Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
So, Fantasy 8th Edition was released about two and a half months ago now, so we've all had a chance to put it through it's paces. I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Australia, there has been quite a bit of both praising and griping about this edition. For those in the tournament scene especially, there seems to be a lot of people who think the game needs tweaks and balances to work well as a competitive game. While the arguments over 8th continue, we've seen a number of our top players, people who helped to grow a vibrant Fantasy community in Aus, taking breaks from the game and trying out other systems, even as some newer players are joining, attracted by the new edition.

So, people are debating the merits of 8th. Some think it's refreshing, far more fun and spontaneous, and more balanced between army books. Others consider it to be less tactical, that warmachines/big magic can decide a game too easily, and that luck plays a much greater hand in the victory now days.

With all that in mind, I thought I'd put up a quick post, and see how people are finding the game, gauge what the Heresy community thinks about the new edition.

So, here's some questions for you:

1) what are your observations of warhammer 8th? What has changed, what didn't, and what surprised you?
Don't like Magic Lores, or the lack of being able to use multiple casters of a lore, but otherwise it's fine. Don't like the random charge distances, or the horde features - for example, CW hordes - although expensive, they're still huge armoured men 8 foot high in full plate armour twice the width of a man - the fact that they can still "horde" against Pikemen in a small block (i.e 3 ranks fighting through when around 6-10 Pikes/Spears would be able to fight one "IRL") is a bit stretching, and broken as it now relies on 3 great blocks.

It's something I'd prefer to see for an "Apocalypse" style game, but not in normal battles, where I'm forced to play my "scouting" style armies against an enemy with an immovable block of flankless dwarves with a T4 4+/6++ and two ranks of Crossbows to fire with.

2) Does it need some tweaks to play well? Does it work as a competitive game, right out of the box, or does it need definite restrictions to create good games in a tournament setting?
Aside from returning to 8th, fix the above issues, and I'd be quite fine.

3) Do luck, tactics and list building mean more, less or the same in the new edition, as in 7th?
Luck has a greater factor than 7th, less so than 6th, but then again, so does the correct build matter more than 7th, but less than 6th.

4) Are you Happy with the game? If you're a long term player, has 8th given you a new reason to enjoy the game, or has it lost your interest?
I'm playing less and less due to the people who are coming up. I'm sounding like an old fart, I know with my back in the day, speeches, but it's lost it's appetite for me. I much prefer to play the campaign style battles from Imperial Armour and the like, and the background of the game. And mathhammering combinations for the sheer hell of it, but I'm never going to collect it like I did in 6th and 7th.

5) What are the general reactions of the gaming communities in your area? Both from local groups, and in the tournament Scene?
hordes of 13 year olds, less and less older "competitive" players, even less and less "fluff" players, and a general dislike of the cartoon shit the modellers are putting out.

6) Any general comments on 8th? (or questions I should add :))
Chaos Dwarves are coming from Forge World. I'll be looking into getting them rather than a new army, I think - matches my Elysians and Navy Tactical Wings.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.