Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was putting together a 500pt Tyranid force together the other day when it occurred to me that the Tyrinid Prime is a separate IC to the Warriors and not an upgrade. Warriors are min 3 to a unit and the Prime is just a supped up Warrior, but must be the fourth? However you only get three in a Battleforce. So am I right in thinking that you can't field a legal force with the Battleforce alone?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
battleforces dont give legal armies there a supplement.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Quoted for truth, i think mainly its to get you buying, since it would still require your to buy a codex anyways, plus most armys have a HQ option you can pick up for less than £12 so its not that bad. But if anything Battleforces are good for buying en masse for cheap with some good variety ranging from force to force (still prefer the old 'Nid Battleforce to the current one mind you) evne though the current 1 is better for this edition after what they did to the 'fex lol

But technicly you could still field a legal army using the 'Nid battleforce since you just use your gaunts as your 2 troop options and jsut use 1 of the warriors as a Prime, sure you would be wasting those 2 warriros but its still legal lol

If i rememebr rightly Megaforces came with a HQ, speakign of which do GW still do Megaforces since i havnt seen them for along time lmao

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
plus most armys have a HQ option you can pick up for less than £12
Nids sure don't. The cheapest HQ is another box of warriors. Hive tryant 60 bucks. Trivigon 60 bucks. Parasite is another box of warriors, flying base, and wings. Swarmlord is a hive tyrant plus time or boneswords direct order (if you can.

I am pretty sure there is no nid mega force... there may be ones in other armies. I think I saw an ork one awhile ago.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Actually, while battleforces are supplements to an existing army. It is possible for some of the battleforces to be used as the start off for a legal force. Chaos, loyalist marines, Eldar, Tau, and I believe guard battleforces can create some legal forces. (Actually, I know for a fact that this is the case with Tau and Chaos Marines.)

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Nids sure don't. The cheapest HQ is another box of warriors. Hive tryant 60 bucks. Trivigon 60 bucks. Parasite is another box of warriors, flying base, and wings. Swarmlord is a hive tyrant plus time or boneswords direct order (if you can.

I am pretty sure there is no nid mega force... there may be ones in other armies. I think I saw an ork one awhile ago.
I did say most, im a 'Nid player and am fully aware the vast majoirty of theire HQs are expnesive, but i suppose you could pick up a single warritor on ebay or soemthing to use as a Prime :p

But yeah there used to be a Tau and Space Marine megaforce i know that much lol

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I did say most, im a 'Nid player and am fully aware the vast majoirty of theire HQs are expnesive, but i suppose you could pick up a single warritor on ebay or soemthing to use as a Prime :p

But yeah there used to be a Tau and Space Marine megaforce i know that much lol
:grin: Yeah. I like Nids, but it is a money intensive army. I finally broke two thousand points and have well over 200 models. Best looking army in the game. No bias. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
alas no. When i started on Nids i got the battle force and an extra box of Warriors for the Prime. So ya, Nids are just 1 of the battle forces that make it impossible to field a 500pts+ army straight away.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can do 500pts legally with the Nid BF, just take the upgrades. Just because you can't use 2 of the Warriors does not mean you have to fall short on points.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can do 500pts legally with the Nid BF, just take the upgrades. Just because you can't use 2 of the Warriors does not mean you have to fall short on points.
ya but i mean taking toxin and adrenal on everythign as well as rippers and then only having 1 modal with synapse to keep them together.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Even though two HQ's at 500 points is generally not done, it might actually be a good idea in this case.

I mean with the battleforce you could have:

HQ;
Prime
Adrenal Glands; pair of boneswords

Prime
Adrenal glands

Troops:
7x Genestealers
7x Scything talons

14x Termagants
14x Toxin sacs

14x Hormagaunts
14x Adrenal glands

Total: 498

Might not be the most optimal force (I just guessed on points and what upgrades might be good) but synapse is not a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts