Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I'd like to try out is altering the turn sequence from YOU GO I GO as far as YOU GO...move, shoot, assault, then I GO...move shoot assault to: alternating Moving, Shooting and assaulting.

Confused?

You move all your guys.
I move all my guys.
You shoot.
I shoot.
You assault.
I assault.

In addition, I'd like to have a roll for initiative every round. d6 + init works nicely. High Roll gets to choose whether to move first or second.

OH...and I'd bring back overwatch.
:shok:

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I think we'd also have to institute mandatory meal breaks in that case ;-)
Sounds fun but sounds like it'll add a lot of time

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Even more so than the switch to a d10, altering the turn sequence would really redesign the entire game mechanic. I imagine that some units, some concepts of tactics, would be totally and royally screwed by the change, while other units may benefit. It would also allow players to respond more intelligently to their foe's moves, though not in a good way. I can see such a change giving shooters a huge advantage over chargers.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yeah. You move your guys closer to charge, I move mine back to shoot you some more. That kinda thing.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
But it would be a fun experiment, I think.

I like the turn by turn initiative roll though.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I don't... imagine an assault army losing first turn, but winning the second? The opposing army would get only 1 chance to shoot, and at maximum range at that, meaning that the majority of the army would be doing nothing during the shooting phase. Then the, lets say BUGS, who have a possible move rate of 36" or better over 2 turns get to hit your lines before you can fire a second shot. This bit of new kit, the dice-off for turn initiative, would make or break most armies on a single die roll before the turn has been played.

It may work with a fully revised turn/phase sequence, but not solely.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I agree it sounds like it would be really fun, but the amount of adjustments that would have to be made would make it a bit of a hassle

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
That sounds like a cool idea and sounds like it would add more strategy and thinking to the game. Although like it was stated, there would have to be tweaks to make sure shooting or assault armies wouldn't get too powerful. Anyone up to giving the rules a change and trying to get this system to work?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds a bit like LOTR SBG.... It Makes you think of multiple plans. In 40k you think alright next im gonna move my marines over here so they cant see me E.T.C (whatever) but if you use this then you have to think what if im not going to move first? ill have to think of a plan for that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Believe it or not, a friend and I did something similar to this. We didn't have a copy of the rules and hadn't played for a fair while so played the game as move move, shoot shoot and assault assault. It was a really fun if unintentional twist. It does kind of skew the whole game though. While tactics do become important a shooty army does get an advantage. I was playing 'nids against dark angels gun line so I lost a good half or more of my swarm before I hit combat simply because the movement phase could exploit distances for the shooting and assault phases. That said, the current system is some what of a 'final-fantasy-turn-based-I-will-stand-politely-and-take-a-sword-to-the-noggin-before-I-respond' kind of thing. Adds realism but massive bias. You guys are right, it would need some major rules juggling to work but it would be very rewarding and a little more realistic in my opinion.

Zeldrin

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've read about some people using the actual initiative values of units to test this theory. It gave a great advantage to high initiative armies like Eldar, but each unit was moved in sequence, so the entire armies moved together instead of one at a time.

I've been interested in trying that out, but I guess you would probably still need to D6 off of equal initiative units, or plot out some sort of "who goes next" chart before the game starts.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Something I'd like to try out is altering the turn sequence from YOU GO I GO as far as YOU GO...move, shoot, assault, then I GO...move shoot assault to: alternating Moving, Shooting and assaulting.

Confused?

You move all your guys.
I move all my guys.
You shoot.
I shoot.
You assault.
I assault.

In addition, I'd like to have a roll for initiative every round. d6 + init works nicely. High Roll gets to choose whether to move first or second.

OH...and I'd bring back overwatch.
:shok:
Makes 40k more LOTRey. But personally I prefer the whole "I get to do this first" thing.

But as for assault, isnt that (to an extent) what we already do? Like I charge, you get to attack first cause higher initiative.

But to make a "For" statment it makes the game more lifelike, which is good, and funnily enough I had the same conversation with a guy at my local GW and it would be a good move by GW

·
Banned
801 Posts
CQC armies are already behind the eight-ball in this edition. This would all but kill them. You figure out a way to stop shooting armies from becoming unstoppable and then we'll talk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hullo guys, first off, I apologize if i appear to be necro-ing the thread.

