Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been searching for hours, and while I can't find the answers I need, I get the sense this is a much belabored topic.

Is it me, or is the turbo penetrator round, heck the exitus rifle in general, pretty much different weapons according to the codex vs the Officio Assassinorum?

in the codex: It has 36" range, STR X, ap2. A TP round "has an armor penetration of 4D6."

in the OA: It has a 72" range, STR X, ap2. However, a TP round "against vehicles, shots from a TP round count as strength 10..."

So... do we roll glance/pen hits based on STR 10 or STR 4D6? I don't understand what "has an armor penetration of 4D6" means, if the AP is clearly 2 and it counts as STR 10 against vehicles. I can't find "armor penetration" used like this basically anywhere else, and AP 4D6 would be terrible, so I doubt that is what it means.

Alright, maybe this is a super simple question, and I hope so, so thanks to anyone who answers it. The unit in question belongs to my friend that I play most of my games with, and I'm tired of losing Falcons to a weapon neither of us really understands.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
pretty much different weapons according to the codex vs the Officio Assassinorum
Are you referring to the out of date Grey Knight one that still included Inquisition and Assassinorum forces?

Welcome to Heresy, by the way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In the older rules, it counts as Str 3 + 4D6 vs. vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks guys, we just got back into the hobby after about 15 years off... there is much to learn.

The information I have is coming from the 7th edition Space Marine Codex, and the 7th addition OA (tired of figuring out how to spell that). I still can't quite figure out if we are to add the rules together, or forget about the codex entry all together. For example:

Vindicare shoots a TP round at my Falcon's front armor. (12) A 2+ will result in a hit as I recall, and then you roll... ?

Adding the rules means you roll 4D6+10 as I understand it, meaning anything with less than 14 armor will ALWAYS pen. Possible, but that seems maybe a touch too powerful to me.

Simply taking the rules in the OA, you would just roll 1D6+10, which is still formidable, and it gets 72" range which scares me... And it possibly wounds multiple times, but I can figure that out later.

STR 3 seems not to apply, as the OA states it is STR 10 against vehicles, and it sounds like those are the most accepted rules. Anyway, thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The latest release for assassins is the dataslate. Here it is clearly stated. That you shoot at vehicle with str 10 AP2. Nothing els. That means if you hit, then you roll 1D6 add 10 and use that result for glance or penetration.

In codex space marine there is no assassins nor any turbo penetrator rounds.

In your example it would look like this. Assassin rolls to hit on a 2+. If he fails he will get a second chance on 4+ due to his BS8. When he hits he then rolls 1 D6 and add 10 to the result. So a roll of 2 would mean a glance and a roll of 3 or higher would mean a penetration. Then the tank gets to roll cover or jink saves if any is allowed. Assuming the hit is not saved and that it is a penetration, then the assassin rolls on the damage table adding +1 to his roll. A result of 6 = exploded tank.

I hope that has clarified your question?

/Jonas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very much so, thank you! Great site you all have here, I expect we will be referencing it quite a lot in our quest to learn this game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts