Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, :grin:

I'm hoping for some input on a list I've thought about for some time now. I've thumbed through the CSM codex a few times and have this urge to run a Typhus army at 2K with Zombies maxing out my troops slot, which I think is 30 per slot? I can't remember as I don't have the codex. For the remainder of the points, I figured I could fill out the Fast slots with Helldrakes and the Heavy with Vindicators. So, a list looking something like this.

HQ
Typhus

Troops
Zombies X 30
Zombies X 30
Zombies X 30
Zombies X 30
Zombies X 30
Zombies X 30

Fast
Helldrake
Helldrake
Helldrake

Heavy
Vindicator
Vindicator
Vindicator

That would pretty much be it. I've never run a CSM army before and curious as to IF this would work and what its major failings are.
I appreciate your time in looking this over.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
35 minis in a cultist squad, max. It's an odd cap, yeah.

Not a lot of anti-tank. I mean, you've got the tarpits to take on a Knight list or something, but...

Not a very fast list, thanks to all the Slow & Purposeful.

I think one of the main obstacles to fielding this list would be making the 180 (or 210, if you max out) zombie-cultist minis, who really wouldn't have much use for other lists. Would be interesting to see this run against an ork Green Tide army, though!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd probably be tempted to take no ground armour units, thus denying your opponent any targets to shoot their anti armour weapons at, unless they want to snap fire at the heldrakes.

Also the heldrakes and vindicators have too similar roles for my liking. Granted the vindis are good against 2+ saves and doubling out multi wounds models, and the drakes are effective against units in cover, but they're still essentially anti elite infantry units. Where your weakness lies is anti tank. What if the opponent's list is fully mechanised? Suddenly those cheap rhinos and chimeras may as well be land raiders to your zombies.

I'd maybe keep two of the drakes (assuming baleflamers) and swap the other drake and vindicators out for havocs/obliterators behind an aegis line. While those units will present better targets than the zombies for anti tank weapons they still aren't very good targets since they're getting decent cover saves. Essentially you're shutting down the opponent's low AP shooting

Regarding the number of zombies I think it's probably a bit excessive. I realise that's the idea but you'd probably do just as well with units of 25, or five units instead of six. Not to mention how much time and money it's going to require to buy, assemble, paint and base 180 zombies. I'd cut down on zombies and take another HQ. A nurgle sorcerer or chaos lord.

An unintended benefit of the above ideas are you'd actually come out with a fluffier list. Typhus, his second in command and Death Guard infantry guys herding a massive horde of zombies. It makes way more sense than one nurgle sorcerer lord with his six vehicles and 180 zombies. Who does Typhus even talk to when he's not fighting battles? The vindicator drivers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts