Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,175 Posts
1) Movement, magic, and close combat are very different, and for 2/3 I think it's a major improvement. Magic is also improved in many ways, but as others have mentioned, they neglected to cap the power or individual spells and some character's abilities, allowing a single spell to easily determine the course of a game, which is too powerful.

2) It really needs magic capped in some way to keep people from throwing every die they have when casting the more game breaking spells. Otherwise, the game is pretty solid. I don't agree with the belief that huge units of 50-60 infantry are game breaking. They die easily enough when you use war machines and magic against them.

3) Luck definitely matters more in the magic phase, but it matters less in close combat. With a greater number of attacks, we're not having 5-10 dice rolls determine the fates of hundreds anymore, which is a good thing. Tactics are a bit more important than it used to be, since magic can change the game so easily.

4) 8th has certainly made the game flow better, and I like how it revolves more around playing than planning. I just wish that magic worked a bit better.

5) Apart from some tweaking here and there, it runs very similar to how it used to. Most players are experimenting with the armies they have, and many lists that weren't competitive in 7th are suddenly competitive again (High Elves, Dwarves, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs and Goblins, etc).

6) With Ogres you definitely need large blocks now, but I think 18-20 is overkill, and will suffer too much from spells like purple sun. Instead, I'd use 2 units of 10-12 (this number includes attached characters). To defeat large blocks of troops, you need to either do a LOT of damage the first round, or have a BSB within range, or even have the crown of command, which works very well for the Ogres.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
The problem with Teclis is that he isn't over 500 points (so you can field him in a 2000 point game) and he can cast one of those aforementioned game breaking spells EVERY TURN OF THE GAME, and there's no real way to stop him, other than to hit his unit with everything you have, allowing the rest of the army to maneuver around you and strike.

I never said the High Elves were undercosted, far from it. There's just no real way to counter Teclis at the moment, especially during the first half of the game.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.