Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
1) what are your observations of warhammer 8th? What has changed, what didn't, and what surprised you?
Obviously, movement and magic were the two biggest changes, with maneuvering becoming much less of an issue and magic becoming way more dominant. I like the fact that heavy cavalry is no longer the be-all, end-all factor in games, but I lament the fact that heavy cav has just been displaced by Level 4 Mages throwing around the uber spells.

2) Does it need some tweaks to play well? Does it work as a competitive game, right out of the box, or does it need definite restrictions to create good games in a tournament setting?
I think that there are some obvious tweaks that might make the game better. Of course, it goes without saying that I am just throwing these out and haven't actually playtested them, as is the norm for bitching posts here. :)
1. The steadfast rule really shouldn't apply if you're charged in the flank. We've covered this numerous times in the past, and I don't need to rehash all those thousands of posts.
2. You should only need 5, not 2 ranks of 5, enemy models in your flank to remove rank bonuses. I hate Chaos Knights with a passion, but forcing WoC players to fit 12-15 Knights into their tourney lists is near impossible, and it kills many of the quintessential WHFB units (Chaos Knights, Dragon Princes, Blood Knights, etc.)
3. 12 needs to be an absolute limit for power dice generated per magic phase. Things like Death magic being able to generate 12 at the start of the phase, and then adding to the pool throughout the phase, and magic items that constantly generate close to 12 dice regardless of the amount of dispel dice (Banner of Sorcery, many Staffs, etc.) have become too powerful with the advent of the uber-spells.

3) Do luck, tactics and list building mean more, less or the same in the new edition, as in 7th?
I think that luck is still about the same, though I might see things differently if I regularly was on the receiving end of 13" Dwarven charges. I actually believe that list writing is less important in this edition, as so many units have been weakened in the new rules while strengthening core and basic infantry. These are good, good things.

4) Are you Happy with the game? If you're a long term player, has 8th given you a new reason to enjoy the game, or has it lost your interest?
Very happy. I like that the rules are simpler, as it's made it easier for me to concentrate on what my army does best.

5) What are the general reactions of the gaming communities in your area? Both from local groups, and in the tournament Scene?
Seems like more people are playing right now; we'll see if the newness wears off and WHFB returns to the shadows behind 40K a year from now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm a High Elf player, and even I have to admit that Teclis is just too powerful right now.

Grax said it exactly right: with the new % system (in place of slots), Teclis is available in 2000 point games, which is the "standard," at least everywhere I've played. To have a mage that can cast Dwellers/Pit of Shades/Purple Sun/Transformation every single turn irresistably is bad enough; but when you add in all of his other abilities (ignoring miscasts, all the extra power dice, etc.) he puts those uber spells on top of buffs, missiles, and hexes turn after turn after turn. I would NEVER consider playing Teclis in one of my armies, for the simple fact that I understand how frustrating it would be to play against him, and I sincerely want my opponent to have fun when we're playing.

Wait a minute. How the hell did this thread turn into ANOTHER High Elf whining thread??!!:wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts