Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think about Emperor's true nature? He is a perpetual, first among equals. He is a god-in-waiting. He is a godling, divine apotheosis of humanity. He is not human nor god. He is anathema. He is untouchable. He has a thousand facets. He has ten thousands faces. He has infinite, living embodiment of human psyche. He is the galactic psychic powerhouse. He lives approximately forty, fifty thousand years. He shares kinship with Malcador. He is deceiver, a trickster. He is both savior and tyrant. He is the master of mankind and antithesis of gods. He is utter enigma. He is paradox incarnate. No one, even the likes of Malcador and Valdor, don't no his true, innermost hearts and desires. He is all and he is nothing.

Thus, who he is? Free guess, conjecture and speculation time!

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
He is a perpertupial. The main question is if if Horus killing him made him ascend to godhood. Many argue yay, many argue nay. I guess ts up to the individual in question, but the again him being the main character this setting is awfully a lot of not being about him.

·
Registered
437 Posts
He is a perpertupial. The main question is if if Horus killing him made him ascend to godhood. Many argue yay, many argue nay. I guess ts up to the individual in question, but the again him being the main character this setting is awfully a lot of not being about him.
A perpertupial eh? Does that mean he has a pouch and 2 penises like a kangaroo :grin:

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Its a good question. My first reaction towards the Emperor being a God is no. However, when I say that, I also ponder on the possibility of him being a god. I had a thread that pondered on the concept of Chaos and undivided. In some respects the Daemon Princes are considered by some to be gods.

How is this relevant? Well, these are the closest we have to beings coming from more down to earth powers to actually reaching a very godlike state of power. In the 40k universe we do see the possibility of creatures becoming way stronger than they used to be. Magnus during the Battle of the Fang really demonstrated great power which could be considered Godlike. This is relevant to the Emperor in the sense that he is still corporeal. The question there in lies whether he would be able to keep himself from vanishing in the Warp. Because essentially in order for him to become a god he would have to create an identity of himself that isn't material. Thats where questions like... how are undivided Daemon Princes created. Do they have to be made by a Chaos God or is there something else to an undivided or warp gifted individual that creates its own identity.

On the other hand, I think it would be interesting if there were other Chaos Gods within the Warp that see the Emperor as a benefit to themselves. This is probably more improbable seeing that he probably destroyed a very great many of them during the Great Crusade.

Someone actually made a pretty neat home-brew story on how the Emperor was actually made into a god called the Anathema. I thought the concept was cool. However, I feel that its hard to escape the Emperor's Corporeal form completely. Daemon Princes are often related to a Chaos God. So in this sense, the Emperor wouldn't truly be that concept of a huge God in comparison to the major 4 if indeed that was always the case. I also see another case where the Emperor might have created an image of himself or a direct reflection of himself in the Warp. What I mean by this is that though there are some aspects that reflect the Emperor's it isn't completely him and probably not something that would be greeted with open arms.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The first heretic explains this pretty well.
Oh yes, First Heretic, Ingefel, again(sigh). Sadly, she has a point.
Yes because a representative of entities that want to assfuck humanity for all eternity is a good, unbiased source.

The Emperor will condemn billions if it means saving the species as a whole. There is no other option given everything we know of WH40k.

He was a dick to some/most of his sons because despite the father-son relationship he fostered and the urge he instilled in each of his sons to fight for his attention, they were ultimately proxies made from test-tubes to lead humanity in his absence while he worked on much more important works.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
In Betrayer, Lorgar remarked Magnus is almost like emperor in terms of power and appearance(not face, but his countless, myriad facets and aspects and constantly changing appearance. Though Lorgar makes a stretch by saying Magnus' power is on par with Emperor, as Crimson King himself immediately dismissed.

Regardless, I think Magnus is almost like avatar of Emperor, at least in some aspects, especially in terms of Warp/psychic/magick etc.
This is the quote you are referring to:

Magnus denies this so Lorgar's point is mute especially given the huge gap between Lorgar and Magnus in understanding the Warp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a good question. My first reaction towards the Emperor being a God is no. However, when I say that, I also ponder on the possibility of him being a god. I had a thread that pondered on the concept of Chaos and undivided. In some respects the Daemon Princes are considered by some to be gods.

How is this relevant? Well, these are the closest we have to beings coming from more down to earth powers to actually reaching a very godlike state of power. In the 40k universe we do see the possibility of creatures becoming way stronger than they used to be. Magnus during the Battle of the Fang really demonstrated great power which could be considered Godlike. This is relevant to the Emperor in the sense that he is still corporeal. The question there in lies whether he would be able to keep himself from vanishing in the Warp. Because essentially in order for him to become a god he would have to create an identity of himself that isn't material. Thats where questions like... how are undivided Daemon Princes created. Do they have to be made by a Chaos God or is there something else to an undivided or warp gifted individual that creates its own identity.

On the other hand, I think it would be interesting if there were other Chaos Gods within the Warp that see the Emperor as a benefit to themselves. This is probably more improbable seeing that he probably destroyed a very great many of them during the Great Crusade.

Someone actually made a pretty neat home-brew story on how the Emperor was actually made into a god called the Anathema. I thought the concept was cool. However, I feel that its hard to escape the Emperor's Corporeal form completely. Daemon Princes are often related to a Chaos God. So in this sense, the Emperor wouldn't truly be that concept of a huge God in comparison to the major 4 if indeed that was always the case. I also see another case where the Emperor might have created an image of himself or a direct reflection of himself in the Warp. What I mean by this is that though there are some aspects that reflect the Emperor's it isn't completely him and probably not something that would be greeted with open arms.
In Betrayer, Lorgar remarked Magnus is almost like emperor in terms of power and appearance(not face, but his countless, myriad facets and aspects and constantly changing appearance.

Regardless, I think Magnus is almost like an avatar of Emperor, at least in some aspects, especially in terms of Warp/psychic/magick etc. And I also think Big E himself is a sort of avatar of sleeping/waiting god...and god of what?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the quote you are referring to:

Magnus denies this so Lorgar's point is mute especially given the huge gap between Lorgar and Magnus in understanding the Warp.
Just now I cross confirmed same source and accordingly deleted that post. But it seems you already replied...:(

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
In Betrayer, Lorgar remarked Magnus is almost like emperor in terms of power and appearance(not face, but his countless, myriad facets and aspects and constantly changing appearance.

Regardless, I think Magnus is almost like an avatar of Emperor, at least in some aspects, especially in terms of Warp/psychic/magick etc. And I also think Big E himself is a sort of avatar of sleeping/waiting god...and god of what?
You are referring to post daemonhood, correct? Because right now he is virtually immortal and indestructible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You are referring to post daemonhood, correct? Because right now he is virtually immortal and indestructible.
Yes. Deamon Prince, immortal version of Magnus. But IIRC, somewhere in A Thousand Sons novel said Magnus is made of more warp/empyrean stuff than physics/matter, and simultaneously exists in both realms.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
One of the most interesting titbits concerning the nature of the Emperor, in my opinion, comes from Aurelian:

...The exact wording is: "...In yet another, you defied the Anathema - the creature you name the Emperor, falsely considering it to be human - and you were executed by your brothers Curze and Russ..."

...What I find more interesting is Ingethel referring to the Emperor as a "creature" and an "it", whilst also claiming the Emperor is "falsely considered human"...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts