Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in the story for Ulthwe it often says that they do not use aspect warriors as heavily as other craftworlds. While I know to play a competitive army for eldar you practically need these aspect warriors, I would like to play a list with none of them. I have the older codex, so I know the units pretty well, I would just like sample lists if you have any input or suggestions for this 'themed' list (This will be for my own enjoyment, I know I will loose quite often but it'll look cool).

Eldrad Ulthran (Definately)

Farseer (I want to be VERY psychic heavy)

Warlocks in every squad, possibly a warlock squad with Eldrad

A lot of Guardians and Storm Guardians (Very supportive of my theme)

Possibly Rangers (Rangers with the Ulthwe colors would look AWESOME, IMO)

I'm a bit torn between War Walkers and Vypers (This would be for AT)

Wraith units can be used (As they are not aspect warriors, but I don't want to be wraith heavy)

A good number of vehicles, I was thinking of a wraith-flyer (Since the Crimson Hunter is technically an aspect warrior)

The one aspect warrior I MIGHT add would be Dark Reapers, because in their fluff they have a heavy connection with Ulthwe (Correct me if I'm wrong)

So what's your opinion on my build, I know it's not a list yet, but it's the foundation to start playing with numbers once I get the book. I am looking to make a few lists so I have options (between 1k and 2k). I would really appreciate any feedback as I've never played Eldar (I want a list before I purchase any models).

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a bit hesitant about brightlances in Guardian Squads, since aren't they hitting on 4s? But i do like the Scatterlaser/Brightlance idea, to make the Brightlance TLed. And what do you think about placing flamers in the SG squads (then I dont need to worry about missing with the fusion pistols), also MUCH better overwatch since I'm going to be hoping out of a non-assault vehicle there are quite a few units mobile enough to assault me. But I really like the idea for the list, and Lastly, is that too many SGs? Because the transports are too expensive to be 'just' a transport, maybe take another squad that wouldnt need a transport, like rangers?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct about Scatter Laser, I meant make the Walkers SL/BL, since twin linking is per model now. I did not know Guardians were BS 4 in the new Codex, that's sweet :good:!!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what is your take on the Weapon Platform squad? I just bought the book yesterday and I haven't combed through it yet, but I believe last codex there were 3 guns you could choose from. I remember liking the monofilament barrage choice (you don't need line of sight with barrage weapons, right?).

Also, I just looked at the slot for HQ and Warlocks are expensive, so how do you run a warlock squad? Fleshbane makes them look like they are for close combat, but with T3, I feel like I'd die like a chump before round 2. Do the witchblades have AP?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've made my 1st attempt at a 1500 point Eldar list with no aspect warriors. Here it is, comments and criticism is welcome. (I know we discussed fusion guns vs. flamers, but I like flamers very much so I am going with them. I'd even like to find 10 spare points to add 2 more flamers into the storm guardians). This list has a LOT of psychic capability (10 dice base turn 1, 11 with Wraithfighter), and also has a LOT of pinning weapons. Farseers go with the Guardian Defenders, and I will try to keep the enemy pinned (with Wraithfighter and psychic powers I should have a better chance than normal)! Whether this army is going to be competitive or not, it will sure be fun to play :grin:

1500 Point Ulthwe List

Farseer (w/ Singing Spear) - 105
Farseer - 100

Guardian Defenders (10 Man, Bright Lance, Warlock) - 145
Guardian Defenders (10 Man, Bright Lance, Warlock) - 145
Storm Guardians (10 Man, 1 Flamer, Warlock) - 130
Wave Serpent (Scatter Laser, Ghostwalk Matrix, Holo Fields) - 145
Storm Guardians (10 Man, 1 Flamer, Warlock) - 130
Wave Serpent (Scatter Laser, Ghostwalk Matrix, Holo Fields) - 145

Hemlock Wraithfighter - 185

Vaul's Wrath Support Battery (3 Vibro Cannons) - 90
War Walkers Squadron (2 Walkers, Scatter Lassers + EMLs, Spirit Stones) - 180

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought the D-Cannon was too expensive for a unit I wanted to keep cheap, I was origionaly going to run the Shadow Weaver Cannon, but I wanted to stick to my mass pinning idea. Also the Hemlock Wraithfighter was to help with the mass pinning tactic, do you really think it is that off-topic from Ulthwe? I know wraith is more Iyanden, but I haven't read anything saying Ulthwe don't use many wraith units.

If I do get rid of the Hemlock Wraithfighter, another Guardian Defender blob does sound useful, but don't I need a 20 man group to run 2 Bright Lances?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! That is some pretty kick ass fluff, but your right, it doesn't seem themed to my army :p. Sooo, I can add 2 more War Walkers (The EMLs were to add yet more pinning) or I was also thinking of adding a Falcon (I am in love with the Falcon model). But are falcons worth there points? What are there viable tactics? I was thinking rush past a vehicle with it's ungodly range, and fry a heavy vehicle's rear armor with targeting matrix (I can't remember what that upgrade is called).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.