First off, I have been using a slightly different style of turn sequence, and it has proved to be popular with my playgroup. Essentially,the new turn sequence is as follows:

1) Resolve any issues that say “beginning of turn” (i.e. Eldar psychic powers, etc)
2) Rally any broken units
3) Compulsory movements (Tyranid behaviour, Fleeing units...)
4) Pick a Force Organization Slot choice to activate it (i.e. 1 Troop, or 1 Elite. E.g. for Guard, this would mean the Command Squad and the Infantry Squads counts as a single Troop activation)
5) Normal movement phase as per 40K
6) Shooting phase as per 40k
7) Assault phase as per 40K (note that the assaults are NOT resolve at this point yet)
8) Opponent repeats Steps 4 to 7
9) Play returns to you, repeat steps 4 to 7
10) Once every FOC slot everyone has has moved, time to resolve assaults
11) Resolve assaults as per 40k rules

This has ensure that shooty armies cannot be overpowered while retaining the "flow" of the turn. We have also incorporated suppression and Pinning ala Company of Heroes style. This makes the game more tactical than just "move-fling dice-win", imho.

while the second option that we are pondering is this:

Start of turn phase.
Both players perform 'compulsory actions'.
Both players attempt to rally units on poor moral.

Activation Phase.
Player A, picks one of thier units and carries out an order with this unit.
Player B picks one of thier units and carries out an order with this unit.
(Continue in this manner untill all units have carried out their orders.)

End Of turn phase.
Resolve Close Combat Assaults,etc.

Notes.
'Orders' consist of combining 2 actions .Actions are move or shoot.
So a unit can move twice,OR shoot and move, OR move and shoot, OR take 2 shooting actions.*
(*Current heavy weapons /ordnance that can not move and shoot are '2 shoot action weapons'.Eg you have to Take 2 shoot, actions to fire them.(NO movement allowed.)
If a unit moves into base to base contact with an enemy unit it counts as initiating an assault.

Currently we are testing the rules with the rumored 5th edition rules and it has proven to be a blast! Any ideas or constructive criticism is appreciated :biggrin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hullo guys, first off, I apologize if i appear to be necro-ing the thread.

First off, I have been using a slightly different style of turn sequence, and it has proved to be popular with my playgroup. Essentially,the new turn sequence is as follows:

1) Resolve any issues that say “beginning of turn” (i.e. Eldar psychic powers, etc)
2) Rally any broken units
3) Compulsory movements (Tyranid behaviour, Fleeing units...)
4) Pick a Force Organization Slot choice to activate it (i.e. 1 Troop, or 1 Elite. E.g. for Guard, this would mean the Command Squad and the Infantry Squads counts as a single Troop activation)
5) Normal movement phase as per 40K
6) Shooting phase as per 40k
7) Assault phase as per 40K (note that the assaults are NOT resolve at this point yet)
8) Opponent repeats Steps 4 to 7
9) Play returns to you, repeat steps 4 to 7
10) Once every FOC slot everyone has has moved, time to resolve assaults
11) Resolve assaults as per 40k rules

This has ensure that shooty armies cannot be overpowered while retaining the "flow" of the turn. We have also incorporated suppression and Pinning ala Company of Heroes style. This makes the game more tactical than just "move-fling dice-win", imho.

while the second option that we are pondering is this:

Start of turn phase.
Both players perform 'compulsory actions'.
Both players attempt to rally units on poor moral.

Activation Phase.
Player A, picks one of thier units and carries out an order with this unit.
Player B picks one of thier units and carries out an order with this unit.
(Continue in this manner untill all units have carried out their orders.)

End Of turn phase.
Resolve Close Combat Assaults,etc.

Notes.
'Orders' consist of combining 2 actions .Actions are move or shoot.
So a unit can move twice,OR shoot and move, OR move and shoot, OR take 2 shooting actions.*
(*Current heavy weapons /ordnance that can not move and shoot are '2 shoot action weapons'.Eg you have to Take 2 shoot, actions to fire them.(NO movement allowed.)
If a unit moves into base to base contact with an enemy unit it counts as initiating an assault.

Currently we are testing the rules with the rumored 5th edition rules and it has proven to be a blast! Any ideas or constructive criticism is appreciated :biggrin:
I really like your second option here. I had been trying to get some of my regular opponents too try something similar to this. Did your group ever get to try this with the 5ed rule set.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts