Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm obsessed with Bikes it seems, and this one is different enough from what I've tried before with Eldar. (Which was complete skimmer spam.) And was hoping to get thoughts on it's potential, even though I do have a feeling it's in for some rough situations.

Here I delve into daring territory - Hit and Run maximization.

I just love Hit and Run, but no army comes to mind that uses the rule to full effect, so here's my attempt at that.

As hard to use as they are these are my basic units to fit this theme:

FST: 2 Shining Spears + Exarch - Exarch w/ Star Lance; Shuriken Cannon & Withdraw

FST: 2 Shining Spears + Exarch - Exarch w/ Star Lance; Shuriken Cannon & Withdraw

These are fragile but solid all round units for surgical strikes, and they establish the basis for my Hit and Run theme.

We also gotta worry about Land Raiders while maintaining a Hit and Run theme, so Harlequins come to mind, they can use their Fleet moves to keep in tandem with the bikes. Let's get the basics first, worry about the aesthetics later:

EL: 4 Harlequins & Shadowseer - 2 Fusion Guns; 5 Harlequin Kisses

Next is some scoring choices, let's do the old standby pansy Bikes as nice cheap base. I want to be light on points here because 1) They generally suck anyway, and 2) I want more things in the list. These guys are not expected to live long whatsoever, so we gotta Reserve 'em most likely and use 'em wisely:

TR: 3 Guardian Jetbikes - 1 Shuriken Cannon

And lastly we need a HQ to finish our foundation, and given the current state of 40k, I think we need some Psychic Defense only form of this we Eldar have is the Farseer...Have to give him a Psychic Power too, and I am looking at Fortune or Doom. Doom is usually a good army-wide buff so we'll go with that. Oh, and of course, Jetbike is a must.

HQ: Farseer - Jetbike; Runes of Warding; Doom

So we got our foundation, lot's of Speed and a hefty amount of Hit and Run, and units with duality. (Even the Jetbikes, although pretty sucktastic, have a chance to do something to vehicles.) So what do we add?

Well I'm thinking a more heftier Scoring unit for more survivability and more of a maneuvering force to help deal with threats, so let's do a more hefty Jetbike setup now:

TR: 6 Guardian Jetbikes + 1 Warlock Jetbike - 2 Shuriken Cannons; Embolden

Easy, more bikes, more fun and kept in place by a nice Warlock babysitter, and hey, Farseer can go in here for more success casting Doom, fun times.

I think we need more punch now with our remaining points so I look abstractly here and pull...some Warlock Bikers out! Good times!

HQ: 4 Warlocks - Jetbikes; 2x Destructors; 1x Embolden; 1x Enhance

Nice lil' mobile shock team, has your number and excellent support unit (I was considering Fortune over Doom for including a unit like this, but most of the list crumbles from a poorly planned Assault, so we won't try to make one unit live in my error. All or nothing baby!

And lastly, I add myself a Reserves option (Autarch) as well as another utility sponge/hammer to help myself out:

HQ: Autarch - Death Spinner; Laser Lance; Jetbike; Mandiblasters

So I think I'm pleased with the final result, how about you guys?

HQ: Autarch - Death Spinner; Laser Lance; Jetbike; Mandiblasters
HQ: Farseer - Jetbike; Runes of Warding; Doom
HQ: 4 Warlocks - Jetbikes; 2x Destructors; 1x Embolden; 1x Enhance

TR: 6 Guardian Jetbikes + 1 Warlock Jetbike - 2 Shuriken Cannons; Embolden

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
There are 5 half strength assault units in this list. 4 of which will suffer from not likely not doing enough damage to the enemy to prevent sufficient return damage. 5 Harlies will have reasonable odds of killing a few of anything. However, they can only take so much in return as they are so fragile. 3 Shining Spears' assault value drops exponentially with every model that dies (not too hard even with a 3+ cover). Any time that any one of those Shining Spear squads or Harly squads get shot or in assault they will likely take too many casualties to be of any more assistance. They would probably be better off merged into single units.

The investment required to field Jetbike Warlocks comes needs to be backed up with investing into Fortune for the Farseer. That will keep that 220 points in the game. Merging the earlier units will net you the points to take both powers.

The list will likely have trouble against armies that have a high model count, as is or with tweeks. Just not enough attacks or shots.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I feel it sucks, but just trying it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if it was me id drop the harlies and drop one squad of spears. the fill out the other squad of spears and maybe take some warp spiders... any spare points look into giving your farseer fortune aswell (also dont think runes or warding is needed)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heh. I'd go the other way; I'd drop both units of spears, and bulk up your Harlies. Warp Spider squads aren't bad, but I'd probably give up the idea of regularly using hit and run with them. Occasionally, maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts