Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens when two opposing units are shooting each other in the same area terrain? my club has some large pieces so the units can be at least 6" away. does the over 2" rule apply or is no cover save applied?

·
Registered
62 Posts
This has never come up with me but if it did I think I would argue on the side of yes--a cover save could be taken if you are firing through more than 2 inches of terrain.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Its never come up for me but I'd play it that if I'm shooting through 2 inches then I'd give a coversave. But I tend to be quite generous, handing out coversaves left, right and centre.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
The 2" thing is if the target is in the open and you are firing through 2"+ of AT. If both units are in AT then both are granted a cover save, regardless of the source of fire or distance from the firer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're looking for a real life physics explanation for why this might be the case (DeathKlokk and KingOfCheese are quite correct that about the rule), I would suggest that you think about your models being in a forest and firing at your opponent's models who are also in the forest. Both units have the opportunity to dodge behind trees and have branches and fallen trees provide sight limitations, even at a mere ten feet apart.

The Two inch rule is explained in the BRB as being a fair representation of firing out of cover because you can assume a position that allows your unit to be obscured by trees, etc. while drawing unobscured sight lines out of the forest and into the open.

The BRB also gives a nifty justification for why they decided that infantry models with even a tiny bit of toe hidden from the firing model's sight should receive a full on cover save, since they would be actively seeking to use that object to avoid your fire.

I understand that the rules do not sync up with real world physics and that you should not try to justify rules with real world physics or use real world physics to make new rules, however I enjoyed the cover section of the BRB because they took the time to explain their thought process in the formulation of the cover rules. (And the next time some one suggests that they should receive a 3+ cover save because their Fast, Skimmer drove behind a ruin I'll just say "No" like always. Sources of of Cover saves have no reason to stack.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts