Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posed this to a number of people I know who are into the 40k universe (books, games, tabletop, ect) after reading a "rumor" on another forum about this and it concerned the Emperor of Mankind. Once or twice a week, several of my brothers friends gather for their gaming sessions for whatever genre they're interested in at the time. Sometimes, it's Warhammer Fantasy, sometimes it's 40k. Othertimes they're tromping through some generic AD&D universe campaign. During a break they had, I told them of a recent rumor I'd heard about the Emperor in that it'd be suggested/rumored that in the next major update the Emperor of Mankind would have 1 of 2 things happen to him:

A) He dies, yet ascends to true divinity (seriously, 1,000 psykers a day for 10,000 years + the worship of trillions of people might just do the trick)

or

B) He dies, but is ultimately reborn somewhere down the road.

This naturally set them ablaze in their talks. While they had differing of opinions on the subject/rumor, they all agreed that it would be the 1st major step forward for the 40k universe (story wise) in a long time. A couple actually got excited thinking about all the chaos that'd spring up as a result (all the false "I'm the Emperor Reborn!" nitwits running around. Splinter factions/chapters popping up all over the place. Chaos Legions and Demonic Horde running rampant (seriously, one of these guys was happy about that idea as those are his troops).

Personally, I'd be game for something like this as it'd open up so much in regards to the new story content/universe options that we (as both players of the game, whether it be simply PC or Tabletop gaming) would experience. I know there's some folks who'll go to their graves, sticking to how things are right here, right now, just as there are folks who still play AD&D v.1.0 Ruleset.

How likely is something like this to becoming a reality? Or is GW pretty much set on keeping the status quo as-is?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Highly doubt this would ever happen, but if it did, it'd be niice. GW doesn't like moving the story forward, though. I think a move like this could make tons of people happy, but at the same time, has a risk of upsetting lots of fanboys.

It could be an excuse to bring back the LATD as their own dex though, which would be *awesome*!

I'd be for it, but I'm taking this with a box of salt.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It won't happen.

40k is essentially a history wargame, the 41st millennium isn't the present for the actual Imperium it's just the recent past so GW have no need to advance the storyline because they've got so many other millennia to fill in first.

If the Emperor actually died it would easily piss off as many people as it would please- I for one would be angered if GW actually took that final step towards human extinction instead of keeping the Imperium at '2 minutes to midnight'.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
It's the Gilligan principle; if he got off the damn island it would end the series, therefore he will never leave it- unless the show doesn't get renewed for another season and they have to end it. Problem is that if GW went tits up it would just stop, there wouldn't be an ending.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I like the 40k game as is, but the storyline is beginning to drag imo.

I wouldn`t mind the progression, but then there are these guys (Baron) who would go apeshit if anything actually changed. Despite the amount of retcons that have already happened...

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Lol can you imagine GW playing the LOST game with its fans. Fucking up the story with one side getting ahead then trying to repent by making up crazy shit along the way... The emperor is actually... and then LOST apears at the end of the book.

By the way even if he had 1000 souls a day, it would only come to 3.4 billion. or somewhere around there. lets say he takes about half a billion more for tax purposes. its only four billion souls. The Purge chapter alone killed 14 billion people and their souls more than likely are going to feed nurgle. Which is only one chaos god

·
Registered
388 Posts
By the way even if he had 1000 souls a day, it would only come to 3.4 billion. or somewhere around there. lets say he takes about half a billion more for tax purposes. its only four billion souls. The Purge chapter alone killed 14 billion people and their souls more than likely are going to feed nurgle. Which is only one chaos god
True, but every single one of those souls powering the Goldren Throne are psykers. I'd imagine their souls have a lot more "juice", particularly with how much the Chaos Gods are attracted to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i agree with serpion, the whole emperor on the golden throne thing is starting to drag, having him die would make the story more interesting, maybe a civil war will break out in the imperium again as everyone scrambles for power or somthing like that?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Nope, its never going to happen. I've always viewed 40k as a setting rather than a progressional storyline. In the decades 40k has been around, the storyline has never moved on and nothing new has ever been added. Everything has always been there, its just things have been revealed...

·
Registered
488 Posts
5th edition: One morning, the Mechanicus realizes the throne is failing. Drama and suspense!
6th edition: One morning, the Custodes realizes the Emperor is missing. Drama and suspense!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.