Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year I will be using the Army Painting Challenge to finish up my Nid army. I have about 1000 points completed now, and would like to complete another 1000 points before moving on to a new army.
So far I have completed:
3 x Warriors 6 Ymgarl Genestealers 15 Termagants 8 Termagants with Devourers 8 Hormagaunts 8 Genestealers 9 spore mines 8 Gargoyles 1 Carnifex 1 Biovore
Here are a few action shots from my 1st battle report.( http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76339 )

Fex

Genestealers

Warriors

Group Shot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the first month of the challenge I will be working on a Tyrant Guard and a Hive Tyrant. I will also be magnetizing the weapons on the Tyrant as well, and this will be my fist time trying this.
So far I have these models cleaned with steel-wool and mold lines removed.
I have to say I’m not impressed with the fit of the Tyrant model, there are some bad gaps on the tail join section and even worse ones on the upper body assembly- I will have to use some green stuff to fill these in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a modeling knife and a small file to remove mold lines. I use the steel-wool to clean and smoothen out the model. It’s a tip I seen somewhere once. It basically just smoothes the surface of the model to let the paint lye flatter. Next time I do a steel model I will take some before and after shots.

I have all the magnets in now and I will post some pics of how I did it soon. I had to use 4 extra small magnets and 6 small magnets. I drilled small holes in the armpits of the upper body to rest the magnets into - then glued them in place. I then cut the shoulders straight and proceed to drill small holes in them to fit the small magnets into (I did this for the gun arm and the ammo arm). I then drilled small holes in the gun and ammo arm join section thingy lol and fitted the extra small magnets into that. Now I just have to maybe clean it up a bit of green stuff and snap a few pics.
 

·
Unfinished Project King
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
Looking good so far! I like the green color scheme.
 

·
Mentally hilarious
Joined
·
864 Posts
I'm assembling, magnetizing, Green stuffing, converting and painting a Hive Tyrant for a friend of mine so I feel your pain about that kit. After doing pretty much everything in plastic (with my marines) it was real pain in the arse just to put it together (and don't get me started on the Zoanthropes!). Let's just say my dremel is now my best friend ;)

By the looks of it you've done great work on it already! Will be nice to see how it develops! :)
 

·
Unfinished Project King
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
I agree with Xeno! That model is a pain in the ass to assemble... That being said it is one of my favorites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm assembling, magnetizing, Green stuffing, converting and painting a Hive Tyrant for a friend of mine so I feel your pain about that kit. After doing pretty much everything in plastic (with my marines) it was real pain in the arse just to put it together (and don't get me started on the Zoanthropes!). Let's just say my dremel is now my best friend ;)

By the looks of it you've done great work on it already! Will be nice to see how it develops! :)
Yeah, I’m not a fan of metal models, but I expected more from this kit seeing as it cot $59 CND . I thought about magnetizing the lashwhip/bonesword and talons, but there was no point because I will never run talons. I’m looking forward to getting this one done – I need the synapses. I’m going to pretend I never heard that about the zoanthropes – I have two sitting on my desk for another months challenge. lol
 

·
Unfinished Project King
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
Zoans are the worst. I still have them unpainted and unassembled except for the tail attached to the base. You are going to need to seriously weight the base to keep them from falling over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here they are got them finished in time. This is the first time that I used magnets, greenstuffs and water effects. I’m very pleased with how it came out, but a little pissed at my purity seal because it made my tyrant guard look frosted so I didn’t use it on the tyrant.
Here is a bunch of pics from a few angles.





















Here you can see how the magnits go together lol



And this is the first mini that my girlfriend ever painted and it came out awesome – I wish my first minis came out half this good. :(







 

·
Unfinished Project King
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
Love the greens! Nice looking tyrant!
 
1 - 20 of 184 Posts
Top