Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Transports are allways taken as an upgrade for another unit and may only transport the unit it was bought for."

So my question is, if I take a Squad of Retributors that's under six models (the Immolator's capcity is 6 models) and take the Immolator as a transport does the Immolator count as a additional Heavy Support slot or does the Immolator come with the Retributor Squad's Heavy Support slot?

·
Registered
804 Posts
comes with the squad and does not take up a additional HS chioce, as far as i know at least

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
If the transport is listed as an option for the squad in the squad's entry, then it is a Dedicated Transport and comes with the unit, doesn't take a HS choice.

However, if you have the option of taking the tank by itself without a squad (if it has its own HS entry) then you have the option of taking it as a HS choice, in which case, it can be used to transport anyone that'll fit.

To use a more common example, take Space Marines.

Land Raider is a HS choice. If you take it as a HS choice, it uses a slot but you can use it to transport any squad that can fit inside.

However, Land Raider is Also listed as a Transport option for squads of Terminators, or Terminator Command Squads.
If you take it as a Transport Option, then it no longer takes a HS slot, but it can ONLY be used to transport the squad for which it was purchased.

Meanwhile, some vehicles like, say Razorbacks, can only be taken as Transport Options. A razorback never takes a slot on the FoC, but can only be used to transport the squad for which it was bought.

Likewise, the Land Raider Crusader (for normal marines) is an HS option, but NOT a transport option for anyone, so you could buy it as a Heavy Support choice and use it to transport anyone, but it always takes a slot, even if you use it to transport a normal terminator squad.

Make sense?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Galahad said:

Land Raider is a HS choice. If you take it as a HS choice, it uses a slot but you can use it to transport any squad that can fit inside.

However, Land Raider is Also listed as a Transport option for squads of Terminators, or Terminator Command Squads.
If you take it as a Transport Option, then it no longer takes a HS slot, but it can ONLY be used to transport the squad for which it was purchased.

There you go, I never knew that. I thought it took a HS slot even when used as a dedicated transport for termies.

:cyclops:

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Also worth noting, a Land Raider, Dedicated or not, is always a scoring unit (at least it is for most chapters, depending on how your dex is written and whether or not it references the SM dex ;-) )

So, yeah, taking a Land Raider for your terminators not only lands you a tank that doesn't eat your HS choices, but it's a scoring unit too.

Hell, here's another tidbit: Just because a transport is dedicated, doesn't mean you have to deploy it with the squad inside, or even anywhere near its host squad. You could plant your terms on one end of the board and their raider on the other.

You could even buy a Land Raider 'transport' for your term squad and have them beam in and deep strike instead. Though in this case, I believe the transport would be held in reserve and would roll onto the table the same round the terminators beam in.

Imagine

<roll> "Sweet, my Terminators have come up." <rolls>

"Huh, I'd have put it closer to the action. You'll never disembark those terminators if you start over there."

<grins> "Oh, I don't intend to." <begins>

·
Registered
37 Posts
wait i remembered some Inquisitors can "commandeer" transports so what happens in this case because doesn't it contradict the Dedicated rule?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Das Boogie Man said:
wait i remembered some Inquisitors can "commandeer" transports so what happens in this case because doesn't it contradict the Dedicated rule?
That's fluff, don't confuse it with rules. Basically it's the fluff excuse used to allow Inquisitorial unit to have either Rhinos or Chimeras.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
If an Independent Character (like an Inquisitor) joins a unit with a dedicated transport, he can use it (provided that the total number of models isn't too high, or restrictions like terminator armor, jump packs, etc are observed) but the entire squad has to mount up with him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So if I decide to deploy my troops (lets say 10 sisters of battle) seperate from a dedicated transport vehicle that i purchased for them in what order do I deploy them?

Should I deploy them both during the time I would deploy a single troops unit or something else? I would assume together because they are both the same choice in the organization chart as far as I know but I can't find anything to contradict or confirm that.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Don't quote me on this (I thought Landraiders always took a HS slot until Galahad showed me the error of my ways) but if the tranport is chosen from the unit list, it 'counts as' part of that unit in FOC terms - so when 'that unit' is placed on the table, it means 'all models from that FOC slot/choice' - the Sisters, and their transport (not necessarily in the same place). If it is a transport chosen from the HS section and as a HS choice (like a Landraider when not used as a dedicated transport vehicle) it should be deployed when HS choices are deployed.

That seems logical and is the way that I have assumed the rule works, but hey, that doesn't mean it's right... :D

:cyclops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts