs of devourers or, if you don't want to convert or buy additional parts, one pair of devourers and one pair of crushing claws

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is my 2nd carnifex, I wanted one that was a heavy heavy support, bit of a point sink, but strong at range and a wrecking machine vs vehicles

·
Registered
533 Posts
For range I'd still take a stranglethorn over a heavy venom. The STC is a pretty solid anti infantry gun where the HVC doesn't really do anything particularly well

I know this isn't the point of the thread but I'd carefully consider the heavy venom cannon. It doesn't do much to vehicles or infantry and it seems a shame not to take advantage of the brainleech devourer options- you can always give it adrenal glands for the S10 attacks against vehicles, albeit without armourbane

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have another carnifex from the deathstorm baal set, he has scything talons and STC, this one i want to be able to hit hard against single targets like characters or elites at range, and deal damage to things like tanks and dreadnoughts with the CC

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'll throw my opinion in the fray. Crushing Claws to be your can opener on vehices. Since you need to get close to vehicles likehood is that infrantry is close as well, so you shouldn't need a long range option.
So a pair of twin-linked devourers :) and bio-plasma. You can perform two shooting attacks so devourers can lay in multiple shots and bio-plasma will kill whatever remains under the blast marker.

Or if you can't spend the points, just go with bio-plasma, Spine Banks, Crushing Claws and scything talons for an extra attack in CC. I normally run one fex in this config, works really well if it survives to the closer range.

But if you really want long rang option Heavy Venom Cannon will work against... well.... other Nids. Essentially you want to be playing against someone with few models in the unit high saves and 4 or below toughess with multiple wounds. *cough* Warriors.

You could use magnets and swap between Venom Cannon and STC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am definitely considering magnetizing both this carnifex and my hive tyrant, i'd like to be able to switch between a flyrant and a normal HT, i plan on getting the wrath of the hive mind set as well for a tervigon and another HT, build one as a swarmlord and one as flyrant/hive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, you can. Because the Carnifex is equipped with two sets of Scything Talons, you can treat each as a separate weapon, and replace it accordingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts