Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting in on a treeman, now! So far, I'm having a blast. I've just done the head, sort of a dopey-yet-grumpy, lopsided face, pealing bark, a few spites, some mushrooms, etc. Considering either some draped vines or moss off of the left branch/stump, what do you guys think?

From the front. Moss/vines off that left stump or no?

The back, with shroomies and a spite, also a tree-growth....

From above. Dunno if you can see it, but there's a bird's nest and two spites, just hangin' out up there...

Also, when I get to the hands, I was thinking about having him holding a dead somebody-or-other. I suppose a beastman would be the obvious choice, but then it gets a bit funky if you're playing against dwarves, say... what's a good multi-opponent corpse, do you guys think?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Looking bloody awesome so far, love the birds nest touch. As for what victim, I think a human type form would be the most versitile especially if he doesn't have a head, that way it could be an human of any faction, a beastman, chaos warrior etc Could even work as an elf if needs must. You intending on casting and selling this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, thanks! Went back and forth on the bird's nest. I couldn't remember if Treebeard from LOTR had a bird's nest, and I didn't want to be copy-catting... Human is proabably the way to go. I like the headless idea, heck, headless it could almost be a scrawny beastman... sorta...

As far as casting/selling goes, most likely. First goal is treeman for my slowly growing Wood Elf Army, but I do sell the occasional sculpt/cast. I'll see how he comes out. If he's cast-worthy, then yeah, probably.

-Zack

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Most of my few sculpty hours last couple days have been turned over to working on "The King" for someone else, sigh. BUT I did get the basic right arm of Mr. Treeman all blocked in. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish up the King and get to detail this arm, add in a dangling dead beastman...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've more or less finished up my work-sculpt, so now it's back to play-sculpt. YAY! I've got the two arms of the Treeman well under way.

The left one, here, will be reaching forward in a "rawr" sort of way.

The right will be at his side/behind him, losely holding a dead beastie (just starting the beastie). Wish I'd gotten a better view of his face, he's got a nice rictus-snarl going!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, all that's left is the torso, and then I can cast and paint him! Excited to finally have a treeman, I mean really, what self-respecting Wood Elf army doesn't have a freikin' Treeman???

Here's the left arm, that will be reaching out.

The right arm with the beaten-up beastman.

The Base, with his feet attached...

And of course the head.

Man oh man do I want to get that torso done and get him all together...

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
This is looking seriously fantastic mate. Do you scratchbuild all your models? Have you ever thought of starting an alternate modeling company :grin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is looking seriously fantastic mate. Do you scratchbuild all your models? Have you ever thought of starting an alternate modeling company :grin:
I have a fair amount of standard/converted models, but I'm currently building a scratchbuilt Wood Elf army.

Also, I'm in the start-up phase of running an alternate model site at the moment! I've done Sculpt Commissions off and on for a while, but I'm starting to pick up speed with that, and should soon have cast duplicates available, so I'm a bit 'cited about that...!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's done! Phiu. On to mould-making and casting, and then hopefully painting next week!

Some shots of him. Not held together by anything, I just sculpted the arms, feet, head and body with little pegs and sockets, like lego. Once he's cast, then I'll actually put him together and paint him up!

·
Registered
158 Posts
not bad but I do suggest to hold of on the casting and mold making because it costs alot.... I mean like alot to get a mold made and so on. So if you only want one just use him if you are making more make sure you can get your money back.

So what tools / medium/ products do you use?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts