Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, Extended Carapace, Rending claws 3x scything talons, 1 x Lashwhip]
4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, Extended Carapace, Rending claws 3x scything talons, 1 x Lashwhip]

Lictor 80

10 Borerguants
10 Borerguants
10 Spineguants[scuttlers]
10 Spineguants[scuttlers]
8 Spineguants[scuttlers]
8 Hormagaunts[toxinsacs] 96

Ravenor Scything talons and Rending claws 40

3 Zoanthropes[warpblast, Synapse]
Carnifex [Venom Cannon, Barbed strangler, Enhanced senses, Reinforced Chitin]

A possible contender for a gt list, Designed not to be overly affected by escaltion, but still have some shootiness for when its needed

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the list basically uses the warriors in place of genestealers. They have the bonus of being synapse and are around the same in closecombat.

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for the comments guys.

Tyranid: you can combine different weapon types in squads, just the same model can only have 2 weapons. 1 guy in each Tyranid warrior squad has lashwhips over scything talons. It would be 2/2 but i dont have the models to do that.

One lictor is basically in the list to help in escalation missions.

Musings on Extended Carapace: My own thoughts are exactly the same as fallen angels, the majority of armies, especially at the Gt rely on heavy weapons over basic weaponry and so they are likely to get hit by AP4 stuff anyway and waste the points spent on Carapace. However anytime i post a list without it on i get a dozen replies saying add extended carapace. :) Shouldn't let myself get Railroaded, my intention was to post it like this, then take it out last minute and spend the points on gaunts :)

Spinefists are certainly preferable if your only going to use your guants to assault, but the borer allows them to take out AV10 stuff, plus the list is made with the models i have in mind. The only thing i'd need to buy is a few warriors and the fex's. I was thinking any how of dropping a warrior squad either for more gaunts or prehaps a tyrant/broodlord with a little shuffling

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, Rending claws 3x scything talons, 1 x Lashwhip]
4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, Rending claws 3x scything talons, 1 x Lashwhip]

Lictor 80

12 Spineguants[scuttlers]
8 Genestealers

This is more in line with what i playtested last year. Basically though i had no fex's before or hormies but i think fexes are needed. In the playtest i managed to gain a narrow win over the old winning ultwe seercouncil of doom list, but struggled to deal with armour, especially skimmers

or theres this version with more stealers

4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, Extended Carapace, Rending claws 2x scything talons, 2 x Lashwhip]

Lictor 80

8 Genestealers
8 Genestealers
8 Genestealers

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spineguants with scuttlers i find to be really good for what there in the lists for, getting in quickly to hold up the enemy, and for looking threatening. If you go first your spineguants are already on top of the enemy. In many ways i find they serve the roll of hormaguants, but are cheaper. the 8 strong units i find are good for moving up behind cover then charging, then coming out and charging in a single turn, i often consider getting bigger squads but they end up being too big to hide and get targetted by my opps.

2nd list i was thinking the tyrant would be better, will have to have a shuffle with the list :)

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah the twin-dev tyrant is known with affection by my opponents :twisted: they love it when he turns up to battle. He's known as MR Machinegun, no very imaginative i know, but it does seem kinda fitting :)

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good return for the points then :)
I rarely have genestealers make it to combat but when they do its usually brutal. I'm dubious as to scything talons as it seems wise that having more models would me more will make it into combat. Maybe droping squad sizes to 6 would allow the points for it and make them look less frightening meaning they will take less fire on there way across the board

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
true, speeders are THE reason for having fex's at all. They are the only thing nids have capable of pinging them each turn to slow them down. I think Nids will usually own mixed eldar and tau lists and only true mech or maxed vs hoard are to be a big issue

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wa more referring to skimmer tanks and the like. Falcons, railheads that kinda thing

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Youve used nids at the Gt how do u think the list compare to yours with regards to what its likely to face?

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hive Tyrant [wings, 2 x Twin-linked devourers, Enhanced senses, Toxin Sacs, Flesh hooks, Implant Attack]

Broodlord[Implant attack, Toxin sacs, Flesh Hooks]
5 genestealers[extended carapace, fleshhooks]

4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, Extended Carapace, Rending claws 2x scything talons, 2 x Rending claws]

Lictor 80

8 Borerguants[scuttlers] 64
12 spinegaunts[scuttlers]
12 spinegaunts[scuttlers]
4 Ripperswarms[leaping, Toxin sacs] 56

This is what a standard kind of list i would play usually looks like, give or take,

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
To be honest this is more the kind of list i would be likely to take, tweeked a bit, the first two were more theory lists. as a gt list i would probably drop the rippers, hormies and borer gaunts in favour of more spinegaunts.

what do you mean abouut rippers not being able to take biomorphs? the thing in the rules pack is referring to making your own hive fleet under the old codex.

also i'm not sure if i would worry about the broodlord in the gt as he is very dependent on terrain, and many armies at the gt are fairly mobile and can move away from him. He can work well with the winged tyrant and scuttle gaunts as you can create a net around the opp which is hard to get out of.

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
who would care :) if someone wants uber rippers i say let them :) In fact i would love it someone did and they somehow managed to win the GT with em. Converted Ripper tyrant leading the force :)

Did u find the Broodlord was worth it? i know he did ok vs me and jez but we were both cc armies. Most games i use him he works well to draw fire, deployed in 4+ cover he attracts alot of attention.

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
the real probs with your list at the gt would be escalation, where alot of you army wouldn't show at the start and your synapse would likely die in the first or second turn, unless you hide it, but then your not moving forwards, so your gaunts are going to be limited as to where they can move. In escalation if your fex comes on in turn 2 and the game doesn't have a 7th turn then he wont even reach the enemy deployment zone. You definately have a hoard army but in half the games the opp can take it on piece-meal. A walking tyrant is a sitting target and in escalation is definately no optimal. Sure rending stuff can charge tanks, but if your opp has 3 hammerheads, are they ever going too?

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Although no matter how much you prepare for something the dice can go against you, the more prepare you are the easier it will be when the dice go wrong. I am firmly of the belief that you can certainly outplay an opp and manage a win against a stronger list againt the odds with your tactics and knowledge of your list. The thing is at the gt, especially once you get a few wins in hand you will be playing against people who know there list well, and a tactically sound. Even with the strongest list it will be a difficult game, so if they are prepared for escalation and mission based games and your not then they have a big advantage over you.

· Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hive Tyrant [wings, Twin-linked devourers, Scything Talons, Enhanced senses, Toxin Sacs, Flesh hooks, Implant Attack, adrenal glands ws, adrenal glands init, bioplasma]

Broodlord[implant attack, toxin sacs, fleshhooks]
6 Genestealers[extended carapace]

4 Tyranid warriors[Leaping, 4 x scything talons, 4 x Rending claws]

6 Genestealers
6 Genestealers
16 spinegaunts
16 spinegaunts
16 spinegaunts [or can have 4x12?]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts