Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing my buddies CSM the other day with my nids, and he used his force weapon against my Trygon and rolled triple ones, so the Trygon died but i said "k now take perils of the warp". My friend however insisted he did not need to because it says under Typhus Herdle of Nurgle:

"Typhus is a Psyker and has Wind of Chaos and Nurgle's Rot physic powers. In addition, Typhus always successfully passes his Physic tests when using these two powers (and so is immune to Perils of the Warp)."

He took this to mean he is immune to perils of the warps always and forever, against any physic test he would have to take, in this case, the physic test for his force weapon. I proceeded to try and teach him the basic rules of the English language, to no avail. Was i correct in that Typhus is only immune to perils when concerning those two powers? or is he actually immune to all perils of the warps?

·
Registered
496 Posts
well the statement implys he is immune fully to perials, but because of its position i see were you are comming from

Roll off would be the best bet here since this could legitimatly go either way quite easily

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
RAW implies that Typhus is immune to perils of the warp, period.

RAI is that Typhus automatically passes his psychic tests when using wind of chaos and nurgles rot, thus is immune to perils of the warp for those powers, not when using his force weapon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My point in that a) because its in the same sentance, the immune to perils is referring to the two powers and b) they put that in there for those two specific powers because if he went k i automatically pass i could argue k you still have to roll the dice to see wether or not you take perils, even through you passed the test. It doesn't say he doesnt take the test, just that it auto passes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree with you Shadow. "Typhus always successfully passes his Physic tests when using these two powers (and so is immune to Perils of the Warp)." yes, he is immune to perils for his spells but it does not state that he is immune when using his force weapon. So I suppose it could go either way

·
Has Dain Brammage
157 Posts
Dice off on it, or better yet, agree beforehand.

However, round here we play that he ONLY auto-passes the wind and rot, he's still gotta test for the FW, as that takes a little more effort to blow up someones mind than burping in their face or just being a smelly guy near them (forgive the fluffy explaination, it's how we justified it and it keeps everyone happy enough)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
The immunity to Perils is a result of not rolling a Psychic Test. Hence the "and so" part.

·
Registered
496 Posts
its not that clear "and so is immune to Perils of the Warp"
if it was for his other two skills then it would say when using these skills
but it simply states he is immune, with no limitations

Though i do agree its only for the two abilitys, the RAW can be taken either way and the RAI are that he can take perils on force weapon tests

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I'm sorry no, this is really obvious.

Codex Chaos Space Marines pg55 said:
In addition, Typhus always successfully passes his Physic tests when using these two powers (and so is also immune to the effects of Perils of the Warp).
It's even part of the same sentence as the reference to the two powers. There is absolutely no way you could confuse this with good faith.

Aramoro

·
Registered
496 Posts
its positioning has no bearing on the fact that its worded to imply he is fully immune

when i first read it i took it that he is completely immune so i can understand why there would be confusion

the rule can be interpreted either way whether in good faith or not, since it just says he is immune, not that he is immune when using these two powers

its an easy mistake to make just because it simply says hes immune not that hes immune while using the two aforementioned powers.

Arrrgh the spelling!

-DK

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm with Aramo on this one, the part about being immune is used as a further explanation to the rule just described, this is why they made use of the words "and so" and they used ( and ).

Btw, what are ( ) called in english? :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thx for the info :)

(sorry for the disruption of the thread)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thx for the info :)

(sorry for the disruption of the thread)
Questions benn answered so you didnt interupt much

we all agree that its only for the two powers

but IMHO it can be easy to confuse because because of he way they worded it (much like most other GW rules)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Altho its fairly clear when you read it over with some attention i do agree that they could have worded it (far) better.

But were talking GW here.... this is hardly the worst example :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts