Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am working on a Tervigon and I would like to get some sort of translucent membrane or fleece effect on the Termagaunts bursting out of the fleshy sack underneath the creature. But how to make that? Does anyone have any ideas on making a slightly pinkish translucent membrane?
Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
That water effect is good stuff, but it won't hold shape until it sets.

Whilst I haven't yet tried this, what I'm planning to do is get some styrofoam balls to glue together into a Tervigon birthingsac like shape. Once I've done that, I'll wrap the whole thing as close to the shape as possible with cling wrap, a single layer only. Lastly, I'll mix in some paint with water effects and glaze the cling wrap, potentially one 'facing' at a time. Once I've done a layer or three it will hopefully be rigid enough to PVA into the tervigon's hide.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I would try it using a stick of instant model. Soak it in hot water then strech it over the Termagaunts and glue it down. It will harden once it cools down.

Reactions: Silens

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The real water, once it starts to set, gets real goey like. You can shape and pull/tease it how you want, but it would be way way too much trouble for what your wanting to do. Plus, as real water cures, it tends to shrink a bit. Trying to make hold a shape other than a flat surface (as I showed in the tutorial) or having ripples (what I'm trying to perfect now) is the limit I'd use it for.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Cool idea, but way to complex for me to even consider. Maybe some of the tutorials on doing sheer fabric would be relevant, but I am not sure.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey Macrocalculator, good to see you posting.

I'm not sure what to suggest. The only thing I can really think of that matches your description is:

I'm not sure how to represent that in a miniature, and I'm doubly unsure of how to show it so the membrane isn't really fragile on the model. I could see maybe using some sort of clear epoxy resin over a layer of food plastic wrap but the bigger the gap you would span the more difficult it would be to affix the plastic wrap and harder it would be to layer on the resin.

In the film clip there is definitely a slick rubbery texture to it. Any of the materials that would work at a larger scale like a rubber balloon (or condom) would survive or travel well on a model. I suspect they would deteriorate pretty quickly.

I'll keep thinking about it though.

Weta actually did a sculpt of an Uruk birth and it does include some sort of clear membraneous layers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips. In the end I mixed some ancient red gore with water effects. This turned out to be just a bit too fluid to shape into a membrane but it was just gooey enough to fill the inside of the 'flesh sack' and take revolting up to 11. Here are the results. All that is left now is to pick out some extra details on the rest of the model (and cover up a few patches of misplace red and other colors). As you can see i smeared some of the red water mix onto the emerging termagaunt to make it look as if it is really bursting out of the filthy fluid. I also added some drops to the base to tie that to the model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts