Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read plenty of stories about spacecraft and people being caught in the warp for thousands of years so that in essence they travel forward in time so that only 10 years have passed for them while a thousand years has passed in realspace.

Is there any fluff or has anything been said about travelling back in time so that a spacecraft emerges from the warp before it entered?

I remember there is some fluff about there being a part of the webway where time flows backwards but does this effect exist elsewhere?

If so, I wonder about the usual paradox questions about changing events.

I'm sure COTE has some info/opinions on this and I look forward to them and to everyone else's thoughts too.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
There is the novel Desert Raiders by Lucien Soulban,

As for the webway, Atlas Infernal by Rob Sanders does show that the webway has some sort of restorative properties. At the start of the novel, Inquisitor Czevak is a four hundred year old man whose body would fail him without a stasis suit. After some time in the webway, despite having grown older his body is significantly younger and more youthful.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
There's the story of an ork warboss leading a waaagh who unexpectedly goes back in time and ends up deciding to kill himself because he wanted another one of his favourite weapon.
.......Only an ork would screw up the cliche and kill himself.....although I don't think orks have parents, so they don't really have much to screw up. To my knowledge the warp travel (time) can be both forwards and backwards or stationary. You can travel through the warp and come out millennia before you left or millennia after you left or even the exact second you left.

One thing my a friend likes to use as an example is 'a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress.a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress.'

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
.......Only an ork would screw up the cliche and kill himself.....although I don't think orks have parents, so they don't really have much to screw up. To my knowledge the warp travel (time) can be both forwards and backwards or stationary. You can travel through the warp and come out millennia before you left or millennia after you left or even the exact second you left.

One thing my a friend likes to use as an example is 'a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress.a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress. a ship receives a distress call from 2 systems away, they enter warp and head to the system they hit a warp storm and is damaged. They exit the warp and investigate the planet the signal should be coming from and find nothing. Unable to enter warp 'safely' the ships sends a distress call orbiting the planet that they should find the ship in distress.'
He literally entered the warp and exited the warp prior to him entering the warp so there were two of him at the same time but the other one was him in the "past" so to speak so he ordered his fleet to attack them so he could get a second of his favourite blasta or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, for what it's worth, since science is on the brink of proving multiple parallel universes, the grandmother paradox isn't really a problem anymore so long as you can escape your own light cone (which warp travel should permit)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There's a good chance that the orks aren't aware that killing yourself in the past is a bad thing. So it's totally possible that their latent abilities means that if they kill themselves there's a chance that it would just be a typical tuesday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts