Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really torn between starting Guard or Orks. I can see the benefits of both armies but I'm just not sure.

Orks are an underplayed army at my local store, which is a positive but then again I now know nothing about the way they work apart from when I used to play back under 3rd edition rules. I guess not much has changed since then but I do know the rules now favour shooting more which is kind of a negative aspect to orks.

On the issue of guard does anyone know if they are going to be removing the metal steel legion models? I'm considering getting at least two platoons worth of them if they are since I've always liked the models but never got around to getting some, however with the up coming IG dex I'm worried they may remove them entirely or at least increase the cost of them, what do you think?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't see them removing Steel Legion, but I doubt they'll get any support, and they'll certainly remain Direct-Only and the stock may run out inconveniently.

Orks are a pretty hit and miss army, but you can have a lot of fun with them. They revolve around attrition and losing the right stuff before you can hit people with them. If your opponent is shit-hot at target priority and has the guns to convert that into real results, you'll lose, and lose badly. If you can provide enough target saturation that your opponent can't apply enough pressure in enough places, you'll win and win nicely, in my experience. Either way you'll have fun as stuff blows up or runs away at the worst moments, or randomly does way more damage than you expected. Apparently Orks are a great shooting army, but I'd disagree - they're a great *anti-air* army, having both strong native anti-air in Lootas (-1 Ballistic Skill, what a shame) and Tankbustas (less effective due to potentially 1/3 the shots, but cheap as hell for Krak Missiles and you can put them in a tank moving at Cruising Speed towards the Flyer to overcome Glory Hogs), as well as great Forge World options in the Mekboy Junka (a truly excellent piece of armour) and the Flakk Trakk (a pretty neat anti-air unit for a reasonable price).

Forge World Orks in particular are pretty excellent - some great options for the basic Codex such as Grot Tanks and the aforementioned Junkas, as well as access to Battle Brother allies of Dread Mob if you can fill the Troops requirement (Spanna Boyz are just worse Boyz, Grot Scavengers are just worse Grots, Deff Dreads are neat but don't work in every army - although they are fairly cheap at 170pts minimum for 2) and get access to extra Junkas and Painbosses (30 Boyz with Feel No Pain is actually scary, and it gives them an extra Power Klaw - always good!).

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to like my armies to have a steady backbone if I'm being fair with myself, I could see myself getting very agitated by orks.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
then go with Guard,

Guard tend to currently rely on Commissars in platoon blobs and Vet squads with spammed special weapon choice to be really effective...suck being in assault (unless YOU are the blob) and tend to die terribly horrific deaths to marines.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not that many marine players at the store, I'd probably say I'm pretty much the only guy who keeps bringing them, there's a lot of eldar for some reason and tau and necrons and tyranids, some do have marines but they don't play that often, I mean there's a grey knight player but I don't really count them as marines.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
GK will eat guard in their shooting and assault, but you should easily be able to bring enough weight of fire to bear to bring them down. Remember, lascannons are good, but lasguns kill terminators too.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Orks are a psychological army. You lay out 90-120 Boyz on the table and your opponent will shit themselves. Their target priority goes tits up. Do they spend a few turns trying to thin out the Tide? Do they try to take down the Wagon full of Nobz? Is it worth blasting those Grots that are screening the Boyz? Its an overload.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts